Chapter 40

The story of beauty

Ren

 

I hold onto Chunji’s warm hand as we walk towards the bus station.

“Thank you” I whisper, looking down at the ground.

“No problem. So have you thought about the question I asked you earlier?” He asks, intertwining his fingers with mine. I look at my hand carrying Chunji’s and let out a little smile.

“Let me think about it. I’ll give you my answer tomorrow” I look up ahead at the bus, stopping in front of the station.

“Hey we’re going to be late” Chunji says, pulling my hand as we begin to run towards the parked bus. As we’re getting closer, I suddenly lose my grip on Chunji and slip. My stomach churns over as my left knee and palms come in contact with the pavement. My hands graze along the floor and skin tears and pain shoots through my palms in a horrible sting, my head bumping my arm shortly afterwards. I lay on the ground a little dizzy and sick. I try getting up but I’m unable to because of the pain coming from my knee.

“MinKi! Are you okay” I hear Chunji’s shaky voice coming towards me. I look up and see him running towards me as fast as he can.

“I told the bus driver to wait” He stops in front of me and looks at me, panic stricken.

“Can you help me up? I think I sprained my left knee” I say as I grab onto his hand. He puts his hand around my back and under my knees and carries me bridal style. I wrap my arms around his neck and look at him as he walks towards the waiting bus. His skin is so clear and pure with high cheek bones and almost ample lips. I bring up my hand, wanting to touch his face but stop realizing what I’m doing.

“I’m so sorry, MinKi. I shouldn’t have been running that fast” He apologizes as we get closer to the bus.

“It’s okay; it was my fault for letting go of your hand”

We get on the bus and Chunji lays my knee on his leg as he inspects my scrapes.

“Oh my goodness, I didn’t mean for this to happen to you. I am really sorry” He says again running his finger over my bloody knee.

“Stop it’s not your fault, okay?” I try reassuring him. I slowly lean my head onto his shoulder, feeling somewhat awkward and out of place but that feeling later passes as I get comfortable. We sit there like that until we come to our stop. Chunji puts me on his back and walks off the bus towards my apartment complex. I think about the idea of having Chunji as my boyfriend and it’s not so bad when I look at it.

“Chunji” I tighten my hand around his neck, resting my head on his back.

“Yeah”

“I want us…. I want you to be my boyfriend” I say as I close my eyes feeling abashed.

“Really? Yeah I’ll be your boyfriend” He says his voice full of eagerness.

“Okay then from now on we’re boyfriend girlfriend” I say, as we near my building.

“People just can’t be boyfriend girlfriend just like that. They have to go on dates and do couple things”

“Couple things?”

“Yeah Couple things like going to the karaoke bar together or going to watch cherry blossoms blooming. And wearing couple rings on our 100 day anniversary” He answers, looking up at the sky.

“Oh okay, I never knew that!” I say getting excited at the things couples get to do.

“Yep it’s pretty nice once you’re with the person you love” his voice reverie. I nod and grin to myself as he enters my apartment building.

“Go to the left, three doors down. It’s going to be on your right” I tell him as he walks down the long hall. He stops in front of the apartment door and stands there, waiting. I reach out and ring the bell. I hear footsteps walking rapidly towards the door. The person who opens it is Linh who stands there with a surprised look.

“Oh hello, come in” She opens the door wider as Chunji walks by towards our living room, where I find my mom parked on the floor with her injured leg sticking out.

“Re-“she stops mid way and looks at Chunji and I.

“Oh hello” She waves, an inquisitive expression playing out on her face. I look behind me to find Linh standing there with a smile on her face. She gives me a thumps up before going and sitting next to my mom.

“Hello Ms. Choi, I’m Chunji” He tries bowing my soon realizes that I’m at his back.

“Nice to meet you, Chunji. This is Linh” Chunji bows at Linh.

“Ren what happened to you?” My mother asks a look of concern and uneasiness on her face.

“Oh it’s my fault. We were running to catch the bus and I let go of her hand and she tripped” Chunji nimble before I can speak.

“Ah you must be tired. Set her on the couch over there” Linh instructs pointing to the small couch by the window. Chunji walks towards it and sets me down, quickly turning around and winking at me. He gets up and walks in front of my mom, getting on his knees. I sit there, wondering just what he’s about to do.

“Mrs.Choi, May I ask your permission to date your daughter!” he bows deeply. I sit there with my mouth slightly opened amazed at his confidents. I look to my mom, who sits there with a puzzled look while Linh grins brightly notching my mom to speak.

“If you really like her that much then sure” my mom tries playing it cool but I know that truly on the inside, she’s dancing around with joy. I turn away, feeling my cheeks getting warm.

“Thank you. Thank you so much, Ms. Choi. You’ve made me the happiest man alive!!!” He proclaims. I let out a giggle, feeling embarrassed at his action. I look over again to see him  a grin on his face. He takes out his cell phone and looks at it.

“I’m so sorry ladies but I have to go home now. My mom’s probably having a fit right now wondering where I am. I’ll be back tomorrow” He lets out a chuckle, getting up.

“Oh it was nice meeting you, Chunji” My mom and Linh say in unison. He bows again before coming towards me.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, beautiful” He says before pecking me on my lips. He gives me a quick hug before getting up. Linh gets up and opens the door for him. As soon as the door clicks close, Linh runs towards me all excited.

“Ren finally has a boyfriend. A really good looking boyfriend!!!!!” She grabs my hand and playfully tickles me. I look at my mom and she sits there smiling.

“I’m really happy for you, Ren” My mom says. I nod my head and bring my hand to my lips, astonished at what he’s done. I close my eyes and try to relive the moment again. I open my eyes and can still feel his lips lingering on mine. I laugh to myself not believe my luck. I have a boyfriend. A real boyfriend, not just an imaginary one but a real person that I can see and touch. For a while the pain in my hands and knee are no longer there as I’m overpowered with joy and happiness.

I’m finally becoming a normal person.