Chapter 37

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG HYE KYO

 

The weeks that followed our dating announcement was nothing short of chaotic. It was the only news on every TV network, website, and social media platform for days and many people had a lot to say. Though some were happy for Joong Ki and I, many had voiced out their concerns and had a lot of questions. 

It was definitely unusual, especially when you're a public figure, to go back to dating someone you have divorced with and that was a prevalent worry from the public and our fans. It was understandable how many of my fans were asking why I had to go back to someone who hurt me, and though I wanted to defend my choice, I decided to just ignore it. My manager and agency also advised me not to engage with them anymore, especially the hate comments being made. 

A lot of people had also speculated that Joong Ki and I were only dating again for the clout and ratings. After all, Now We Are Breaking Up had finally ended its airing and had a stellar average of 47% viewer rating on its last episode. The highest ever recorded, and the highest rating a drama I've ever been in has made. Ignoring that was much harder on my part. This was why I did not want our dating news to come out before the drama ended. It felt like all the hardwork everyone had put on the show was overshadowed by our dating news and it made me feel bad and guilty that all the efforts of the the staff, crew, and our co-stars, were disregarded. I had apologized profusely to everyone, especially the writer and the director, though they all said that it was alright and that they knew that it was not my intention nor Joong Ki's. They all told me to just focus on the fact that the drama did welll and that we know in ourselves that it was because of the efforts we have made. 

Life went back to usual after a while. After being cooped up in our apartment for days after the dating announcement, Joong Ki and I had returned to working again. My upcoming drama, The Glory, which was written by Kim Eun Sook, was well-underway and shooting would start soon. While Joong Ki had also chosen a new drama to star in. It was called Reborn Rich and he had just finished their table reading for it. Their shooting would also start the same time The Glory would, and many had surmised that the airing of the dramas would probably be held on the same time. Many had commented on the fact that the genre of our new dramas were the same; both were centered on revenge, and though Joong Ki's drama had a supernatural twist to it, due to the time-travelling and reincarnation element, most thought that it would somehow compete with each other, add to the fact that it was produced by competing TV networks. Many had commented that we might be fighting for ratings once the shows premiered, but Joong Ki and I had talked about it in the confines of our home. We only wished each other goodluck, and he had assured me that ratings and doing better than me in the industry no longer mattered to him. Fame was only a superficial thing, he said, and I wholeheartedly agreed. 

The two of us are doing much better, especially since the public now knows we are dating. There was no longer any need for us to hide when we go out, but we still maintained a low-profile as much as we could. Now that the public is involved and many are saying their own opinions about our relationship, we made a promise of communicating our feelings more, and not let what others say get to us. Though there are times when I do find myself a bit restless, especially whenever talks of marriage is involved. 

Joong Ki had one interview where the host asked him about his plans in regards to marriage since we were dating again. He only smiled and did not offer any answer. It left quite a bad taste in my mouth after seeing that particular interview, and the fears and worry I had in regards of our past had come back to haunt my thoughts once again. Though I tried hard not to show it. I still didn't want to face those memories, so I shoved them far back on my mind and focused on the fact that it was my choice to be together with Joong Ki again, and it had been my choice to trust him not to break my heart and hurt me again, even though a small part of me is still wary.

"Hye Kyo Noona." 

My thoughts were disrupted by Lee Do Hyun, my character's partner in The Glory. He had only debuted in 2017 and was only 27 years old, but he's had a remarkable career already, having starred in a string of high-rated dramas. 

"Oh, Do Hyun-ah. What's up?"

"Why are you sitting here alone?" He asked.

The two of us were currently at a dinner hosted for the staff and crew of The Glory, and I had decided to sit by myself, tryintg to avoid the shots of soju and beer the others were offering me. I didn't really want to drink and embarrass myself this early on. 

"I didn't want to drink." I simply said. "What about you? Shouldn't you be mingling with the others?"

"I had too much to drink already and I wanted to take a rest." He said as he took the seat next to me. 

I wasn't yet close to Do Hyun, but he's a good kid so I'm quite comfortable with him already. 

"Noona." He started. "I really wanted to thank you."

"Thank me? What for?" I asked in confusion.

"For taking the drama." He grinned. "I have no plan at all on how I'll be able to meet you in real life, let alone work with you. So by you taking this drama gave me that miraculous chance."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Jinja. Should I take that as a compliment then?"

"Yes of course!" He answered quickly. "I'm such a fan of yours, Noona! Ever since I was a kid!"

"Thanks for reminding me of our ." I chuckled. 

He sported a small frown. "Oh. I didn't mean that."

I laughed again. "It's alright, I know I'm old."

"You don't look like you're old anyway." He said. "You look like my age!"

"Now you're just pulling my leg."

Do Hyun shook his head vehemently. "I'm being honest!" 

"All right. All right." I said. 

I spent the rest of the night chatting with Do Hyun until my manager had called me to tell that she was already outside the restaurant, waiting for me to get out. I bid goodbye to Do Hyun, along with the rest of the cast and crew of The Glory and made my way outside. 

The winter seemed harsher this year and I was freezing the moment I walked out of the restaurant to find my manager's car. But to my utter surprise, instead of seeing Unnie, I saw Joong Ki waving at me from the driver's seat of his car. 

"Jagiya!" He called out. 

"Yah!" I called out in shock. "What are you doing here?!"

"I came to get you." He grinned. 

"What? But Unnie said -"

"Noona is in on it." He said. "I wanted to surprise you." 

"Well, I am surprised. I thought you were busy at your office." 

"I ended my work early." He said. "Now get in. It's cold!"

I hurriedly went inside the passenger side of the car and the moment my skin felt the warmth of the heater in Joong Ki's car I let out a satisfied sigh.

"That feels nice." 

Joong Ki smiled and then leaned over to me and planted a tender kiss on my lips. 

"What about that?" He smirked.

I let out a small chuckle. "That feels nice too." 

The whole ride back to our apartment, Joong Ki and I chatted about our respective new dramas. I had told him about what Do Hyun said during dinner and had bragged that I was being seen as someone as young as twenty-seven. 

"Hmm. That kid's just probably hitting on you." He frowned.

"Yah." I glared. "That's impossible."

"It's not." He clicked his tongue. "It's obvious he's smitten by you - I mean, everyone is."

"Everyone also knows I'm dating you again."

"Others don't see dating as binding enough." He said in annoyance. "They think they still have a shot because we can break up."

"And will we break up?"

"Hell no!" Joong Ki exclaimed instantly. 

I let out another chuckle. "All right."

"But seriously, shut that kid down when he tries to flirt with you again - or any other guy for that matter."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "He wasn't flirting with me. As I've said, he knows we're dating."

"And as I've said, dating isn't binding enough for some guys." He said firmly. "They only stop when you're married, and even then -"

Joong Ki suddenly stopped himself. I knew exactly why. The talk of marriage, even the mention of it, always puts us into an awkward silence. Somehow, it irked me. 

"Even then what?" I asked.

He shook his head and sighed. "Nothing."

I didn't even notice that he's already parked his car in our basement's building.

"And even then, marriage isn't binding enough?" I said testily. "Because marriage can be divorced and dissolved, right?" 

Still Joong Ki did not say anything as he got out of the car. I followed him out, and the ride in the elevator was uncomfortabl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter