Daily Mornings

Only Tears

 

The sun was shining through the windows into your small room, lighting up every corner. You and your older sister, Chanah, shared a cramped room with a window at the right side of the room. The gas-oven was right below the windows together with a counter with a sink and a refrigerator. The mattress the two of you slept on was on the opposite side of the room. There was nothing else. You had to eat on the floor, your clothes were scattered all over the floor and you shared bathroom with your neighbors.

You squinted as the sunrays hit your eyes as you picked up your, old and almost broken, cellphone to check the time. It was already 6:08AM and you had to wake up for your daily routine or Chanah would throw a tantrum.

You got up from the bed, rubbed your eyes and then looked out of the window. The weather was really beautiful. You could see the birds in the clear blue sky fly in formations as the sun shone on them. On the ground there were a few trees with leaves among the houses. It was a stunning spring morning. It was a great feeling just standing there enjoying how the world could seem so peaceful. The mornings were always peaceful unlike the rest of your life. There weren't a lot of things that could cheer you up, therefore you really appreciated every moment that made you feel at ease.

You picked up some clothes on the floor, walked out of your room and into the bathroom that was at the end of the corridor. You took a shower, brushed your teeth, put on your dirty clothes that you hadn’t washed for some time and walked back to the room. You were relieved that Chanah still hadn’t woken up yet. This meant that you still had time to prepare breakfast for her. You picked up one pack of ramyun and fried two eggs before you poured the boiling water over the ramyun. As the noodles was getting ready you walked up to Chanah. Yousat down beside her and carefully shook her.

“Chanah unnie, wake up. Breakfast is ready.” You said with a soft and sweet voice. It was always hard to wake her up because she was a deep sleeper and she would get angry no matter how you woke her up. If you shook her too hard she would get angry and if you slowly woke her up she would blame you for getting late to school. Today she opened her eyes almost immediately, pushed you off the mattress and turned to the wall.

“Araesso! Euna, get off!” She said, irritated that you woke her up. You crawled to the bowl of ramyeon and sat beside it as you waited for Chanah to get up to eat. It didn’t take long before she finally got up from the mattress and sat beside you.

“Ramyeon again?” She complained as usual.

“Ne, you know it’s the only thing we can afford. I’ve already eaten, so eat it up.” You responded with a lie while looking at her with a smile.

“I’m tired of ramyeon” She said with an annoyed voice. She got up and poured the ramyeon out in the sink while you just stared at her action. You were used to this because she did the same thing every day. Even though she never ate you felt like you had to make her breakfast. She was the only relative that you had left and you felt like you had to take care of her.

“Did you finish my homework?” She continued as she picked up her clothes. You just nodded and pointed at her bag. She picked it up and left the room. After a few seconds you got up and started to eat the ramyeon she just poured out in the sink. You know that it wasn’t healthy for you but you thought it would be a waste if you just threw it away. With your mouth full you heard the door open and as you turned around you could see Chanah.

“You’re so disgusting” She said before she picked up her phone on the mattress and left. You wanted to stop eating and you wanted to cry, but you couldn’t. You had to stay positive to make your parents happy if they’d ever return after their disappearance 3 years ago. You thought of how happy your parents would be if they saw that you and Chanah had a great life. You ate up the ramyeon from the sink before you grabbed your bag and left for school.

 

Hello everyone! yay for my first chapter !! ^^ It starts kinda slow but more things will happen later on. I just want you to get to know the characters a bit before things starts to happen. :)

Comment and subscribe ? :) <3