Chapter 37

The story of beauty

***A week has passed. Ren is still working as a house maid for the Kims. JR and his comments have become ruthless and harsh as the days pass by. Ren’s mother is still recovering from the tragic accident that almost cost her life but she's now able to walk around with the help of a cane***

______________________________________♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫♀♫________________________________

Ren

I rush out of school and fast walk out of the gate so I won't be late in catching the 4pm bus.

“Aren’t you going to say hi?” A familiar voice asks. I stop walking and turn around. Leaning against the school gate with his head cocked slightly to the side is Chunji. He's wearing a sleeveless black hoodie, black sweatpants and beatup black tennis shoes.

“How did you find out where I go to school?” I ask, walking towards him.

“You’re not very smart, are you?” He asks, coming forward. I stand there, confused.

“I used to go to school here”

"You're really stupid. How the heck am I suppose to know that you went to this school?"

“Why are you in such a hurry?” he asks

“I’m going home to change for work” I answer, walking away. He walks beside me as we walk towards the bus station.

“Do you live around here?” I ask, getting on the bus. I walk to the back of the bus with Chunji following behind. I sit on the 2nd to last row. Chunji sits next to me while the bus begins to move again.

“No I don’t live around here”

“What type of job do you do?” He asks

“I’m a maid”’

“Oh okay, is it fun being a maid?”

“Sometimes because my boss is a very funny lady” I chuckle a little, looking around the bus. The bus is nearly empty with only 10 people on board, including Chunji and I.

“But other times it gets kind of annoying because my boss’s kid seems to dislike me”

“That ” He comments. I shrug my shoulders and look out the window. I sense Chunji lean closer until I can feel his hot breathe on my ear.

“I know your secret” he whispers, causing me to turn my attention towards him.

“What are you talking about?” I ask, laughing a little.

“You’re a cross dresser” he says in a matter-of-fact tone. I look at him, not knowing what to say.

“Hey I like you. And you don’t need to worry about anything because I’m panual” he says, letting out a smile. I look at him, my face twisted up in confusion.

“What is panual?” I ask, getting up when the bus stops. I get off the bus with Chunji behind me. We begin to walk towards the direction of my apartment complex.

“A panual is a person who doesn’t fit in the or gender categories. In saying that; I’m attracted to either gender ranging from men to transual people”

“Oh this is the first time I’m hearing about this word ‘panual’” I nod my head in understanding. I stop and look at him, wondering why he’s still following me.

“Why are you still following me?” I ask him.

“I don’t know. I just want to” he answers.

“Well I don’t like to be followed!” I warn, turning around.

“Well I’m not following you since I live in the next apartment building”

“Sure you do” I walk ahead of him and walk inside my apartment building. I walk to our apartment door and unlock it to find Mr. Yi sitting in the living room. I greet him and dash to my bedroom. I change into black leggings, a white t-shirt, a black vintage baseball cap and plain white high-tops. I grab my black shoulder bag and grab my cell phone. I go to mom’s room and kiss her goodbye. I say bye to Mr. Yi before walking out the door. As I’m walking out the complex, I hear the familiar voice behind me.

I turn around and glare at Chunji.

“What took you so long to change?” He asks, pushing himself off the wall of the building.

“Chunji, why don’t you go home? Or are you homeless?” I ask, turning around again. I feel a tag at my elbow while I walk towards the bus station.

“You know that I like you, that’s why I’m doing this” He says, his brown eyes pulling me into a trance. I pull away and quickly turn around, my cheeks turning pink. I slap my wrist and continue walking to the bus station, Chunji still behind me.

“Go out on a date with me” He says, as the bus stops in front of us. I get on the bus and walk to my usual spot. There are many people on the bus today, which means that Chunji has to sit by me. I sit down, while Chunji slides in next to me.

I take of my cap before speaking. “You just met me last week. You don’t know anything about me but yet you want to go out with me?”

“Yeah, I like you. And I guess it was love at first sight” He responds, his eyes off in the distance.

“You’re delusional, Chunji. How can I like you if I don’t know anything about you?”

“Well then let me begin introducing myself. My name is Lee Chanhee and I’m going to be 19 on October 5th. I live with my parents. My hobbies are reading and putting together puzzles. And I like imitating people. I’m in an underground group called Teen Top with my friends. And I’m the 2nd oldest in the group. Your turn”

I slap my forehead not believing what I just heard. I didn’t actually mean what I said.

“Oh yeah I forgot, I have an older brother”

I sit there for a second before responding. “I’m an only child. My actual name is Choi MinKi but people close to me call me Ren. I’ll be 17 on November 3rd.  I live with my mother. I have 2….well if you count Yuki, Mrs. Kim, Linh, Mr. Yi and SaeRyun then I have 7 friends. My hobbies are singing and composing music but I’m not very good at it….. Yep that should be about it”

I nod my head and get up slightly as the bus is stopping. I get off the bus onto the sidewalk and wait for Chunji since I know he’ll be following me anyways.

Immediately after he gets off the bus, his mouth starts running. “How does it feel like being an only child?”

“It’s normal but it gets kind of lonely not have someone around the days my mother works” I put my cap back on and begin to walk towards the street where JR lives. We turn the corner, walking on the streets of the rich people.

“Wow, these houses are big” He says, looking around.

“Wait until you see the house I work at” I say, with a smile on my face. As we approach JR’s house, Chunji mouth hangs opened. I am tempted to face plant him with the palm of my hand.

“Oh my goodness gracious, this house is HUGE!!!” He exclaims as we get closer. We walk to the back of the house as Chunji continues to talk. I stop as soon as we are there.

“Chunji, do me a favor and shut up! You’re beginning to annoy me” I snap. He stops talking and looks away, clearly trying to hide the hurt in his eyes. I don’t mean to hurt his feelings but he’s beginning to bother me.

“Chunji, I’m sorry” I whisper as I get close to him. He looks back at me with a sincere smile.

“It’s okay. So when are you getting off of work?”

“At 9pm, why?”

“I’ll be waiting by the gates when you’re done” he says, walking away. I stand there watching him as he disappears around the corner. I’m kind of happy that someone cares about me <3

I open the back door and go to the changing room to change. I report to Mr. Wu and get to work. I’m assigned in cleaning the downstairs study room.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I finally finished this chapter.

Any comments are welcome. And thank you to everyone who subscribed to my story :)

Any recommendations of future chapters are welcome. Criticism is welcome!