Chapter 24

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SONG JOONG KI

The world seemed like a more colorful place these past two months to me. It had been two months since Hye Kyo and I officially became a couple. I had been so happy and so fulfilled that I felt like I couldn't wish for anything more. 

We told the news to our respective agencies and those who we absolutely trusted. Everyone was happy for us, saying that they were glad we didn't have to call what we have between us as a "something" since it was not fitting at all given our history and our ages. But accompanied by those greetings of "congratulations" were fair warnings of "be careful".

I understood where everyone was coming from and I greatly appreciate the concern that they have for the two of us, but it really just dampens the mood whenever I'm reminded that Hye Kyo and I couldn't date publicly yet. It was one thing that the public still thinks she's dating Song Seung Heon which upsets me to no end, although I do understand the reasoning behind why they're not announcing their break up yet. I had somewhat forced myself to tolerate the fact that my girlfriend is still being linked to another guy by the public, and although it really annoys me, Seung Heon Sunbae's umbrella of protection on Hye Kyo was something I was thankful for.

But another reason is that Hye Kyo and I's divorce still largely looms above our heads. 

It sure is controversial to have a divorced couple get back together again, especially in Korea. It's even more controversial since Hye Kyo and I are both under the watchful eyes of the public and every move that we both do, whether together or separately, makes ripples -- if not waves -- in the korean entertainment news. 

When the news of our friendship broke out, it was well received by most of the public but there were still some who found it odd. And I can't help but worry about when the time comes for Hye Kyo and I to admit that we're back together again. I don't care about what the people would say about me, but I can't accept it if Hye Kyo comes underfire once again. 

I get hints of annoyance whenever I mistakenly read some comments about Hye Kyo. Some people are so quick to judge and pin the blame on her when they don't even know what exactly went on with our relationship then. All these unsolicited opinions about our relationship was something that we both never asked for and never will, but I guess it was a price to pay for being a celebrity and pursuing our dreams as actors and actresses. 

My only consolation in all of these was that Hye Kyo and I are truly happier and better for each other this time around. I definitely made the right decision in pursuing her again and being honest with how I felt for her despite her being with Seung Heon sunbae that time. I'm glad I didn't give up in winning her back. I can't imagine how it'll be if I had let her slip away again. 

"Hey! Why are you so deep in thought?" Hye Kyo tapped my shoulder as she arrived. 

I was meeting Hye Kyo at our usual bench at the park where she walks Ruby. I had arrived earlier than she did so I had time to get lost in my thoughts. 

I smiled at her as I pulled her into an embrace. "It's nothing. I missed you."

"We were just working on set together hours ago." She replied as she burrowed her head on my chest. 

"Yeah, but I missed you still." 

Hye Kyo giggled as she pulled away from me. "Well, I did too." 

"Why did you call me out for? Was it just to give me a hug?" She asked as we both sat down. 

"I just wanted to see my girlfriend." 

I can see Hye Kyo's cheeks redden. "Stop that."

I chuckled at her reaction as I reached out for her hand to hold. 

"Anyway, I wanted you to come with me tomorrow." I said.

"Where?" She asked, looking up at me. 

"Daegu." 

"Daegu? Why are you--- Wait. Are you visiting your parents tomorrow?" She asked as her eyes widen. I nodded.

"And you want me to come with you? To your parents' house? To see your parents'?" She asked, her voice filled with nervousness. 

I chuckled. "Yes."

"But--" 

"You're coming whether you like it or not though." I said as I raised my eyebrows at her. 

"I'm not saying I don't like to come with you. It's just that I'm really nervous and worried about it. I haven't seen your parents in a long time, and you know, the whole i-used-to-be-married-to-your-son-but-we-divorced-and-yet-now-I'm-his-girlfriend-again thing." 

I stared amusingly at Hye Kyo as she frantically talked. 

"It's fine. You don't have to be nervous or worried. It was Mom who said I should invite you over." I said, touching her cheek as I calmed her down. 

"She did?" Hye Kyo asked as she stared at me, disbelief evident in her tone of voice.

I nodded. "Yeah. She wanted to thank you for the Sulwhasoo products you gave her last time. And besides, I think my brother already told Mom and Dad about us. They both seemed too happy at the prospect of having you over." 

Hye Kyo sighed as a small smile appeared on her lips. "Okay. I'll go." 

"Great." I said, kissing her forehead. "We're leaving early tomorrow so I should walk you home now." 

"Okay." Hye Kyo smiled as the two of us walked towards the direction of UN Village, hand-in-hand. 

 

 

SONG HYE KYO

My nerves would not settle down as I sat on the passenger side of Joong Ki's car. All the way to Daegu, Joong Ki had done his best to calm me down and to ease my worries but the moment we parked in front of his parents' house. I felt the knots on my stomach tighten and a lump on my throat forming.

"I think I'm going to puke." I mumbled.

"What?!" Joong Ki was alarmed as he swiftly turned his head to my direction. He clutched my hands that were firmly balled up in fists on my lap. "Your hands are so cold! Are you sure you're okay?"

I took a few deep breaths, trying to focus and erase the tension that I was feeling. 

"You weren't this nervous the first time you met my parents." Joong Ki chuckled as he stared at me. 

"That and this were totally two different situations!" I exclaimed, annoyed that he found this amusing enough to chuckle. 

"Alright. But I told you, there's no need to worry. My parents never stopped adoring you." He smiled comfortingly before giving me a hug. I was about to hug Joong Ki back when a knock on his car's window surprised us.

"Adeul! (Son!)" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter