Chapter 22

The story of beauty

JR

Angie told me to meet her by the locker room as soon as class was over. I waited outside but she never came out. I decided to go check the girls’ locker room to see if she’s there. I look around my surroundings, coast clear. I fast walk to the locker room and open the door. I look around again before slipping inside. I’m not able to go father because I’m greeted by MinKi, standing there in just tennis shoes and a white towel wrapped around his body.

I stand there, looking at him while smirking. This is so interesting. He falls to the ground, sobbing.

“Have you seen Angie?” I ask, looking at my phone. He slowly shakes his head. No message or calls from her.

“I think you need to go get dressed” I say a bit of concerned. Wonder who did this to him?

“Som- My clothes got stolen” He says, his voice breaking. He holds his chest as he cries. I decide it’ll be better to get him some clothes, even though I don’t really like him. I get out of the locker room and go to the boys’ locker room. I grab my favorite shirt and some sweatpants. These are emergency clothes in case anything happens. I walk back to the girls’ locker room to find MinKi still on the floor, crying.

“Here wear this” I say, throwing them to him. He grabs them and heads for the restroom. I lean against the wall and wait for him to come out. He comes out after a few minutes.  Thank goodness I have long hair because it’s easier for me to look at him without getting caught. He actually doesn’t look bad in them.

“Ahh….. Thanks for the clothes” He says, bowing.

“You can keep the sweatpants but I want my shirt back” I say, walking away.

“Wait…. Who are these guys?” He asks. I stop and turn around to find him pointing at the shirt.

 “They’re a dance crew in America” I say, walking away. I go back to the locker room and get my backpack. I’m kind of pissed off. Angie told me to meet her only to get ditched. I get out my car key and exit the school, heading for the parking lot. I get in the car and start it but don’t move. Someone’s caught my attention. I look out the window to see MinKi walking with a guy with curly hair. He looks familiar. I think his name is Duck-Won or something along those lines.  MinKi’s walking ahead, laughing and throwing his arms in the air.

“You really look good in that” I hear curly fries say. I nod my head in approval, chuckling a bit at MinKi’s silliness. I roll up the tinted windows and drive off, towards home. As I park the car, my phone starts ringing. I look at caller id and it’s Angie. I hang up the phone. I’m not in the mood to hear Angie’s explanation.  I get out of the car but stop as soon as I spot a familiar black KIA optima. It’s doctor Cho’s car. Dr.Cho’s mom’s doctor who makes occasional house visits when mom needs him. I get inside the house and put my backpack inside my bedroom before going on to see mom. I knock lightly on the door before opening it. I find Mom lying on the bed, pale and drenched in sweat. She has on an oxygen mask with a portable oxygen tank beside her. Sitting on the chair next to her is Dr. Cho. He’s an old man with grayish-black hair and a dimple on his left cheek. He turns his attention towards me.

“JongHyun” He says, getting up. I look down trying to hold back the tears. Dr.Cho comes over and embraces me in a hug.

“One of the maids called me saying that your mother was screaming and crying, holding her stomach” He says, pulling away.

“JongHyun, I need to talk to you” He says, walking away. He opens the door and we both step into the hallway. I already know what’s coming.

“JongHyun, I want to take your mother off chemo. It’s not helping her and she’s in her final stage” He says, looking at me. I feel the tears stream down my face, heartbroken by the news. I drop to the ground, clutching my head. The pain…. My head feels like it’s about to explode. He pulls me in a hug, telling me comforting words that are suppose to help me but they don’t. They only make matters worse. I stop until I’m no longer able to cry.

“Okay, do what you think is best for her, but how long does she have left?” I ask, wiping my eyes. I stand up, with my head hung low.

“She only has 2 months to live” He says, straightening his coat. I open the door to the room and stand in the doorway, observing. She’s still asleep.

“The pain will get worse as the end nears. Be prepared” He says, patting my right shoulder. He goes into the room and gets his bag.

“Call me if there are any problems” He says, before walking away. My world has just shattered. I slowly walk towards my mom, my body feeling heavy with empty eyes. I take off my shoes and slip inside the blanket next to her. I lay my head on her shoulder and close my eyes.

“Mom……mom…..don’t leave me” I whisper, grabbing a hold of her warm hand. I know my prayer won’t help but I say them anyways.