Chapter 30

The story of beauty

Duck-Won

“So what you’re telling me is that you dressing like a girl was just an experiment to you?” I sit down with her with my tray. It’s during lunch and our lunch table has become the table where people pass by and look at MinKi.

“Yeah it was” She says, taking a sip of her bean paste soup. I put my spoon down and stare at her. It takes her a while before noticing me.

“What…..is there something on my face?” she touches her face and looks at me.

“No, I’m just wondering how a lair like you can keep such a straight face” I say, picking up my spoon again. I sit there, not bothering to talk to her until she’s admitted the truth. After a while, she opens up and speaks.

“Some students and parents feel uncomfortable with me…so….my mother said that I should dress like a boy until the matter settles down” she drops her spoon and gets up. I follow closely behind, trying to protect her from all the stares and glares coming from students. We walk back to our table and sit back down.

“So are you going to go over to BaekHo’s house? He’s gotten really worried”

“No, I think I’m just going to go home and rest. I don’t really feel like going over his house today. Maybe tomorrow” She crosses her legs and cups her face.

“Hey do you have your mp3 player?” She asks, turning to face me. I nod my head and take out my mp3 player. I hand it to her. She puts the ear buds into her ears and turns on a song. She puts her head on her folded arms and closes her eyes. I take out my homework to try and do it but I’m unable to because of some people talking behind me. I turn around to find JR and some people sitting at the table behind me.

A pretty faced black haired boy who I always see hanging out with JR speaks up. “JR, you should really go and apologize to MinKi”

“Ah why should my JR go and apologize to a freak like him?” This girl sitting next to JR asks. Her Korean sounds a bit off but whatever. From the way she is talking, I’m guessing they’re dating.

“Because it’s the right thing to do and if someone hurt me like that and didn’t apologize sooner, I’ll never forgive them” The pretty boy says.

“Minhyun, stay out of JR’s business” The girl says, flipping her hair. JR looks up and he catches me watching them. I quickly turn around and pretend to be doing homework.  I hunch over, looking at my calculus homework. I get some work done. Lunch is finally over and MinKi hands my mp3 player back to me and walks towards her next class, looking lost and empty.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JR

Shock of my life

MinKi is finally becoming normal. As in dressing like his right . As in not acting all weird and being all girly. And I’m back with Angie even though I know the relationship is going to dissolve.  

I get another surprise when gym comes around. For once I’m actually early for gym and I’m so glad I’m early because I would have missed what is about to happen.

I go inside the boys’ locker room as usual. I go to my locker and open it, I grab my clothes, about to change but I’m interrupted by a gasp coming from one of the guys. I look up to see MinKi standing there in his uniform, holding his girly bag and bunched up clothes.

“Yah!!! Let’s get back to changing, guys” Minhyun roars, startling a few of the guys. They quickly turn around, back to their business. I take off my pants and put on my school gym shorts. As I’m taking off my shirt, I hear rattling sounds coming from a few feet away from me.  I take off my shirt and look to my right. It’s MinKi, struggling with the combo on his locker. Minhyun walks over to MinKi and pushes him aside. He grabs the piece of paper from MinKi and tries to open it. He comes out successful.

“Thank you” MinKi mumbles while bowing. Minhyun waves his hands and goes back to his locker. I get out of the locker room as soon as I’m done, not wanting to watch my dear friend Minhyun help someone like MinKi. As I’m walking towards the gym, I’m suddenly ambushed from behind by a person with a soft chest. I turn around to find Angie, standing there with a smile on her face.

“JongHyunnie, I missed you” she comes forward and slings her lean soft arms around my neck. She nestles her face in my neck and slowly breathes in, causing my skin to tingle.

I rest my arms around her waist and pull her forward until our chests are touching. I lean in and whisper. “Don’t ever call me JongHyunnie”

“Why, JongHyunnie?” She asks, giggling.

“That name is already used by someone very close and dear to me” I say, pulling away.

“JR, quit with that crap. We all know you don’t actually talk like that” She moves beside me and intertwines her right arm with my left arm. We walk like that towards the gym. We sit at our usual spot, the 4th row of the bleachers. Angie leans into me and rests her head on my chest. She then wraps her arms around my waist. We sit like that, waiting for the teacher. Minhyun comes and sits behind us, obviously wanting to be alone. People around us start talking about MinKi. Either MinKi this or MinKi that. MinKi walks in last, everyone is quiet.  He rubs his arms together as he takes a seat on the 1st row, far away from everybody. He looks dead but I don’t think he cared. His eyes are puffy and red from apparently crying too much. And his nose bloody red from blowing too much and too hard on tissues. While watching him, I notice a single tear roll down his cheek. He quickly wipes it away and looks around. I’m so fixed on looking at him that, I don’t hear Angie calling out to me.

“JR…..” She says, turning my face to look at her.

“Huh?” I ask, confused.

“Do you want to hang out today, after school?” She asks, smiling.

“Ah no, not today” I say, quickly sneaking a peek at MinKi. He sits there, staring at the ground with a saddened expression. This is the worst feeling ever. Guilt is finally settling over me. My mother once said ‘JongHyun, if you want to be a real man, don’t ever let a woman cry. Don’t even let a single tear drop fall’. I’ve failed and broken her promise.  I’m interrupted by the teacher’s presence and Angie tagging at my sleeve. We end up playing crazy soccer (Soccer game where you’re on neither side). MinKi gets an excuse pass and sits on the bleachers while we play. The game ends with neither side winning. We go back to the lockers and change. MinKi changes in the bathroom. Most of the guys quickly leave as soon as he’s near them. I leave school and go straight home, forgetting to get my shirt from MinKi.

I am starting to regret what I’ve done.