Chapter 20

The story of beauty

 

Aron

 I walk to class the next day. This is the 2nd day that BaekHo is absent. I wonder what happened to him. I go through my day, feeling guilty. I knew what JR was going to do to him but I never stopped him or warned him. I decide to sit with Minhyun and JR during lunch instead of going straight home. I find Minhyun in the lunch room, sitting alone at a table. I go over and sit in one of the empty chairs.

“Hyung, aren’t you going home?” He asks, scooting his chair close to mine.

“Nope, what’s wrong with me coming over here and enjoying lunch with my dongsangs?”  I ask, stretching out my legs. I look around my surroundings, taking everything in. What immediately catches my eyes is MinKi sitting with a curly headed boy with a buck tooth. They’re looking over something and their eyes are opened wide.

I turn my attention back to Minhyun and ask “So what happened to BaekHo?”

“Things happened here and there. He ended up in the hospital but nothing too serious.  He has a broken wrist and 3 fractured ribs. He won’t be in school for a good 4 weeks” He says, getting up.

“Where’re you going?” I ask, looking up at him.

“I’m going to get lunch” He replies, walking away. I sit there thinking about what I’ve done. I betrayed one of my good friends and now he’s hurt. My mind fights back and forth whether I should go over to his house and apologize or not. I decide to go over there after school and personally apologize. I’m suddenly interrupted by laughter approaching me. I look up to see JR, Angie and her friends coming towards the table.

“Hey Aron” Angie greets me English.

“Hi Angie” I say, giving a small wave. Mi Young immediately takes the available sit next to me.

“Aron, how are you? I rarely see you now a days” She says, scooting close to me. I move a bit away, uncomfortable by the sudden movement from her. I know she likes me but she’s not my type. She’s mean and only nice to certain person, which means only her friends.

“I’ve been very good, thank you for asking” I say, getting up.

“Where are you going?” She asks, taking out a mirror.

“I’m going to get lunch” I say, walking away. I go and stand in line with a tray in my hand. I grab Kimchi, jasmine rice, Kalbi (Korean grilled short ribs) and tapioca pudding. I get to the end of the line and grab 3 cartons of banana milk. I walk to the cashier and hand her my money. As I’m making my way towards the table, I feel someone grab my elbow. I turn around to Mi Young now walking beside me with a bag in hand.

“Oppa, you like banana milk?” she asks, batting her eyes. I don’t understand why girls always have to do that?

“Yeah it’s better than regular milk” I answer, placing my lunch on the table. I take my sit and start eating. I look back at MinKi to find her sharing a bowl of noodles with the curly headed boy.

 I feel someone tag my elbow. I look back to find Mi Young pulling at my elbow.

“Oppa, can I have one of your banana milk?” She asks. Before I even have a chance to answer, she takes one and opens it. I wonder what her problem is. Does she think I like her? Minhyun comes a few moments later, holding his tray. We ended up getting the same thing.

“Hyung, were you following me?” He asks. I’m caught off guard by his question.

“Excuse me?” I ask, in a state of confusion.

“You got the exact same thing as me!” He whines, setting his tray next to mine. I start laughing at his childish behavior.

“Yeah Hyung followed you and got the same exact thing as you. You know why I did that?” I ask him, putting my chopsticks down.

“Why?” He asks. His chopsticks full of Kimchi halfway to his mouth.

“Because hyung loves you and wants to be exactly like his dongsangs” I say, starting to laugh again.

“Hyung, if you wanted to copy the ‘Great Minhyun’, you could have asked and I would gladly allow you” He says before eating his Kimchi. I sit there eating my lunch, trying to stuff my mouth so that I won’t have to answer Mi Young’s questions. I look up to find Angie sitting on JR’s lap, cuddling with him in the middle of lunch! We all look up when we hear BaekHo’s name.

It’s MinKi and curly headed boy talking. “I’m getting lessons from BaekHo’s niece. She’s so cute” I hear MinKi say. She walks by without a care in the world.

“Ewwwww, the freak actually has friends” Mi Young says making a gagging sound. She and Angie snicker a bit under their breathe. I look up disgusted by what they’re doing. I get up with my tray and walk away. I go back to the table to retrieve my backpack.

“Hyung, where’re you going?” JR asks, finally looking up.

“School’s over for me” I answer, taking my backpack.

“Hyung, call me” Minhyun says, winking. I go in a fit of laughter because of his silliness.

“Bye” I say, walking away. I wave to them as I exit the lunch room. I get out of school and approach my car. I put my bag in the front seat and start the car, heading for BaekHo’s house. I arrive there in 5 minutes square time and get out. I sit in the car, deciding if I’m making the biggest mistake by coming here. My final decision is to get out of the car and go talk to him, even if it means I may lose a good friend in the process. I get out and make my way towards the front door. I knock and stand there, waiting. SaeRyun comes out, dressed in baggie sweatpants and a white t-shirt.

“Hey Aron” He greets me. I bow and greet back.

“If you’re looking for BaekHo, he’s upstairs” he says, leaving the door opened. This is my first time seeing SaeRyun dressed so comfortably.  I take off my shoes, not bothering to put on house slippers since I’m wearing socks. I make my way upstairs, towards BaekHo’s room. His bedroom door is closed. I knock before going in. I find BaekHo lying on his bed shirtless with the T.V .

“Hey BaekHo” I greet him, standing there, waiting for an answer.

“Hyung” He says, turning his attention to me. I decide its okay for me to go in. I stand at the foot of the bed.

“Hyung, sit” he says, patting at a spot on his bed. I sit trying not to look at him but I can’t help but take a glance at him. He looks really bad with a black eye, bruised cheek, and bandages wrapping his body. He turns off the TV.

“What show were you watching?” I ask, curious.

“I was watching Strong Heart YG Family special” he answers.

“So hyung, how have you been?”

“I’ve been very good” I answer, looking at my fingers.

“BaekHo, I want to apologize” I say, finally gathering the courage to look at him.

“For what?” He asks, looking confused.

“I knew what JR was going to do to you but I never stopped him. I should have known better since I’m the oldest” I manage to say, avoiding eye contact.

“Hyung, it’s okay. It’s all in the past” He says. I look up to see him smile.

“So you and MinKi hang out now?” I ask, wanting to know if the rumors are true.

“Yeah, she’s really a good person” He says. We discuss things like school work. I look at the time. It’s 1:38pm.

“BaekHo I have to go. I’m feeling very tried” I say, getting up.

“Okay, it was nice of you to drop by hyung. Call me sometime” He says, waving.

I say goodbye to SaeRyun and leaving.