Chapter 7

The story of beauty

JR

We walked out of the library, totally oblivious to the librarian’s glare. I told BaekHo and Minhyun to leave me alone. I needed some alone time. I wondered around the school until the bell rang dismissing the end of the school day. I pushed some of the weak kids out of my way and made my way towards my locker. I took out my leather jacket and slammed my locker closed, startling my locker buddy. I walked out of the school with a glare painted on my face and made my way towards my sports car. I started the car and pulled out. I drove towards the Han River. I stopped and parked my car when I finally got there. I rolled down the window and searched my glove box for the box of cigarettes. I found it and took out my lighter. I lit one and huffed in the nicotine.  I held it in and slowly released it back out. I looked around my surrounding, admiring the beautiful river. I sat there for a little while smoking and thinking.

MinKi should just pack his bags and move but he just doesn’t seem to get it. I wonder why he’s trying to be a girl when he’ll never be one. I pushed the thought of him out of my mind and concentrated on smoking. I looked at it and it was almost out, so I flicked it out the window and light a new one. I wondered where Dad was right now. Was he still with his mistress? I took a look at the time and it was already 7pm. I flicked the second cigarette out the window and started the car. I left the window opened as I sped on the highway towards my house.  I arrived and parked my car in front of the house. The house that I lived in was a cross between a mansion and a castle. The house was white with nicely designed coliseums supporting the roof. It had 8 bedrooms, housing the maids and butlers of the house. I got out and walked toward the front door.

“Welcome Mr. JongHyun” One of the butlers greeted. I bowed slightly and walked up the stairs towards my bedroom. I walked in and sat down for a little while before I changed out of my clothes. I wore a pair of black jeans and a black t-shirt. I walked out down the stairs. I stopped midway because I heard a soft voice calling out my name. I followed the voice down the stairs, towards the family living room. I opened the door to be greeted by my mother sitting at the piano holding her I.V bag.

“JongHyun, come and hug your mother” She said, smiling at me. I slowly walked across the room and bent down to hug my sick mother. I bit my lips to keep from bursting out in tears. My loving mother, the only person who actually cared about me was dying and my father had just left her to die alone.

“How was your day, JongHyunnie” She asked, pinching my cheeks.

“My day was alright. How was yours” I asked, trying to smile.

“My day was very good. I think the chemotherapy is finally working”

“Oh that’s great news” I said. Even though the chemotherapy wasn’t working for my mother anymore I still kept her on it, praying for a miracle.

“Your Noona called. She said that Australia is such a beautiful country and she said hi” I nodded at what she sayid. I wished Noona could come back home.

“JongHyunnie, can you play ‘last song’ for mommy?” She pushed back my hair so that I was looking at her in the eyes.

“That’s much better. Don’t hide your beautiful eyes away from the world” She said, smiling again. I faced the piano and let my fingers linger over the keys before playing. As I was playing, I felt a heavy object fall onto my shoulder. I kept playing and looked over to see my mother’s head lying on my shoulder.

“I wonder why you don’t smile anymore.”

I continued playing. I didn’t want to answer her question.

“You used to smile everyday and giggle at the littlest thing that happened but then you all of a sudden stopped” 

I stopped smiling the day I heard that my mother had Pancreas cancer and it was stage 3, which meant she was going to die. That was back in the 8th grade when I stopped believing in miracles. I now found my happiness in making other peoples’ lives a living hell on earth and my favorite victim happened to be MinKi who was weaker than me, both mentally and physically.

I ended the song and sat there.

“Bravo bravo. You’re wonderful as always” My mother said while clapping her hands. I heard a knock and told the person to come in.

“Dinner’s ready” The butler said, before excusing himself. I helped my mother get up and we both slowly walked out of the room, towards the dining room where the food had already been put on the table. I sat mother down first before I took my seat. I watched her as she picked up her fork and dug into her rice. I began to eat also.

“When are you going to bring a girl home?”

“I don’t know” I replied. She didn’t know about my relationship now or my past relationships.

“JongHyunnie, you want to hear a story?” She asked, setting her fork down. I nod my head yes and waited patiently for her to begin.

“When I was growing up, I had a best friend called Cho Hee. We used to do everything together so often that people started to think that we were sisters. If you saw one coming, you just knew that the other was just right around the corner. I took Cho Hee as my own sister even though we weren’t related. We went to high school together and graduated together. I met your father and I was head over heels for him. I remember Cho Hee warning me to stay away from your father but I was too blinded by love that I broke off our friendship and told her to stay away from me. She moved away and we lost contact. I wish I had listened to her advice, but if I had listened to her then I wouldn’t have had such wonderful children like your older sister and you” She said, looking down. I could see the sadness written all over her face.

“Do you ever regret breaking off your friendship with Cho Hee?”

“Yes, I still wish that we were friends. The last time I heard about her was that her husband had left her with their child and that she was working in a market but that was a long time ago. I don’t even know if she’s still alive” She said, wiping her eyes.

I dismissed the butlers and maids. I got out of my seat and made my way towards my mother. I pulled a chair next to her and hugged her. I held her and allowed her to cry on my shoulder before she stopped. I called out a few of the maids and butlers to come clean up. I slowly got up and carried my mother. I put her on my back and walked out, towards the stairs. I finally got to the top and walked towards their bedroom in which my mother had been sleeping in all alone with my father gone on a “Business” trip. Who in their right mind went on a business trip for a whole month? I opened their door and walked toward their queen sized bed. I threw over the cover and nestled my mother in bed. I hooked the I.V onto the stood and walk ed out.

It pained me to have to act as the husband for my mother.

New Day tomorrow but yet the same old story