Chapter 27

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG JOONG KI

September 19th, 2022

 

Today is my birthday--my 37th, in fact. 

And although I did not want to admit it, I had been looking forward to today for quite a while now. I had been wanting to spend my birthday with Hye Kyo once again, the first time in 3 years.

I was quite ecstatic as I woke up early in the morning. I immediately got a hold of my phone as I looked at the notifications which was overflowing with birthday greetings. I also got a ton of messages from my manager containing photos of gifts from my fans that were sent to the office. I felt happy and touched at all these, but a frown had soon formed on my lips as I noticed that the one person I was expecting to wish me a happy birthday had not sent me any sort of greeting -- not even a good morning message.

Scrolling through my contacts, I immediately called her number.

"Hey." Hye Kyo said on the other line.

"Hello. Good morning to you." I answered as I heard rustling on the other end of the line. "You sound busy so early in the morning. What's going on?" 

Hye Kyo groaned. "Ugh. I received an urgent call from Fendi. Remember the photoshoot I did in August? We need to reshoot it for some reason."

"Well, that . What time will your photoshoot end? Maybe we can hang out after since it's my, you know, birthday." I said, trying to hide that little hint of annoyance in my voice.

I heard Hye Kyo gasp on the other line. "Oh my god! I totally forgot to send you a birthday message this morning! I am so sorry! But I didn't forget that your birthday is today, I swear! it's just that I woke up to Unnie's frantic call and I had been running around making adjustments to my schedule and packing my things and sending Ruby to my mom so she can take care of her while I'm gone, and--"

"Wait. What? Packing your things? Sending Ruby to your Mom? What are you talking about? Is this not a short schedule?" I was so confused with what Hye Kyo was saying.

I can hear the dejectedness in Hye Kyo's voice. "I'm so sorry, Joong Ki. I'll be gone for a week for the photoshoot."

"A week?!" I exclaimed in surprise. "Why?! Didn't the shoot you did last time for Fendi only took half a day?" 

"I'm flying to New York for the photoshoot this time."

"WHAT?!" I exclaimed. "Are you being serious right now?"

I heard Hye Kyo sigh. "Yes. And I absolutely feel bad about it since it's your birthday today but I can't really cancel this schedule. You know that Fendi is such a renowned brand and I don't want them to be disappointed in me as their ambassador." 

I let out an exhasperated sigh and tried to calm my feelings down. I totally understand where Hye Kyo is coming from, in our line of work, our responsibilities and commitments as public figures come before birthdays, anniversaries, and even holidays. I could never take it against her for deciding to fly to New York for her photoshoot today since it is an urgent schedule and it's Fendi. 

"I'm really sorry, Joong Ki. I promise to make it up to you when I get back." Hye Kyo continued.

I was still feeling sullen but decided to just keep it to myself. "It's okay. I understand. Can I drop you off at the airport? I'd atleast like to see you on my birthday, even if it's just for a short period of time."

"Sure. I'd love to see you too."

"What time will you leave?" I asked.

"I have a flight in 4 hours so you can pick me up in 30 minutes."

"Alright" I said the hung up the phone.

What started as such a good day filled with excitement at the thought of spending my birthday with Hye Kyo was now replaced with a sinking and disappointing feeling. I lethargically got out of bed and proceeded to take a shower and get dressed. I was sighing the whole time I was fixing myself and up until I drove and parked at Hye Kyo's building basement. 

Hye Kyo got off the elevator without any suitcase, just her personal bag. 

"Where's your luggages?" I asked when she got in.

"Oh. Manager Unnie picked them up a while ago. I told her you were going to drop me off at the airport so she offered to go ahead and check in my bags so it wouldn't be a hassle for me. She'll be waiting for me there."

"Oh okay." I said, then proceeded to drive towards Incheon Airport.

Hye Kyo suddenly sighed. "Seriously, this ruins everything. I was planning to spend the day with you. I even wanted to hold you a special birthday gathering or something but I just had to have a sudden schedule, of all the days." 

I held Hye Kyo's hand with my free hand. "It's alright. I do feel sad about it  but there's nothing we can do if it's for work. Just promise to make it up to me when you come back." I winked at her as I momentarily shifted my gaze away from the road. 

"I will. Don't worry." She grinned. 

The drive to Incheon Airport was shorter than I wanted it to be, I wanted to slow down time and spend more time with her during my special day but that is impossible, so I just contented myself with holding her hand tight all throughout the drive. 

At the departure bay of the airport, I reluctantly let go of Hye Kyo's hand. "Take care in New York, okay? Goodluck with work."

She turned to me, a hint of sadness in her eyes. "Happy birthday, Joong Ki. I promise we'll celebrate your birthday when I come back." 

I touched her cheek and pushed myself t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter