Coming-to-age

Blossoming love

Fifteen Years Later...

The Kim Mansion was decorated in various bright colour as the servants busily prepared for the coming-to-age ceremony of their young master. Ryeowook was dressed in his finest hanbok made of emerald green silk with embroideries of  his favourite, plum flowers, sewn onto it. He sat silently, facing the dressing mirror while his mother and sisters fussed over him. "Wookie, you're finally twenty. Now, finally you're a full-grown man. Try to take better care of your body ." His mother told him as she smoothed his long, jet black hair that was combed up for the ceremony.. Wookie nodded and replied, "Yes, mother.", before a spasm of coughs seized his body. "Wookie!". His mother patted him softly on the back and asked in concern, "Are you alright? Hana, go get your brother a cup of tea.". Wookie accepted the cup of omija cha( a Korean herbal tea made from the berries of Schisandra chinensis) gratefully from his sister and sipped it slowly. "I'm fine, mother. Sorry for making you worried.". A male servant came to inform them that the young master should make his way to the great hall now where the coming-to-age ceremony was to be started in a few minutes time. As Ryeowook made his way to the Great Hall with his Mother and sisters, he was congratulated with well-wishes from servants and guests who came to watch his coming-to-age ceremony. He entered slowly the Hall with his heart pounding painfully against his chest. There were many high, honoured ministers and officials of the country that came to watch his ceremony and Ryeowook felt uncomfortable and slightly nervous under their inquisitive glares. With small, steps, he made his way towards his father who sat at the front of the room, he looked extremely serious and if not, even more domineering than ever. Panic seized Ryeowook and his eyes shifted to-and-fro across the room. When he met a pair of eyes, the colour of cognac, his anxiety subdued. Sungmin smiled back to Ryeowook, silently giving him support and encouragement to carry on with the ceremony steadily. Many of the officials that surrounded him was commenting on how graceful and handsome Wookie was, and they were discussing among themselves to make him their son-in-law. Sungmin, rolled his eyes at the endless conversations of how beautiful and well-matched the daughters of the ministers would be with Wookie. Minnie had his coming-of-age ceremony a year ago and his father attempted to match-make him a week after it. Sungmin refused his father and told him that he'll marry by his own choice. Minister Lee, knowing that his son could be quite adamant on his opinions, backed off, thinking that, well, with so many mothers that would surely surround him with their daughters, he eventually fall in love with one of them and marry. Sungmin shut out the continuous droning of the other officials and turned his full attention to Ryeowook who has now reached the front of the hall. Ryeowook kneeled elegantly onto small cushion placed in front of his father and folded two hands on his lap. He clenched his fingers tightly as his father rose slightly on his toes from his kneeling position. "Ryeowook, you have now come to the age of twenty years old. Be a responsible man and do the family proud as the first son.". "Yes...", his voice trembled and it was slightly inaudible. Then, he remembered Sungmin watching him and gained courage from his hyung. He rose his voice and replied in a strong and steady voice, "Yes, Father.". Minister Kim, then proceeded to place the gat(Traditional Korean Hat) on his son, concluding the ceremony. Wookie rose up and officials and Ministers crowded around him, shouting well-wishes and congratulations. Ryeowook briefly noticed his beloved mother tearing up slightly at the corner of the room, watching him. His focus was on Sungmin, who smiled at him and made his way towards the younger man. He pulled Ryeowook away from the hyenas with a slight excuse and they both escaped out to the courtyard. "Hyung! Stop running...". Ryeowook gasped, out of breath and leaned against the plum tree after Sungmin finally stopped and released him after hearing his plead. "Sorry, Wookie. Are you alright?". Sungmin bent and looked at Wookie with large doe eyes that shone with concern. Ryeowook nodded wordless and was rewarded with a smile. "Well, Wookie, Congratulations~ Here, this is your present.". Ryeowook blinked in confusion at the same package that Sungmin held out towards him. "But, hyung, I thought you gave me one the day before already?". Sungmin laughed, "That was just one part of it. Here, this is the second part.". Sungmin shoved the gift into Wookie's hand and urged the younger man to open it. "Hyung.... it's beautiful...". Ryeowook breathed when he opened and saw what was inside.