Chapter 23

The story of beauty

 

BaekHo

It’s 2:32pm and there’s nothing to do except for watch TV or surf the web. Yuki isn’t home and SaeRyun is out, buying groceries. I’ve got to do something to pass make the time pass. I turn on the TV but there no good shows on. I turn it off and decide to take a nap until MinKi and Duck-Won come. I slide my head onto the pillow and angle my body slightly so that I’m lying on my side. As I’m getting ready to fall asleep, I hear my phone ringing. I slowly turn to lie on my back and reach for my phone. It’s Aron.

“Hello” I greet him.

“Hey can I come over? I’ve got something really important to tell you” He says, breathing heavily.

“Yeah” I say, hanging up. I look up at the ceiling, looking at the patterns. If I squint my eyes and tilt it to the left, I can make out a bunny. I sit there, playing thumb war. I look at the time and only 5 minutes have passed. Aron should be here by now. I hear the front door open and close. I think its Aron. I slightly sit up and crane out my neck. Moments pass before I see Aron standing at my door.

“You people are crazy. How can you live the door unlocked?” He asks coming towards me.

“And hello to you, hyung” I say.

“How have you been, BaekHo?” He asks, stretching out his legs and putting his hands behind his head.

“I’m getting better. Thanks for asking. So what’s so important that you couldn’t tell me over the phone?” I ask.

“Ahhh…….there’s something wrong with JR” He says, scratching the back of his head. Even though I and JR are no longer friends, I still care for him.

“What’s wrong with JR? Is he okay?” I ask, wanting to know.

“His mom’s in her final stage of cancer” Aron says, looking at me. JR’s mom is like a second mother to all of us. And his mother is the only wall that keeps his father and himself form going to war with each other.

“Oh” I say, looking at my fingers. It’s pathetic but that’s the only thing I’m able to say.

“I want all of us to be there for JR, including you. So I’m begging you to please forget about the past and come to his side” He says, about to get on his knees.

“Hyung, don’t do that. I’m always here for JR. He’s my friend”

“Ahhhh….okay” he says, getting back up.

“Sorry I can’t hang out with you today” He says.

“It’s okay. I appreciate you visiting me” I say, as I watch him walk away.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Minhyun

 

JR’s mother is a goner.

JR walks around all day like a zombie. Angie tries to talk to him but I interrupt and tell her that he’s not feeling well today. We go through the day with him staring off into space, his eye soulless. He is an empty body just walking around. He doesn’t eat lunch and doesn’t really participate in the sports we do in gym.

We’re now in the car and it’s silent. I turn on the radio but he turns it off.

“JR, you want to go to Baskin Robin’s today. I feel like eating mint chocolate chip ice cream” I say, trying to lighten up the mood.

“No you can go this time without me. I need to go home” he says, parking in front of my house. I unbuckle my seatbelt and sit there, waiting for him to say something but he just sits there, looking off at the road.

“JR, if you need anything, call me okay” I say, opening the door. I turn to see him nodding his head. I get out of the car and watch him drive off. I make my way inside. I haven’t even gone all the way inside before I see my mother rushing towards me.

“Minhyun, why didn’t you invite JR in? Why do you look so sad?” She asks, cupping my face.

“Mom, I would really like it if you just leave me alone. I’ll tell you later” I say, pulling away. I go to my room and lie face down on my bed. I stay there until I hear my name being called. I slowly get up and open the door.

“Minhyun, come down here” I hear my father call out. I leave my room and slowly walk down the stairs. I go to the living room to find my mother and father sitting on the sofa.

“Minhyun sit” My mother softly says, pointing to the armchair opposite them. I slowly go and sit down, waiting to be interrogated.

“Minhyun what’s wrong?” My father asks, crossing his legs and adjusting his glasses. I don’t know if I should be telling my parents since they’re very good friends of the Kims or the fact that my father’s business partner is JongHyun’s father. I decide it would be best just to tell them.

“JongHyun’s mother is in her final stage of cancer” I say, slowly with my head down.

“Oh my……” My mother says, covering . I see tears form in her eyes.

“Dad, where’s Mr. Kim?” I ask.

“That cheater is somewhere probably wasting his money on his stupid assistant” My father says, his voice full of disgust. I’m taken aback by my father’s new revelation.

“What a sick man. His wife is dying and all he’s doing to help her is going around sleeping with women 20 years his junior!” My mother spits out. This is the first time that I’m hearing this. I’m shocked that JR hasn’t made any comments or attempts to tell us or even me. I sit there, listening to my parents blab on about how bad JR’s father is. I pull out my phone and look at the time. It’s 4:43pm.

“Mom, Dad. I’m really sorry to interrupt your conversation but I’m going to go upstairs and rest. Call me when dinner’s ready”

I get up and walk up to my room.