Chapter 29

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG HYE KYO

 

It had been two weeks since Joong Ki's birthday, and fortunately not one peep about his party was leaked to the media. I was very grateful for the staff of Grand Hyatt and all the other people involved with the planning, as well as those who were invited. Maybe it was also the iron clad NDA that I got people to sign to thank for. 

But it had been hectic work-wise since then. Our shooting schedule for Now, We Are Breaking Up had been changed. We were rushing to finish shooting in just one more month since after deciding to stick to just 16 episodes due to conflicting schedules of the other actors and actresses, filming and production would be 100% done by the time of its airing on December. I'm also scheduled to leave for Los Angeles and do promotions and a shoot for Fendi for about a week once filming for the drama wraps up, and right after that I'm scheduled to leave for Paris for a commitment with Chaumet. And in between all that I still had tons of schedules to fulfill. I barely had any time for myself, let alone have time to spend with Joong Ki. We'd only see each other for a few scenes when we're shooting, but most of the sequences we're currently filming did not include the two of us to be on set at the same time. Just like right now, I was filming scenes for the drama without Joong Ki. 

I let out a sigh. 

"You're sighing as if you're shouldering all the problems in the world." My manager said as she sat next to me, giving me an iced coffee. 

"Thanks, Unnie." I said as I mindlessly drank. 

"What's the problem this time?" 

I turned to her with a pout. "I miss Joong Ki." 

My manager rolled her eyes and made a face in response to what I said. "Ugh. Stop being so dramatic. You'll see him the day after tomorrow anyways."

"I know. But I just miss him. Why is Jeju so far away anyways?" I groaned. Joong Ki was currently at Jeju for a magazine photoshoot and he'd been there for 2 days already. 

Unnie was probably about to say something snarky to my absurd question but was interrupted by my phone's ringing. Thinking that it was Joong Ki, I excitedly took my phone out only to be a little bit disappointed. My manager probably noticed how my face fell a little. 

"Not your boyfriend, huh?" She snickered. "Who is it?"

"It's my mom." Not that I was annoyed that my mother was calling me, but I was just expecting someone else. I answered the phone, trying to sound a little more upbeat so my mom won't notice my disappointment.

"Hi, Mom. What's up? Why'd you call?"

"Do I have to have a reason to call my daughter? I just miss talking to you!" My mom replied.

I chuckled. "I miss you too, Eomma." 

"Yah. When are you coming home? I haven't seen you in months! I get updates about your life through the news!"

"Sorry, mom. I've been really busy these days. Don't worry, I'll make it up to you. I promise." I said, smiling to myself.

"Why don't you come over tonight and stay for atleast a day? I know for a fact that you have a free day tomorrow." She said. 

"How'd you know that?" 

"I called your manager yesterday and asked about your schedule. Can't your mother do that?"  I can almost feel my mother pouting from the other end of the line.

"Arasseo, Eomma. I'll come over today so you can stop sulking." I laughed.

"You better! I'll be waiting for you with all your favorite food. Bring Ruby!" She replied. 

"Okay, Eomma. See you later." I said, then hung up the phone after my mother bade goodbye. 

"You're going to Daegu?" Unnie asked.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Should I drive you there?" 

"No need. I can drive on my own. You can just drop me off at home so I can get some things since I'll be staying there until tomorrow. The long drive would help me clear up my mind anyways." I said.

"Okay, if you want to." My manager replied. 

 

Shooting ended earlier than expected so it wasn't that late when my manager dropped me off at home. I hastily packed a few clothes and an overnight bag for me and Ruby. Within a few minutes I was out the door and driving my way to Daegu. 

It was a long drive, but thankfully Ruby was at her most upstanding behavior. She napped for the whole 4 hours, so I was lucky to not have to juggle driving and catering to her. When I parked my car inside my mother's house, she was already outside to greet me with a huge smile on her face.

"Eomma." I said, rushing towards her with Ruby following behind me. 

"My daughter." She said as she hugged me tight. "You finally came home after I begged so much." 

"I'm sorry. I've been really busy these days." I said, returning her tight hug. 

My mom led me towards the house and I was greeted by the familiar scene of my childhood. My mother had been living in this house ever since I was a child. We did some renovations to the house when I started earning substantial money through acting, but we essentially kept the place as it was, only improving it a little to make my mother more comfortable.

"So, how have you been?" My mother asked once we sat down to eat dinner. 

"I'm okay. It's been pretty hectic with work. We still have a month of filming left for Now, We Are Breaking Up and I also have tons of schedules lined up. I'm to leave for the US for Fendi then right after I'd be leaving for France for a schedule with Chaumet." I said in between spoonfuls of food. 

"You're not overworking yourself, are you?" She asked, worry shrouding her face.

"I'm fine, Mom. Really." I smiled at my mother's concern. 

"And what about...?" She trailed.

"Hm?" 

"You know what I'm talking about." She urged on.

"Ah. Joong Ki?" I smiled a little.

"Yah. You crazy girl. I heard through the grapevine that the two of you are dating again!" She said, lightly hitting my shoulder. 

I choked out a laugh. "Who did you hear that from? That's my most kept secret nowadays." 

"Your manager told me everything when I called her. You're even keeping that secret from your own mother?!" She looked annoyed as she said this. 

I placed my chopsticks down and took a deep breath before answering. "I'm sorry, Mom. It's just that things had been hectic and I was so preoccupied with everything. I just honestly forgot to tell you." 

She just sighed but didn't say anything.

"I thought you'd be happy? You seemed ecstatic at the news that we're friends and working together again." I said gingerly.

"Being friends and working together in a project is one thing, but Hye Kyo, the two of you are dating again? That's a serious concern for me as your mother. I would hate to see you getting the short end of the stick once this becomes public." My mother said. 

"That's why we're keeping it under wraps." 

"Until when? Is that your plan? To just keep on dating secretly? Is there any future to this?" My mom asked. 

"I don't know, Mom. It's only been a few months since and we even just celebrated our 100th day as a couple a few days ago. Talking about the future seems to be a lot of pressure for a relationship that had only begun again a few months ago." I replied.

"I do not understand this at all. You used to be married to him, why are you taking this relationship as if it's the first time the two of you dated?" My mother rolled her eyes at me. "Are you not planning to have a family of your own? You should be talking about the future if the two of you are really planning to pursue this relationship!"

I sighed. "Mom. I really don't want to think about that right now. I'm just currently enjoying this happiness that I'm feeling with Joong Ki." 

"My dear, you know I want what is best for you right? You have to consider a lot of things. You're also not getting any younger."

I let out a small smile. "Thanks for reminding me that I'm old, Mom." 

"I'm trying to have a serious conversation here." My mother glared.

"Mom, Joong Ki and I haven't really touched up on the subject of marrying again. I know where you're coming from and I totally get it but it just feels too soon to have that conversation with him." I replied. 

My mother sighed once again. "Alright. I won't pester you about that anymore but just keep it in mind, sweetheart. I know for a fact that you'd like to have kids of your own and having them later would pose risks for your health too, so I just want you to remember that." 

"I will, Mom." I smiled weakly.

I had spent more time with my mom just chatting about what's going on with work and other aspects of my life after dinner. We had so much fun talking that we both forgot how late it already is. I retired to my bedroom in my mother's house after I said goodnight to her and Ruby.

I lied wide awake in bed, thinking of the conversation I had with my mom earlier.

She was right. I wasn't gettting any younger and starting a family later rather tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter