Chapter 32

The story of beauty

JR

14 days and 11 hours.

That is how long it’s been since I lost my temper and revealed MinKi’s secret. I really want to apologize but a big part of me says no. The rule of living: You get what you deserve. I’m starting to question that as I drive home from school.

School closes early today because of a volley ball game between our school teachers’ and some other school.

I put my windows down and put my left hand out, enjoying the cool breeze. I turn on the radio and bop my head along to the music. I arrive home a quarter pass 4pm. I park my car and make my way inside the house. I’m greeted by laughter coming from a room. I remove my shoes and walk to the kitchen first before going to look around.

“Welcome back, Mr. Kim” Mr. Wu bows. I feel so sorry for this old man.

“Hello Mr. Wu, how was your day today?” I ask, while looking through the fridge. I grab a bottle of aloe Vera juice (Aloe Vera juice tastes like white Grape juice) and open it. I sip while walking towards the counter.

“It is the same as always, sir” he says, chuckling.

“What’s so funny?” I ask, sitting on a one of the kitchen stools.

“Your mother has been laughing all day ever since we hired the new maid. It’s good to hear Madam laugh again”

I totally forgot about the new maid they hired. I look around to find the 3 other maids gagging at the sound of the new maid. Wonder why they’re behaving like that?

“Well I’ll be right back. Where’s mom?” I get up and leave my juice on the counter.

“She’s in the white room, sir” I walk away towards the white room. It’s the room that holds the piano. I’m stopped by my mother coming out, holding her IV on the stand. She’s literally on the verge of tears from evidently laughing so hard.

“Oh JongHyunnie, hi” She comes forward, wiping her eyes from tears coming out. She wraps me in her arms and squeezes me tightly. I gently pull away and stare at her. Is this my mother? 14 days ago, she was in her bed, vomiting and feeling all depressed, not willing to do anything. And now here she is, laughing and crying.

“We hired this new maid yesterday and the whole time she’s been here, I haven’t been able to breathe much. Did you know that there’s such thing as the Hallyu Wave (aka the Korean Wave, where Korean culture is being spread globally)? I never knew such thing” She says, giggling like a school girl.

“So who’s the newbie you hired?” I ask, curious. I need to thank whoever has brought the light back into my mother’s life. She stands in the doorway of the room and calls out the person’s name. “Rennie, come out here. I want you to meet my son”. Mom turns her attention back to me, her face full of excitement.

“She’s coming. JongHyun, you wouldn’t believe me if I said this, but I think I’ve finally found a person who’s much prettier than me!” She puts her hands to her chest and lets out a laugh. I look down, laughing for no reason.

“Rennie, I want you to meet JongHyun. JongHyun, this is Rennie” My mother says. I look up to find MinKi standing next to my mother with a fearful look on his face. I stand there, shocked.

“JongHyun, don’t be rude. Say hello to Rennie” My mother says, softly. I bow and excuse myself. I run up the stairs until I’m on top. I walk to my bedroom and lock myself in there.

This cannot be happening.

‘MinKi is not working here’ I repeat as I slide down and sit on the floor. He’s now going to know what happens when I’m not in school. He’s now also going to know my seemly perfect life isn’t that perfect.

I've got to prevent him from knowing.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry for the short chapter. I'll make sure to update some more.

Don't be shy and leave comments ;3

Any recommendations are always welcome.