Chapter 25

The story of beauty

 

Duck-Won

MinKi is right. I look good with blonde hair and pierces.

When I got home, my mother and grandmother were a little disappointed with me for using all of my money but after a few hours, they came around and said that it was good that I was changing. I do some cardio to strengthen my body and hope to improve my look. I go to sleep with a smile on my face even though my ears hurt.

I wake up early and get ready for school. While on the bus, I receive compliments from Unnis and some Hyungs.  I go to school with girls turning their heads around and checking me out. When I get to the entrance, MinKi’s already standing there, waiting.

“Hey MinKi” I call out, getting closer.

“Oh hey, Duck-Won” she greets me, pushing herself off the wall of the school building.   We begin walking inside the school, towards class.

“Who’s that new guy?” I hear one of the guys ask. MinKi looks at me, smiling.

“They think you’re a new student” She says, giggling.

I chuckle at the stupidity of some of the students. We go to class with 20 minutes to spare.

“So what do you want to do?” I ask, getting up and walking towards MinKi’s desk.

“Let’s eat some mooncakes and buns” she says, opening her backpack. I grab a chair and drag it in front of her desk. She pulls out 4 medium sized boxes.  She puts 2 of the boxes on the desk next to her and opens them.

“Woah! These look too pretty to eat” I get up and look over the treaties.

“Where did you get them?” I ask grabbing the white and pink bun.

“My mother’s friend in the market went to china and brought these back” She says, grabbing one. I bite into it and taste the sweet filling. I pull back and look at it. The filling is maroon red.

“What’s in this?”

“Red bean paste. You’re eating the red bean paste bun”

“Then what about the others” I ask, picking up a green colored treat.

“Snow Skin Lotus Paste Mooncake (the white one), lotus paste bun and the one you’re holding is the green tea Red bean jelly mooncake” some kids start coming in, looking at the food layed out on top of the desks. A few of them look at me as they’re going to their seats. One girl calls out.

“MinKi, is that your twin brother?”

“Nope that’s Duck-Won” She answers, picking up the green tea mooncake. Some kids ask to have some and she gladly allows them to take some back to their desk. JR comes in early for once with Mr.Ki coming in late. I take 2 more mooncakes and quickly shuffle back to my seat. My seat mate, Eun Mi keeps on looking at me and smiling. Before, she wouldn’t even dare look at me.

“Students, settle down” He says, looking up from his paper work.

“MR. Ki….” I hear MinKi call out. Her hand is raised up high in the air.

“Yes”

“I brought some treats and I was wondering if it would be okay if I hand them out”

“Sure, if I get some”. MinKi goes around the classroom, handing out the buns and mooncakes. She gives Mr.Ki one of each. This is a first. Mr. Ki is actually being nice instead of uptight and mean. I look over to see MinKi offering JR a mooncake but he just looks at her in an angry way and turns away.

I wonder what his problem is. And why is face looks so tried

I and my partner Eun Mi decide to split the work in half. I’ll do research and she writes the paper. Then we’ll emerge our work into one. Class ends with a lot of girls staring at me and winking.

I go through the day, receiving compliments and invitations to go out on dates with girls but I politely decline and say that I’m very busy.

Lunch time comes and I just know that something very bad and serious is brewing up.

The storm is coming but when will it strike.

 

Definition:

Mooncake(月饼 )- Traditional Chinese pastry traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival. It comes in many flavories such as Green Tea, Lotus Paste and Jelly.

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry for the short boring chapter. I just thought that it would be a good idea to have Duck-Won's POV.

PREVIEW: MinKi's secret is revealed.