Chapter 30

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG HYE KYO

 

My trip to Daegu was a much needed breather. The slow paced lifestyle the countryside offered was in perfect contrast with my fast paced, hectic life in Seoul. But the spontaenous overnight trip to my hometown flew by and I was now driving my way back to Seoul. It was sad leaving my mother and the comfortable confines of my childhood home but I was happy to go back to the city. After all, Joong Ki would be arriving tomorrow and I'll be able to see him. 

I arrived at home late in the afternoon and all I wanted to do was lie down and rest. Aside from the long drive, I had overthinked myself into exhaustion last night so I wasn't able to get a good sleep. I lugged Ruby and my bag inside the house and crashed on my living room sofa. I was too exhausted to even walk to my bedroom and sleep there. 

When I woke up from my much-needed nap, it was already dark outside. I checked my phone to see that it was already 11pm, there were also messages from my manager about work and one message from Joong Ki. I had also missed four calls from him. Immediately, I called him back. 

"Hello?" I said once the call had connected.

"Hye Kyo! Why weren't you answering your phone?" Joong Ki said on the other line.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I took a nap right after getting home from Daegu. The long drive exhausted me too much. But did anything happen? Why do you sound so panicked right now?" 

I heard Joong Ki sigh in relief. "I thought something was wrong when you didn't answer my calls, thank god you were just sleeping." 

I chuckled at what he said. This guys can really overreact sometimes. "I'm fine. Don't worry."

"I'm standing here at your building's lobby, if you didn't answer my call one more time I would've demanded the receptionist to let me barge in your house."

My eyes grew at what he said. "What? Wait! I'm coming down right now!"

I was breathless when I finally came down to the lobby as I frantically searched for Joong Ki.

His back was facing me but I would know from anywhere that it was him. With no care about my surroundings I darted towards where he was standing and hugged him.

The force must've suprised him as he stumbled forward a little.

"Ow." He mumbled, still hugging him but giving enough space to turn towards me.

I was beaming at him. "Why are you here?! You're supposed to be back tomorrow morning!"

He grinned sheepishly at me before answering. "I had to see you. I missed you too much." 

"Yah. Did you skip out on work?" My eyes widened at the thought.

"No, I didn't." He chuckled. "I just worked harder and faster so I could see you as soon as I could."

I was about to hug him again when I noticed that the people at the lobby were now looking at us. Thankfully, the people there were personnel of my apartment building. 

I awkwardly stepped back from Joong Ki and bowed my head to them, to which they nodded courteously back, seeming to understand that whatever they saw here tonight was to be kept a secret.

"Let's continue talking at my apartment." I said, almost half dragging him to the elevator because of my embarrassment.

Once inside my house, Ruby had excitedly jumped on Joong Ki, as if demanding to be carried and nuzzled.

"Me first, little girl." I said to my dog. 

Joong Ki seemed to have taken the hint and immediately pulled me in with a kiss. All the fears I had harbored after my conversation with my mother all but forgotten.

"Guess you really did miss me, huh?" I said as we parted. Joong Ki was flushed in the face but he was smiling. 

"I did. Every second of the day." He said softly. 

I was about to kiss him again when I felt Ruby basically nudging me out of the way.

"Arasseo!" I chuckled to my dog as Joong Ki laughed, finally carrying Ruby in his arms and snuggling her.

"I missed you too, Ruby." He laughed in between my dog his face. 

 

After a slobby kissed reunion with my dog, Joong Ki and I sat on the couch to chat, coffee in hand. 

"So, how was Jeju?" I asked.

"Cold. Especially without you." He said as he snuggled his head on the crook of my neck.

"Aish. This big baby." I laughed a little at him. "But seriously, how was your shoot and interview for GQ?" 

"I had to submerge myself in the pool. In this freaking winter weather. But aside from that it was all good. I had to do an interview too, which you were mentioned by the way." He said, straightening up in his seat.

"I was mentioned? Why?" I asked. 

"They just asked how it was working with you again and us being friends even after parting ways as a couple." Joong Ki chuckled. "If only they knew." 

I eyed him warily. "You didn't let anything slip, did you?" 

"Of course not. I was very careful." He seemed so smug as he said this so all I could do was laugh.

"So, how was Daegu?" He asked after a while.

"I already answered that on the phone yesterday." I said. 

"I know, but you sounded like you wanted to tell me more." 

I contemplated whether I should tell Joong Ki what my mother actually said, but a part of me hesitated. I didn't want him to be pressured into anything and I didn't really want to open up the topic of marriage when we've just started this relationship that we have months ago. 

"It's really just what I said last night. Mom was just asking me about how we started dating again and all that." I said, brushing the topic off once again. 

Joong Ki seemed hesitant to let the topic go, but he obliged.

"Oh by the way, I have something f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter