The Beginning

Blossoming love

It was the Year 1878 during the Joseon Dynastry. In the courtyard of Lord Kim, the Minister of finance, the plum blossoms that opened offered a magnificent view of spring in all its glory. The two young boys, Ryeowook, aged five, and Sungmin, aged six, looked out of the room that faced the courtyard that was filled with plum trees and watched the white and pink flowers in companion silent. Sungmin turned towards Ryeowook who was lying on the mattress, "Wookie, are you feeling better?". The younger boy, with tousled jet black hair and eyes the colour of warm amber, turned towards his best friend and smiled, "Yes, Minnie hyung. Sorry for always troubling you to come and visit me." Sungmin shook his head and offered a sweet smile, "It's okay, Wookie, you must grow strong and healthy soon. Then I'll bring you out to play.". Wookie nodded but said nothing. Kim Ryeowook, the first son of the Minister of Finance, and Lee Sungmin, the first son of the Minister of Education, knew each other since Ryeowook's birth. Their mothers, being good friends, bought their sons together since they were toddlers. After Sungmin's birth and Ryeowook's mother found out that she was pregnant, both women initially agreed that if Ryeowook's mother gave birth to a daughter, they would marry her to Sungmin. However, although Ryeowook was a boy, when he was a month old, Sungmin's mother bought Minnie over to see Wookie whom he was instantly attached to. The two mothers watched in happiness and glee as Sungmin touched and played with baby Ryeowook. Wookie had been weak since he was a baby and often fell ill. Although he was sent to school along with Sungmin when he was four, he was often absent. Therefore, except for Sungmin, he did not have any other friends. Sungmin always visited him at his house and told the younger boy stories to cheer him up. As Sungmin watched Ryeowook who stared out of the room at the other kids who were playing nearby in envy, he was once again overwhelmed with the desire to protect the younger boy. There was once, when Wookie went to school after a long period of absence, Sungmin looked after him for the whole day and ignored the other boys who wanted to play with him. When Sungmin left Ryeowook sitting at a bench that faced the school lake, the other boys sneaked up from behind and drenched Wookie with a bucket of cold water. They laughed and scorned him for keeping Sungmin all to himself as silent tears streamed down Ryeowook's cheeks and he trembled from the cold. Minnie, returning with two cups of hot tea, saw what happened, dropped the cups, took off his Sagyusam( outer robe) and dropped it around the shivering Wookie. He scolded the other boys briefly before quickly bringing Wookie home. That night, as Ryeowook caught a fever from the cold water, Sungmin watched over him the entire night. He swore to himself that night that he'll grow strong and protect Ryeowook from any harm. He'll stay by Ryeowook's side forever...