Chapter 1

Second Time's A Charm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DECEMBER 31, 2021

SONG HYE KYO

It's fine. It's going to be just fine. 

I repeated that mantra in my head over and over again. I raised my head and stared at my reflection on the mirror and pushed a smile. After taking a deep breath, I reapplied my lipstick and made my way out of the restroom. 

"Noona!" 

I turned my head to see Yoo Ah In running towards me with a huge grin on his face. 

"Ah In!" I grinned and gave him a hug. "You're here alone?" 

"Oh. I just ran over here because I saw you but I came with my partner in the drama." He answered. "You look so so pretty, Noona! As always, Song Hye Kyo-nim is definitely on a different level." 

I laughed. "Stop that. You're embarassing me." 

"But really, Noona. You're looking prettier these days." Ah In gave a sly smile, as if implying anything.

"Probably because I just turned 40 this year, maturity makes a woman glow you know?" I smiled at him.

"Hmm. I don't think so, it's probably because you're dating." Ah In teased.

"Dating? How would I be dating when I'm so busy? I just finished filming another drama last month and I haven't had time to rest. How on earth will I find the time to be dating?" I laughed at how incredulous Ah In said.

"You know, Noona there's this rumour going around about you and Song Seung Heon sunbae. I know we haven't had time to catch up about our lives but you can just give me the gist of it. Promise, I'll take it to my grave." Ah In made the show of putting his arm on his chest. 

"Yah, Sung Heon Oppa and I are just friends. Aish, ever since the announcement of our upcoming project everyone's been speculating that we're dating. What utter nonsense. We haven't even seen each other for a script reading, let alone be dating." I rolled my eyes as the both of us walked towards the venue for the awards ceremony.

"If you say so, Noona. Anyway, I originally ran towards you to wish you goodluck. I really hope you win the Daesang Award this year." Ah In excitedly said.

"Thank you, but honestly I've been really nervous about it. I haven't been to any awards ceremony in a really long time." I said.

"Is that why you're in the bathroom? Doing that awards ceremony mantra you used to always do?" Ah In asked.

"Ah In-ah, how many times do you I have to tell you to never ask what a lady does in the restroom?" I laughed. "But yes, I was doing that." 

"Hye Kyo-ah." 

We both turned around to see the person who called my name, it was Gong Yoo. 

"Ah Oppa. I was just waiting for you." I smiled. 

The drama I filmed with Gong Yoo aired this 2021, and was nominated for a couple of awards for this year's Korea Drama Festival, thus my appeareance at an awards ceremony after a long time. 

"Hello Gong Yoo hyung." Ah In greeted and gave him a bow.

"Ah In, hello. Are you taking my leading lady?" Gong Yoo laughed.

"No, hyung. I was just talking to Noona." Ah In chuckled in return. "Anyway, I'm going back to my partner, Noona. Let's catch up some time!" Ah In said as he rushed back to where his partner was standing around a swarm of reporters. 

"Let's go?" Gong Yoo asked, offering his arm to me. 

I took his arm and took a deep breath. "Let's go, Oppa and try to win as much as we can." 

Gong Yoo laughed and patted my head with his other hand. "That's the spirit. I noticed you were too nervous a while ago while talking to the reporters at the red carpet."

"It's just my nerves. I haven't really been at these functions so I kind of forgot how to handle myself." I said.

"You're fine. It's okay even if we don't win the Daesang, we can win the Best Couple Award instead." Gong Yoo smiled. 

"I'm planning to win everything, Oppa." I joked. Gong Yoo just gave a hearty laugh as we walked in through the double doors. 

The minute we both walked in, I was enveloped in this overwhelming sense of nervousness once again as the flashing of cameras hit me. I haven't been out in the spotlight for quite a while, and there was also this nagging feeling in my chest that would just not let me calm down. I held on tighter to Gong Yoo and tried to steady my breathing. 

"Relax, Hye Kyo-ah. You're very pretty tonight and you're doing just fine." Gong Yoo whispered.

I took great comfort in his words and smiled as we made our way to our seat right at the front. 

A good 30 minutes passed and the ceremony had finally started. Various awards and various artist had won. I clapped, smiled, and stood at every situation that calls for it. I even answered a few questions whenever the MC would walk towards me and give me the mic. I was starting to calm down and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter