Chapter 19

The story of beauty

JR

I go home with the image of MinKi still trapped in my head. I try forgetting about him by watching a drama but that doesn’t work. The image of him in a bra is still trapped inside my head. I place my phone on my bed and change out of my school uniform. I slip on my black skinny. Just as I’m about to put on my shirt, my phone rings. I put my shirt down and grab the phone, not looking at who is calling.

“Oppa, Let’s go out and eat” Angie says, on the other side.

“I can’t today” I say, sitting on the bed.

“Why?”

“I’m busy”

“Well, pick me up at 5pm. I’ll be waiting outside” She says, before hanging up.

Her attitude is really getting to me. She always wants to do stuff when I don’t feel like doing them. I get my shirt and put it on, then grab my car keys.

I go to my mother’s room to tell her that I’m going out.

“Mom” I say, opening the door.

“Hmmmm” She asks, lifting her head.

“I’m going out with a friend. I won’t come back for dinner” I say, standing in the door way.

“Okay, have fun” She says. I quickly go to her and give her a kiss before leaving. I get in my car and drive to Angie’s house. It’s 5:15pm when I arrive. She gets in the car, her face red.

“You’re late” I don’t answer the question and drive to our usual dining spot. When we get there, she orders the pasta carbonara and I order ggori gook (Korean oxtail soup). When the waiter leaves, I begin to hear the complaints on what I should eat and what I shouldn’t eat.

“JR, how can you even eat that?” She asks, taking a sip of her water.

“I like it and you should taste it before you judge” I answer, stretching.

“Eww no thank you, that thing smells” She says, as the waiter brings our food. I pour the rice in the soup and start eating. I can’t get enough of the oxtail.

“If you’re going to eat that then I suggest you turn away because I think I might puke” She says, covering her nose.

“You know what, I’m not hungry anymore” I say, setting my spoon down. I push away the soup and wait for her to finish. After she’s done eating, I pay the waiter and tip him for treating us so kindly. We walk to the parking lot and get inside the car. I look out the window, listening to Angie talk.

“Oppa, I’m sorry for making those rude remarks earlier” She says, putting her head on my shoulder.

“It’s okay”

“Okay” She says, pulling back.

“Oppa, when are we going to spend some alone time?”

“Don’t know” I answer, taking a quick glance at her.

“Did you notice MinKi today in gym?” She asks, letting out a sneer.

“Yeah”I say, the image of MinKi popping up in my head again.

“His face was so funny when the water splashed him, he looked so lost. Ewww he’s so icky and disgusting” She says, letting out a laugh.

“Yeah he is” I say, trying to block out the image of his face. He looked so embarrassed and on the verge of tears.

“Guess what I saw when I went back to the locker room?”

“What?” I ask my attention now on her. I want to know so badly.

“Okay so we went to the locker room to change. When we got there, he was nowhere to be found and so we proceeded to changing. While we were changing, he all of a sudden came out to get his clothes and change away from the general public. Well that wasn’t going to happen, so I took his clothes and made him change in front of everyone. Just as we were getting to the good part of him taking off his pants, some freak showed up and told us to get away” She says.

I slam on the breaks and stare at her for a moment.

“Angie, what the hell were you thinking? Do you know that he can report you for ual and verbal harassment for doing that?” I ask her, feeling a bit sorry for MinKi.

“Woah! Calm down. Besides he’s too much of a coward to even go and report” She says, flipping her hair.

“Angie, I’m telling you this for your own good. Don’t you dare try and pull that type of stunt ever again, not unless you want to get in trouble” I say, moving the car again.

“Alright Dad” she says, giggling.

“So who was the girl who came to his defense?” I ask, curious.

“It’s this girl named Yuna who got suspended last year for breaking into the school computer and changing her grades. She’s in our grade but you rarely see her because she’s always skipping” She answers. Now that I think about it, I’ve seen Yuna before. She’s maybe the only girl in our school who raps and likes dangerous stuff.

“That girl is so weird” Angie says, as I stop the car in front of her house.

“Oh”

“Oppa, thanks for the dinner” She says, unbuckling her seat belt. She gives me a small kiss before getting out of the car. I wait for her to get inside her house before driving away. I stop the car and put in a JYJ CD. I hit the play button and begin driving again. Their song ‘be my girl’ begins to play and I bob my head to the beat.

Don’t wanna hurt nobody

This is a song for you

Skippin all the afterparties

Girl, I’m goin home with you

Don’t even think about it

You gon feel what we gon do

Cause we’ll be falling in love all night long said I know she wanna be mine tonight

While I listen to the lyrics, MinKi suddenly pops up in my head. *Why do you keep on appearing inside my head?* I ask myself. I can’t help but remember his confused face when Angie splashed the water on him. His skin was glistening in the sun with the shirt hugging his chest.

“JongHyun quit thinking about him. You have a girlfriend” I tell myself, turning left onto my street. I stop the song and drive in silence until I reach my house. I park the car inside the garage and make my way inside. I don’t feel like going to see my mother because my mind is clouded with thoughts that need to get out. I change and wear my black basketball shorts. I crawl into bed with my phone in hand. The phone vibrates in my hand. I open the message that I’ve received.

JongHyunnie

 Good night

Mom -^^-

I text back a goodnight and go to sleep.