Chapter 5

99% Males 1% Females

            As Lu Han watched the group walk away, he asked Kikwang, “What is your male to female ratio here?”

            “99% males and 1 % females.”

            Lu Han stared at his classmate, dumbfounded.  “Why do the guys here have to resort themselves to something like that?!” he asked, pointing at the group.

            “Didn’t you notice that our class earlier didn’t have any females at all?” asked Kikwang, a bit surprised.

            “No, who cares about that?” replied Lu Han, seriously.  “I’m not here to screw around.”

            Kikwang laughed.  “Believe me, man.  You’ll want some female interaction soon.” he said.  “Just because you hang around Mia, that doesn’t mean she’ll want to date you.”  He turned to leave.  “See you ar-”

            “Wait!” said Lu Han.  “Just because you see Mia and I around that doesn’t mean that I’m trying to get into her pants, OK?  If you can’t already tell, I’m a foreign exchange student from China.  And, Mia’s family is my host family, OK?”

            “Are you trying to tell me that Mia is your host sister?” asked Kikwang, with bright eyes.

            “Wa-” started Lu Han, trying to stop the guy.

            “What is she like at home?  Oh~  How does she look like without makeup?!” asked Kikwang.  “Does she wear shorts around the house?  How about spaghetti straps?!”

            You just had to open your big mouth, didn’t you?, thought Lu Han.

 

*****************************************************

            I sighed heavily as I walked up to Lu Han.  He was waiting to get his food in the cafeteria.  When I approached him, he just stared at me like some stranger.  “Hey.” I said.

            He just continues to stare at him, not replying.  Before I could say something out of irritation, Lu Han replied, “People think that we’re together.” he said, softly.

            I glance at the guys that were standing beside Lu Han and they quickly looked away.  Everyone was eyeing us, mainly because I have been dubbed as Sister Mia because I refuse to date the guys at school.  That is only because I find them to be immature, maybe if acted their age then I probably will go out with them.

            “Sorry, but...” I said, as I eyed the ground.  “My friends want you to eat lunch with us.”

            Lu Han casually scanned the cafeteria as the line moved.  “Sure.” he nodded.

            I looked over my shoulder.  All the guys are staring at Lu Han like an intruder.  I already told my friends to wait until after lunch to meet him, but they insisted.  They, obviously, want to rub it in the other guys’ face that they have a new boy toy.

            “Hey,” I started as I grabbed Lu Han’s arm without thinking.  I could hear the loud talking become whispers.  I took a step back, now being cautious of the distance between us.  “Sorry.  Look, you don’t need to eat with us if you don’t want to.

            Lu Han looks down at me, with a small smile.  “It’s OK.  I don’t mind.” he nodded. 

            We, then, talked about each other’s day in Chinese since every student is required to know at least conversational English.  I tried my best, although it was hard for me.  It must be hard for Lu Han too, I thought.

            “Is it hard for you to talk or understand Korean in class?”I asked, slowly.  “Did your class went well this morning?

            Lu Han got some ramen from the lunch ladies and side dishes.  I could tell from their cheeky smiles that they like him.  They even gave him an extra scoop of ice cream.  I almost wanted to scoff.  Really?, I thought.  Those ajummas and young men these days…

            “It’s not as hard anymore because I’ve gotten used to how fast you guys talk.  And, with my classes…  Yeah, they went well.” he replied.  “But, you know how I still don’t really know how to write Korean…  Well, I wrote it wrong into the translator, but it’s OK.  I recorded the entire lecture on my phone already.”

            I let out a sigh.  “That’s good.” I said, as I led him towards our table.

            “Hey, are guys here really that desperate?” he asked.

            Before I could answer, my friends were calling us towards the table.  Eunsung and Minyu were smiling like little kids.  Since Heawoo goes to college in Busan, I only see her during the winter break and summer vacation.  So, these are my school friends.  Both of them were excited, in a bad way.  I glanced over at Lu Han and smiled.

            “I hope you’re not going to take back what you said earlier.” I said.

            “About?”

            “Joining us for lunch.” 

            Lu Han just scoffs.  “I can’t back out now.”

            He smirked and I could hear my friends swooning.  I turned to glance at the other girls and they were eyeing him like some hot commodity as well…  Some girls were bold enough to send him a wink.  I quickly glance up at him to see what his response was.  Amazingly, Lu Han was relatively calm but he was smiling now.  I suppose it could be registered as a cute smile, judging by the small screams he was receiving from my friends…  But, still…

            What has my parents gotten me into?

           

 

            I had finished cooking dinner when my parents came home with Lu Han.  I went to greet them at the door.  In a way, I was hoping to see a black eye on Lu Han’s face.  Unfortunately, nothing happened.  I assumed that he must had been accepted into the guys’ circle after what happened during lunch.

            I told him that he should watch his back because he wouldn’t know if he would be ostracized or be accepted by these guys.  They are super competitive when it comes to getting a girl’s attention…  Not to mention how they become desperate as well.

            While we were eating dinner, Dad and Lu Han were super talkative.  Lu Han was asking Dad how he landed a job with Microsoft back in the early days when it was still a small business.  Then, he went on to ask about Dad’s entire career and what he is doing besides teaching these days.

            Dad smiled warmly at Lu Han.  In a way, Lu Han is similar to Mason.  I could feel the Daddy-lovingness oozing from Dad to Lu Han.  Also, I could tell that he misses Mason and Lu Han is the substitute “host son”.  They both like to talk about business with him.  I just don’t really care because I never really liked how it was portrayed in the media. 

            “Right now, I am the financial consultant of the Japanese companies: Koji Corporation and Meiji Publications and the Korean company: Lotte Distribution.” replied Dad, with a smile. 

            Lu Han stares at him, admiringly.  “Then, why do you teach?  Don’t those companies give you a salary that will provide a comfortable life?”

            “I just like teaching, Lu Han.” nodded Dad.  “I’ve always had.  It was something that I’ve always known that I enjoyed.”

            “So, teaching is just a hobby?” asked Lu Han, cautiously. 

            “I would say that I’m both a financial consultant and a professor.” smiled Dad.

            Lu Han smiled back.  “You must really like teaching then.” he said.

            And, there I was….  Just staring at them.  I honestly don’t ever remember Dad looking at Mason and I that way.  Hmm…  What does that mean?  I shook my head, bringing myself back to reality. 

 

 

            Since it has only been the first day of school, the professors haven’t started to assign homework yet.  So, I was talking to Mason.

            “Ge, ge…  I miss you.” I pouted.

            “It’s not like I haven’t been overseas before.” replied Mason, with a laugh.  “So, how is Lu Han?”

            “What about him, Mason?” I asked.

            “You haven’t complained about him.” he replied.

            “I was getting to it, OK?” I answered, rolling my eyes as if he can see my reaction.  Mason laughed.  “My gosh…  He’s driving me crazy.”

            “You like him?” suggested my stupid, older brother.

            “No!  Look, don’t go to the conclusions!!” I said, mad.  Mason just laughs again.  “I’m serious!  He’s driving me crazy!!”

            “How?”

            “Ugh…  My friends and all the girls at school are chasing after him.  It’s crazy.  After lunch today, a ton of them were hitting on him…  And, then, they come after me because they want his number…  I tell them that I don’t have it, but they don’t believe me.” I replied.  “Those girls think that I’m trying to keep him to myself!  Crazy women.”

            “Maybe you are.  Besides, shouldn’t it be the other way around?  Shouldn’t he be the one that is chasing down the girls?”

            “I don’t know.  I think they like fresh meat.”

            “I’m just glad I’m not going to that school.  And, what was your tweet about?”

            “Huh?”

            “Something about people who look like idols.”

            “Oh, that.  Minyu was saying how Lu Han looks like he’s an idol.”

            Mason starts laughing again.  “He does look like an idol.” he commented.

            “No, he doesn’t!” I stated.  “He looks like a middle schooler!”

            “No, really Mia.  He does!” said Mason.  “You know that picture you sent me…  The man is idol, actor, and model material.”

            “So, what?  That’s probably just his looks.” I shrugged.

            “It’s not just his looks.  It’s the way his style is, how his hair is done, and how he gets the girls.”

            “What?” I asked.  “How would you know how he gets girls?”

            “You just talked about it!” defended Mason.  “He’s a babe magnet!”

            I had an urge to roll my eyes when there was a knock on my door.  I opened it and there stood Lu Han and he had his notebook and pencil in hand.  I knew what that meant.  “Hey, Mason.” I said, into my phone.

            “Yeah?” he asked.

            “I’m going to have to go now.” I replied, as I motioned for Lu Han to come into my room.  “Bye.”

            “Bye~  Have fun!” laughed Mason, knowing what’s going on.

            I was about to say something when he hung up on the other side.  I just shook my head and look over at Lu Han.  His back was towards me, as I hung up my phone.  Yeah, sure.  The guy is pretty tall and is good looking according to society’s standard, but for him to be actual idol/actor/model material?  I don’t know.

            “You need me to help you with something?” I asked.

            Lu Han turns around and replies, “Math.”

            “Of all subjects, why math?” I asked.  I watched him, as he observed my room in a careful manner.

            “You were talking to your brother?” he asked, looking at me.

            I nodded my eyes, as I realized how tall he was.  I glanced at my full size mirror and glanced at the height difference between us.  Lu Han smiled into the mirror.

            “You’re freaking short.” he replied.  “Like a midget or something.”

            I glanced over at him.  “Get out!” I demanded.

            “I’m going to tell your dad.” he threatened.

            “I don’t care!  Go ahead!”

            Lu Han sent me an evil smile and went to the doorway.       “Uncle Chung~” he said.

            Not wanting to get into trouble, I quickly said, “OK, I care!”

            But, it was too late.  “What is it, Lu Han?” asked Dad.  I thought that he was downstairs, but he obviously popped out of nowhere from his office.

            Lu Han turned to me, with that devil smile of his.  “Mia?” questioned Dad.

            I opened my mouth to say something, but Lu Han answered me.  “Mia is going to take me to Seoul for the weekend.” he said.

            What?, I thought.  I looked over at Dad.  He had a bright, huge smile on in agreement.  Even if I said that what Lu Han said was a complete lie, Dad will still force me to take him to Seoul.  Of all places, why?  It’s far away.

            “That’s great!” laughed Dad.  “Why don’t you guys stay there for a night and try to explore Seoul as much as possible?  I’ll book a nice hotel for you two!

            “W-What?” I squeaked. Before I could stop Dad, he already went back into his hotel in an excited mood.  I turned to Lu Han and glared at him.  “Are you serious?  You just had to do that!  Knowing my dad, we will probably end up sleeping in the same room!”

            Lu Han just smirks and shrugs his shoulders.  “I don’t care.  It’s like we’re already sleeping in the same room because of that stupid bathroom that connects our rooms together.” he replied.  “Are you going to help me or what?”

            I groaned in response.  I seriously hate math and that baby face devil, Lu Han.

 

Author’s Note:

 

            Hi everyone!  Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!  It’s a bit longer this time, but I hope you guys don’t mind! 

            Yay!  A trip to Seoul!  Wonder how that’s going to turn out….  keke

 

LOVE,

loveFORyunho