Chapter 16

The story of beauty

JR

I stand in the shower, trying to wash away the crime I just committed.

I was afraid.

My closet friend just got stolen from me. And I hurt him. I didn’t mean to hurt him but something dark and sinister came over me. I get out of the shower and get dressed. I look at the time. It’s only a quarter to 4pm. I walk down the stairs, towards the kitchen.

“Mr.JongHyun, Dinner is not ready yet” The head butler says, standing there.

“I know. I just need something to drink”

“Mom and I are going to be watching a movie today so don’t disturb us and don’t bring any food for us” I tell him.

I walk towards the steel fridge. I open it and take out 6 cans of chocolate milk soda and regular milk soda. I close it after getting what I need and move to the pantry. I take out two bags of sae-u ggangsae-u ggang (Shrimp Chips). I ignore the whispers and stares from the young maids and make my way upstairs, towards my parents’ room. Today is Wednesday and Wednesdays’ are movie nights for my mother and I.  I knock on the door before opening it. Lying in the bed is my mother with her head lying on a lot of pillows. I wasn’t certain whether she was asleep or if she was pretending. I set the items on the table nearby.

“Mom, are you awake?” I ask. Not certain, I slowly walk towards her and start tickling her.

“Hahahahaha……..Omo…Omo…..stttttooooppppp!!!!” My mother shrieks in delight as I continue tickling her. After a while I stop and stare at my mom wipe the tears away from her eyes. I lay my head on her chest.

“Mom, did you forget about our movie today?” I ask her. I feel her hand comb through my hair.

“No, the movie is already in the DVD player. I was just waiting for you to come with the snacks” She answers, placing a kiss on my forehead.

“You really need a haircut, JongHyunnie” She says. I enjoy the moment of her holding me.

“I’ll go get the snacks” I say, pushing myself off the bed. I take the chips and soda, turn off the lights and start the movie. Mother pushed the blankets off, making room for me.

“What movie is it?” I ask, opening the shrimp chips. I give her one of the chocolate milk sodas.

“It’s ‘Fly, Daddy, Fly’ with that really pretty actor, Lee Jun Ki” She replies, opening her can. She takes a long swing of the soda.

“Oh my goodness, I forgot about how delicious this thing tasted” She says, placing the can in between her legs. I take a sip of mine and relax as the movie begins with a man running. I pass the chips around and sip on my milk. She puts her head on my shoulder halfway through the movie. The movie finishes and I’m satisfied with the ending of the movie. I get and turn on the lights, turn off the DVD player and walk back to the bed.

“That movie was beautiful, don’t you think so?” Mom says, as she hands me the trash. I go to the bathroom and dispose of the trash before answering her.

“Yeah that movie was very good” I answer, sitting back on the bed. The antagonist of the movie reminds me of someone. And that somebody is me. I taunt my preys and live on their misery.

“Mom, are you hungry?” I ask.

“Yeah, kind of but not that hungry” She replies. I get up and walk out of the room. I go to the kitchen and prepare milk bread with cheese. I take the food back upstairs on a tray. I hand her the food and we sit in her bed eating our food. After we’re done, I take the dirty tray back to the kitchen and wash it. I go back to mom’s room to greet her good night.

“JongHyunnie, sleep with mom tonight” She says, pulling the blanks back. I look at the time. It’s only 6:30pm and my mom is feeling sleepy. I turn off my phone and get in bed. She lays her head on my chest and slowly slips away, into a far far away land. I listen to the steadiness of her breathing. My eyes become heavy with every minute that passes by. Before I  know it, I’ve slipped into a temporary coma known as sleep.