Chapter 39

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 2024

 

SONG JOONG KI

"I'm really tired of it." I sighed. "I know I promised to stay through it all with her, but I'm really tired."

"What do you mean?" My manager asked.

"Just...I want out." I said as I put my head into my hands.

"Are you out of your ing mind?!" Hyung exclaimed. "After all you went through?!"

"I can't go through more." I sighed again, frustration can be heard in my voice. "I have to end it." 

"What do you think she will feel?!" My manager said loudly. 

"What about what I feel?!" I yelled back. "I'm tired."

"You won't regret this again?"

I sat up straight and looked at Hyung straight in the eyes. "I won't."

A sad smile crept into my manager's face. "It will be alright, Joong Ki."

"Hyung!" I frowned. "You're supposed to call me Tae Jun! That's my character's name!" 

"Oh right." My manager said as he rifled through the script he was helping me practice for. "I forgot your name in this drama."

I sighed and shook my head. "I'll just practice some more on my own. But great work, Hyung. You really seemed like my character's friend when you yelled at me. You sure you don't want to be an actor?"

"I'll put you out of work if I do." He chuckled.

I only laughed at him. "Well, you could try." 

"Anyway, why did you need help practicing this scene?" He asked after a while. "Typically, you do well on your own." 

"Well, my character wants to break up with his girlfriend." I shrugged. "I can't relate to the feeling at all, but I still want to do a good job acting it." 

His eyebrows furrowed at me. "Are you subtly bragging how lovey dovey you and Hye Kyo are?"

I grinned. "I am." 

He clicked his tongue at me. "It's been more than a year of you two dating, when will you tire of telling everyone that you guys are still as in love as ever?"

"Never." 

He rolled his eyes. "Happy for you then." 

"Oh. By the way, Hyung. Have you talked to the agency about what I asked for?" 

"Yeah." He nodded. "They gave the okay. Rest assured that everything will be handled. When will you do it?" 

"Probably today. I'm not yet sure." I smiled widely at him. "Thanks a lot, Hyung! I owe you one."

"You owe me tons." He scowled. "Been covering your for years, I probably deserve a higher pay grade."

"Talk to Tae Hyun Hyung about that. He's co-owner of Blossom Ent. after all." I laughed as I stood up and prepared to leave. "I'm leaving, Hyung. Hye Kyo's at home and she's down with food poisoning, so I have to take care of her." 

"Alright. Tell Hye Kyo I wish her to get well soon!"

I waved at him goodbye just as I exited the door of the meeting room. "Will do. Bye and thanks again, Hyung!"

 

SONG HYE KYO

"Jagiya, I'm home!" I heard Joong Ki call from our living room. "Where are you?"

"Bathroom." I managed through my session of retching in front of the toilet. "Don't go in here. It's not a pretty sight."

I never expected Joong Ki to listen, and he didn't. In no time he was standing by the door of the bathroom and had kneeled beside me, gathering my hair as I continued to vomit out the few bites of food I had today.

"Are you okay?" He asked worriedly.

"I'm fi --"

I couldn't finish my sentence as I had to face the toilet again. 

"Ssi-bal (.)" I whispered breathlessly as I finished.

"We should really go to the hospital." He sighed as he continued to hold my hair.

"No." I groaned. "The media will have a field day. I can already see the headlines -- Song Hye Kyo was taken to the Hospital for food poisoning after being seen on a date at a Gopchang restaurant with Song Joong Ki."

"Well, they would be right." He muttered.

"That would be bad business for the restaurant we were seen at." I said weakly.

"Well, they would deserve it." He frowned. "You did get food poisoning from there."

I glared at him and pushed him away with the little strength I have. "Just go and leave me for a bit."

"But --"

"Leave, Joong Ki." I said firmly this time. He sighed and shook his head as he left the bathroom, closing the doors behind him quietly. 

I have been feeling unwell since Joong Ki and I had that Gopchang date the other day. I had craved for it for so long and it was supposed to be a a pick-me-up date since I was feeling quite moody and out of sorts due to my hectic work schedule, accompanied by the jetlag I had after having flown to the US for a fashion show I had to attend for Fendi a few days back. But I ended up getting food poisoning and was puking endlessly since yesterday. Joong Ki wanted to take me to the hospital from the very start, but I continuously declined. I thought I would be okay with just a full-night's rest, turns out I was wrong. 

After another wave of nausea had hit me and I ended up puking again, I wiped my mouth and flushed the toilet. I quickly brushed my teeth and gingerly walked out of the bathroom, still feeling weak. 

Joong Ki was by the kitchen, setting up plates and spoons.

"Let's eat the Soybean stew Eomma sent us. I heated it." He said. "Maybe it will make you feel better."

I shook my head, having no appetite at all. "I just want to rest."

"But you're stomach's empty." He said as he took the Doenjang Jjigae out of the microwave. Instantly, I felt light headed. 

"I really don't want to eat." I grumbled in annoyance, trying not to cover my nose, in case Joong Ki might get offended that I found his mother's cooking smelling a bit foul. "I'll drink some medicine and take a nap for now." 

Joong Ki sighed. "Alright." 

I entered our bedroom and walked to the cabinet where I kept most of the medicine to get myself something that might help my stomach, but as I searched its contents my gaze landed on a purple box hidden behind the bottle of Pept-Bismol. 

I contemplated a little and made calculations in my head.

I didn't want to entertain any ideas in my head knowing that Joong Ki and I had always been careful and had used contraceptives consistently. 

But what if?

I took out the box and stared at it. 

I had resigned to the idea that I wasn't going to be able to have kids, given my age, and since Joong Ki and I are still only dating. Sure, we were more comfortable in discussing the topic of marriage now, but he hasn't gotten on one knee yet, or even presented me any kind of ring aside from the promise ring he had given me a year ago on my birthday. 

But as I stared at the glaring pregnancy test kit box in my hand,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter