Chapter 5

The story of beauty

 

Aron

It was in between 1st period and 2nd period when I heard the news from BaekHo. Minki was still attending the school even after all the years of getting picked on. That guy sure had a lot of will power. If that were me, I would never had showed my face at all. I had only heard and seen Minki about 2 years ago when I moved to Korea from America during my sophomore year. I met Nu’est leader, JR because he lived in my new neighborhood and wanted me to join his crew. JR didn’t seem like the type to bully anyone so I was very surprised to hear that he and his friends had corned a boy and pounded him until he was left with a broken arm. I asked why they had done that and BaekHo told me that JR was a homophobic and hated gay people. I mean I didn’t have a problem with gay people, in fact I had a couple of very close friends back in the states that were into guys. But when I finally got to see Minki, it all finally clicked. Minki was a transgender. I wondered why after 2 years, JR still picked on Minki. I mean Minki wasn’t causing any problems for him and he was just living his life, so I wondered why JR hated him so much. Some people thought I was being bad for not stepping in when Minki was being picked on since I was the oldest. But I didn’t step in because I didn’t really know the story behind it and it wasn't my fight so why bother stepping in. I ignored it and kept moving on to my next class.

1 more class until I’m allowed to go home.