Chapter 11

The story of beauty

BaekHo

I feel like crap after making that comment to MinKi. After we play the game, I thanked her for helping us win but she just turned away. JR leaves early. I rush to the locker room and quickly change. By the time I get out, MinKi is already gone. I walk up and down the school building, searching for her. I decide to give up and go home. I can always try and apologize tomorrow. As I am walking down the street, near the bus station I spot a blonde headed lady walking with a blonde headed student in my school’s school uniform.

I quickly jog ahead and turn back to see MinKi walking with Ms.Shim.

“Hey, BaekHo. What happened to your face?” Ms. Shim says, causing me to stop. I wait for them to catch up before walking again.

“It’s just a scratch” I greet, looking at them both.

“Sure it is” She says, slowly nodding her head. She doesn’t believe me.

MinKi frowns and begins walking ahead. Ms. Shim senses something wrong and quickly walks ahead. I pull back MinKi and force her to stop.

“What do you want?” She asks, her face scrunched up.

“I need to talk to you” I say. She tries to walk away but I yank her back to her spot.

“I don’t need to hear anything that you have to say”

“Well you have to whether you like it or not” I say, gripping her wrist. I look up to see the bus coming.

“Ms.Shim you can go without her. I’ll make sure she gets home safely” I shout over the noise of the bus. She nods her head and boards the bus. We both stand there and watch as the bus pulls away.

“You’re an idiot. How the heck am I going to get home?”

“There’s going to be another one in 30 minutes so no need to worry” I say, walking in the opposite direction. I hear footsteps behind me but I pretend like I don’t hear them. I let out a smile knowing that she’s following me.

“Where are we going?” She asks, walking beside me.

“You’ll see” I say, walking. We walk towards the playground near my house.

“This playground has an exercise playground and a glider swing. That’s awesome” she exclaims, looking around. I also look around and realize that there are no children out today. Wonder where they are? I quickly go and sit on the swing. I call her over. She hesitates for a bit before sitting at the opposite side of the swing.

“I want to apologize for the way I treated you today. You didn’t deserve that” I say, looking down.

“Why did you do that?”

“Well……ah……. I did it because I don’t want to put you in a situation where you’ll get picked on by JR” I answer looking up.

“I’ve been living through that for almost 11 years now, in case you don’t know” She mumbles under her breathe.

“I know and I’m sorry for that. I hope that we can be friends”

“Yeah I accept your apologize and I also hope that we can be friends” She says, smiling. My phone starts vibrating. I slip my hand through my pocket and pull out my phone. I look at the caller i.d and it’s SaeRyun.

“Hello” I greet through the mouth piece.

“Where are you?” He asks.

“I’m hanging out with one of my friends” I answer, looking over at MinKi. She sits there, smoothing out her bangs. She catches me watching her and smiles. I smile back and turn away.

“Are you with someone new?” He asks.

“What do you mean?” I ask

“It’s really quiet in the background.”

“I’m with MinKi” I answer, lowering my voice.

“Oh okay, why don’t you invite her for dinner?” he asks.

“Okay I’ll try to” I answer, hanging up the phone.

I look up at Minki and find her staring at me.

“Your brother wants me to come over for dinner?”

“It’s okay; you don’t have to come if you don’t want to”

“No it’s okay. I’ll come. I just need to call my mother and tell her” She says, grabbing her backpack. She takes out her phone and dials a number. She walks away talking on the phone while I sit there and wait. After a moment has passed she comes back with a smile on her face.

“She said that I can come over for dinner”

“Great, then let’s go” I get up and start walking towards the direction of my house.

“Wait….Are we going to take the bus?”

“Nope, I live around this area” I answer. She falls in beside me and we both begin walking.

“If you live so close to the school, then why do you take the bus?”

“I like to see the other parts of Seoul” I answer, looking up at the darkening sky. We walk in silence until I see my house coming into view.

“Is that your house?” She asks, pointing at the house.

“Yeah that’s where I live” I go up to the house and open the Victorian style wooden door.

“SaeRyun, I’m home” I shout through the house.

“I’m in the kitchen” He answers. We take off our shoes and I lead the way towards the kitchen. When we get there, I see SaeRyun standing by the fridge.

“Hey Hyung, I brought a friend home with me” I say, looking at MinKi. SaeRyun looks up and smiles.

He puts the container he’s holding down and comes forward. There’s a big smile on his face.

“MinKi, meet my brother SaeRyun. SaeRyun, this is MinKi” I say. They shake each other’s hands, introducing each other.

“Hyung, what are we having for dinner?” I ask, opening the pot on the stove. It smelled really good.

“We’re going to have Hokkien Mee” He answers, going back to the pot on the stove.

“Cool. Never heard of it before but whatever it’s still food”

“I got the recipe in a Chinese cookbook that I found at the library” SaeRyun says, tasting the mixture.

“Ummm…. can I use the restroom?” MinKi asked, putting her backpack on the counter.

“Go down the hall over there. Walk down then turn left. You’ll see the door on your right. That’s the restroom” I say.

“Okay” She says, walking off.

After she walks away, SaeRyun looks at me, giving me the evil eye.

"Who did you get in a fight with this time?" He askes.

"With B.A.P" I answer, not looking at him.

"Who the hell are B.A.P" He asks. As I'm about to answer, he cuts me off.

"You know what, forget it. Go put something on your wound" He says, turninf away. I walk towards the bathroom and pull out an ointment. I slowly dab some of it onto my lips, trying not to press too hard. I wash my hands after I'm done and walk towards the kitchen.