Chapter 38

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG HYE KYO

The talk Joong Ki and I had turned out to be the solution to subdue my thoughts and fears of our relationship failing once again. Having to let out all those feelings and letting him know what truly went on with me during the time we had divorced really helped clear my head, and also made my heart feel a lot lighter. Joong Ki was right in saying that we may not always get along, and the road ahead of us may not always be flowery, but I am assured that this time, we will walk it with hands held tightly together. I was no longer fearing the future of our relationship because I know that this time, Joong Ki will be by my side all the way. 

Weeks had passed since then, and we have both started working on our respective dramas. Joong Ki was busy with shooting for Reborn Rich and I was also just as busy with The Glory. Having to do a revenge drama was entirely new to me and the character I played was full of fury and hate, so it sometimes took a toll on me and was usually mentally exhausted having to maintain that kind of anger during most hours of the day. It helped though that the place I come home to every night was warm and hugely different from my character's life. That largely helped in separating my work and personal mindset, which made me truly thankful, because if I had still lived how I used to before Joong Ki and I patched things between us, it would've really put my mental health at risk. 

The days flew by quite quickly, and soon it was the holidays. I spent Christmas with Joong Ki at our place and had invited both our families to celebrate with us. It was a huge relief to me to see my Mom still be friendly with Joong Ki's parents and siblings. We all spent the whole night chatting and laughing, and as we exchanged gifts with each other, I couldn't help but smile to myself as Joong Ki wrapped his arms around me. Never had I imagined before that I would be seeing this sight again, so my heart was beyond full at seeing us altogether again. Added to the fact that I truly missed the company of Joong Ki's nephews and his younger sister, who have all grown quite close to me during the time we were married, and whose presence I had missed during the time we were separated. It was a very good Christmas all in all. 

Two days after Christmas, I had received a rather expected, though still surprising invitation. My agency had told me earlier that I would be attending the 15th Korean Drama Festival on the December of 31st. Despite also doing Now, We Are Breaking Up with Joong Ki on the same year, our drama wasn't included in the awards nominations, since it was aired near the end of 2022. While Remembering You, the drama I had done with Song Seung Heon, was aired earlier in the year and it had received many nominations, and I was expected to attend. 

I had thought that I would be going solo, seeing as Seung Heon Oppa and I are exes in the public's eyes. But I had gotten a message from my manager that Seung Heon Oppa's agency had told us to go together as a show of camaraderie and to prove to the public that there is absolutely no bad blood between us. There wasn't any hostility between Oppa and I, really, but I was hesitant. After all, I had to consider Joong Ki's feelings for this. 

"So, basically you have no choice because his agency asked." Joong Ki stated when I told him of it during dinner at home one night. 

"Basically." I said. "My agency asked me if I'm willing, and although I see no problem with it, I still want to ask if you would let me."

"I don't really have any say in regards to your decision about this though." He said sourly. 

"You do." I replied. "You and I are dating, and it is no secret that Seung Heon Oppa and I used to date and you had took that rather badly then. I want to know what you feel about this, then I'll make my decision if I should accept or not."

Joong Ki sighed and let go of his chopsticks. He had then reached out across the table to hold my hand in his. "I'm fine with it Hye Kyo."

"Really?" I asked uncertainly. "You are?"

He nodded and smiled, still not letting go of my hand. "This is still considered work, right? And I know that you have no lingering feelings for him. I'm secured with my place in your heart."

"Will you be okay?" I asked again. "Won't it be weird? I mean, you are invited to the 15th Korean Drama Festival for Solo Leveling too."

"I'm not going." He said while smiling. "My agency and manager already agreed when I told them. So, I would just be supporting you at home on that day."

"Oh. Alright."

So, with Joong Ki's blessing, I had decided to accept the invitation from Seung Heon Op

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter