Progress

Blossoming love

Sungmin's POV

Sungmin was holding his pounding head in his hands when the door to his bedroom slide open. To his utter surprise, Minister Kim stepped in. After meeting his eyes for a brief galnce, he turned his back towards the astonished young man, shaking his head and murmuring to the person who was about to follow him in. When the person obliged and stepped away, he closed the door and walked towards Minnie. Sungmin stood up hurriedly, offering the seat to him. An uncomfortable silence hang between them as their eyes avoided each other's and IMinnie was about to ask Minister Kim the reason for his visit when the older man abruptly spoke up,
 
"I have agreed to Hana's engagement with you. Now that it's fixed, could you just concentrate on building up your feelings with Hana and set Ryeowook free? "
 
Shaking his head apologetically, Sungmin responded politely,
 
"I'm sorry sir, but I can't comply to both of your requests. Hana is a very nice lady but I've only treated her as a younger sister. Besides, the one I truly love is Ryeowook. I won't ever betray his love for me by marrying his sister or anyone else for the matter. So please, just give us your blessings."
 
Minister Kim smiled sadly,
 
"You know and understand it as well as I do, Sungmin sshi. That would not be possible. I love Ryeowook a lot and like you drastically but to give my blessing to the both of you, i would be failing my responsibilities as both an elder and a father. Sungmin, what do you think you can do with your relationship with Wookie? Do you plan to marry him in this society? What can you give him other than your so-called love? Either way, both of you can only become lovers in the dark. Ryeowook is the only male in our family, just like how you're in yours. Please, don't just ask us to understand the two of you. Place yourself in our positions. Both of you are our heirs; We're dependent on the both of you to carry on the family line. The fact that both of you fell in love with each other is both heartbreaking and unacceptable. Sungmin sshi,  please break off your relationship with Ryeowook. If you can't do it, as his father, I'll do everything I can to make sure he gives up. This love is wrong in all ways. I'll give you two days to break off with Wookie. If you can't do that, I will send him away so that you two would never see each other again."
 
Without waiting for Minnie to reply, Minister Kim stood up, prepared to leave. Desperate, Sungmin cried out, "If you claim to love him so much, wouldn't you want him to be happy?"
 
Minister Kim turned back to look at Sungmin with a sad smile,
 
"If this carries on, he won't ever be happy, even if he's with you. And as his father, I'm trying to minimize the amount of pain he'll have to go through with this mistake."
 
With that, he left the room, leaving a frowning Sungmin. 
 
The door opened again, and this time, Sungmin was mortified to see that it was Hana. Rising, he bowed as she curtsied, "Hana." He greeted politely. She greeted back politely and awkwardness hang between the two young people. Hana shuffled forward and passed Sungmin a letter.
 
"I only came here to give you this; Orabeoni told me to pass it to you. Sungmin orabeoni, would you believe me if I say that I truly wish that your relationship with Ryeowook orabeoni would work out? I know very well that you don't and wouldn't love me; I saw the way you looked at my brother. Although I know that you would treat me with respect even if we really do get married, but it'll still be a loveless marriage. I admit that I like you but I know that love can't be forced. I don't know what Orabeoni wrote in that letter, but whatever it is, I hope you wouldn't hesitate to comply to what he suggests." 
 
A knock on the door broke off what she was saying and her head spun to look at the shadow standing behind of the door. Hurriedly, she finished off what she had to say, "Anyway, please believe me. I got to go now, Father only allowed me so much time to talk to you." Another knock came and she curtisied before fleeting to the door. 
 
"Hana." Sungmin called out and she stopped inches before the door, turning around to meet his eyes, "I believe you. Thank you for handing me this." Sungmin raised the letter. Nodding with a small smile, Hana stepped out of the room and the small smile turned into a smirk that she hid from her father by looking down and hiding her face.