Chapter 10

The story of beauty

JR

What just happened?

MinKi just came up to BaekHo, all smiles and everything. But he got rejected by him. He slowly walks back to his spot with his head down. I quickly glance at him to see him wiping something away from his eyes. I’m guessing he’s crying.

“BaekHo, since when do you hang out with it?” I ask, concerned for my friend.

“She helped me with my wounds. That’s all” He says, pointing to his lips and cheek. Did he just call him ‘she’?

“Don’t hang out with him. He’s going to turn you into one of them” I warn him. The teacher comes in a moment later. He tells us that we’ll be playing badminton and there will be a group of 5 on each team. We are allowed to pick our partners. We all group up with MinKi left sitting alone on the bleachers. As we take our places behind the nets on the court, Mr. Kim calls me back. I quickly run back.

“Jong Hyun, MinKi’s going to join your group for today” He tells me. He dismisses us and MinKi follows me as we walk back to our spot.

“Teacher put him in our group” I say, not looking at him. He takes one of the badminton rackets off the floor and walks to the back.

“Yah! Are you guys going to play or not?” The boy on the other teams shouts. I give him one of my dirty glares, commanding him to be quiet. We grab the rackets and spread out. I try to be as far away as possible from MinKi. We begin to play. It turns out that the other team is actually pretty good and the only person who keeps us from losing is MinKi. So it’s not that bad having him on our team. We end up winning after playing several teams. Since we won, we get extra credit.

“Thank you, MinKi” I hear BaekHo say. I turn around to see him bow to MinKi. So what? He let us win, big deal. I walk away, disgusted by what I’ve seen. I quickly change and leave school. On my drive back home, I see MinKi walking towards the bus station with some blonde lady who I’ve seen around school.