Could this be?

The story of beauty

 

JR

 I get out of my room and walk downstairs into the kitchen where MinKi is busy stirring something on the stove.

"MinKi, we need to talk" I call out. He stops stirring and looks at me.

"No, I’m working" He glares at me for a moment before going back to stirring.  I comb my hair and walk towards him, getting annoyed. I grab his wrist and drag him along with me.

"Let go of me!" he whines trying to free his wrist. I stop and turn around.

"If I don't let go of you, what are you going to do? Scream?" I question him waiting for an answer. He doesn't say anything, so I grab his hand and drag him upstairs to my room. We stand there in the middle of my room, staring at each other.

"Ahem...I would like to apologize to you for embarrassing you in front of the school, insulting you and taunting you. I'm sorry for everything I've done to you" I bow deeply, showing that I'm serious and sincere.

 "What is wrong with you JR? Do you suffer from multiple personality disorder? One minute you're being nice and the next you're being so mean. How can a human being be so cruel and venom?!?" He shouts, causing me to come back up.

"Quit being stupid, MinKi! At least I'm apologizing and admitting that I was wrong!!!!" I say out loud, raising my voice. At least I'm apologizing. "

“You think an apology will fix everything? Do you actually think that life is really that simple? If an apology could really fix everything, don’t you think everyone in this world would be doing it???" He asks, not giving up.

"I'm sorry. That's all I have to say. Choose to accept my apology or turn against it" I bow again and turn around, heading towards my bed.

"I accept your apologize JR" He says. I turn around and let out a smile.

"Forget everything I said in gym today. You're actually not a bad person now that I'm getting to know you" I say, getting out my phone. I look at the time and its 6:15pm.

"So do you want to practice for the script?” Minki asks.  I turn around to find him sitting on the chair by the desk.

"Ah no, not right now. Let’s start tomorrow. Hey my mom said that you brought some red bean buns." I say, walking towards him.

"Oh yeah, they're in my backpack. I'll go and get them." He gets up from the chair and starts making his way towards the door.

"I'll come and help you!" I walk after him but he stops and turns around.

"Why? I don't need help"

"Yeah you do. I'm coming" I reach out for the door knob, accidentally brushing my fingers against his chest.

"Sorry" I quickly mumble, opening the door. I walk briskly towards the stairs with Minki following behind. We walk down the stairs towards the kitchen.

 "Ah...JR, you’re going the wrong" He turns towards the hall next to the kitchen and begins walking.  I go after him down the hall. He opens the 2nd door and turns on the light, leaving the door opened. I look around before entering the room. I close the door and turn around, facing an okay looking room. The walls of the room are disguised in light green, while the upper walls are aligned with tiny light bulbs which brighten the room.

Lined up against the walls are lockers without locks. I walk towards the lockers, stopping suddenly in my footsteps. I turn to my left to find Minki leaning against a door, looking at me.

"Where does that door lead to?"

"It leads to the bathrooms and the changing rooms" He comes forward looking around for the bag.

"It's up there" I point to the 2nd to last locker up.

"Wow I wonder who put it up there" He mumbles, limping around the room.

"I'll get it" I voluntarily say, going to get the chair sitting by the door. I place the chair in front of the lockers and get on. I reach for the bag and toss it towards MinKi who catches it. I jump off the chair and grab the chair, dragging it back to where it belonged.

"Okay I've got it!" I turn around and see MinKi walking towards me, holding two medium sized boxes, one red the other white. We leave the room and head for the kitchen where everyone is, including my mother.

 "Rennie!” Mom shrieks in joy as she sees MinKi. I walk to my mom and give her a hug and a kiss before sitting next to her. I watch as MinKi opens the boxes, revealing decorated treats, sitting in their own little holder.

“Oh my, these look lovely”

“Yeah they do!” Su Bin sighs, her eyes going big.

“You guys should taste it. They’re pretty good!” MinKi urges, letting out a smile. I reach out and grab the red bean bun.

“Hmmm” I munch on it, falling in love with the flavors.

“Hey who made these?” I ask in between chewing.

“My mom made them”

“These taste exactly like how my friend used to make them” Mom says in between bites.

“Oh your friend used to make these?” I ask, popping the last piece in my mouth.

“Yeah my friend Cho Hee used to make these”

“Wow! My mom’s name is also Cho Hee” MinKi says, smiling.

“Really? How old is your mom?” I ask, wondering if this Cho Hee we’re talking about is the same Cho Hee mom’s always talking about.

“JongHyun, quit asking that question”

“No its okay, he’s just curious. My mom was born on May 29, 1968. And that makes her 45 years old this year”

“Woah! Your mom is only 9 days older than me!” My mom exclaims, clearly excited.

“What part of Korea is your mom from?” I ask, wanting to know more.

“She’s from Haean-dong, Dong District, Daegu”

“What?!? That’s where my mom’s from too!” I exclaim, overjoyed.

“That’s really interesting” Su Bin says. I look around as everyone stares at MinKi.

“Rennie, would you mind telling me what your mom’s real name is” Mom asks, happiness showing in her eyes.

“Choi Cho Hee”

I quickly turn and look at my mom’s reaction. She sits there in shock, as if remembering something.

“Mom, are you okay?” I hold her and shake her a bit.

“Choi….Choi….Cho Hee…was m-y-y…friend” He mumbles, in a state of shock. I look over at MinKi who sits there with a bewildered expression on his face.

“All of you leave except MinKi. Stay” Everyone gets up and begin to leave, wondering what’s happening. I wait for all of them to leave before glancing over at MinKi.

"JR, what's going on?" uneasiness seeping through MinKi's voice.

"Can you bring your mom over tomorrow?" I ask, mom's head.

"Ah...yeah. But why?"

"Well my mom has been searching for her friend whose name just happens to be your mom's name and they seem to be from the same town. Mom is dying and wants to reconnect with her friend and mend their fallout that they had in the past" I explain. MinKi looks over at my mom and forms an 'O' with his mouth.

"I'll bring her over tomorrow"

"Ah you should get back to work. I'll take my mom upstairs"

MinKi nods her head and walks out of the kitchen.

"Mom, everything's going to be alright" I assure her. She nods her head and looks ahead. I pick her up and put her on my back. I hum her favorite song "Last Song" by Gackt as I walk out of the kitchen and up the stairs. I kick open her door and walk towards the unmade bed. I gently lay her on the bed and tuck her feet under the blanket before wrapping her up in the blanket. I lightly kiss her on her forehead before leaving the room.

I can’t wait for tomorrow to come.