can't we

UNEXPECTED

It was already dinner time when Suzy got off from her duty. She was supposed to do some grocery shopping at first before going home but she unexpectedly bumped into an elderly who was looking lost. She speculated that he was about to get an emergency check up. After her apology, she learned that the elderly grandpa was a Korean too. She respectfully told him that she too is a Korean and asked him if he needed any help. The more she looked at the grandpa, somehow she was convinced that she met him a few years back but can't remember why and where. She knew that the grandpa was uncomfortable talking outside the cold for too long, despite that she was already on her way home, she went back inside to entertain him. 

"I'm Suzy, I work here as a resident. Is there anything I can be of help to you sir?", she politely asked as they went inside the hospital again. She swiped her Id card on the sensor and the guard let them through after inspecting their bags. 

"Ah, you are a nice young doctor. I saw you were on your way home, I hope an old man like me wouldn't be much of a trouble to you.",he said. Compared to his physical apearance, his voice sounded younger and surprised Suzy. 

"Sir, are you here for a checkup? May I know who is your physician, I can take you around sir if you like?", she said. 

"Actually, I am just here to meet up with my grandson. It's been a while since we last saw each other.", the grandpa replied. 

They were making their way inside the hospital. A few nurses saw them and asked if the grandpa had to be given medical treatment, Suzy just smiled and shook her head.

"Ah, I see. Are you going to meet up with him right now?",she asked as politely as she can. 

"No, my daughter took me here to visit him, I thought that it would be a great idea to surprise him on his work. You know, I am really proud of him, he'd be the third doctor in our family, soon.", the old mad said. 

"Ah, I know how that feels. I bet he would be really surprised. My grandparents did the same thing about two months ago. The just flew in from Seoul and the first thing that they did was to visit me.  I was really glad that they did come.", Suzy smiled. 

"By the way sir, may I know from what department is you grandson so that we can page him or go at him directly if he isn't on his rounds or at surgery maybe?",she added. 

"I am not sure on what department he is, but he is also a resident like you."

And that is when it hit Suzy. There could only be one grandson, it is Myungsoo. And the grandpa that she is with now, it Myungsoo's grandpa that she met one time when Myungsoo offered her a ride home when there was a sudden storm surge one afternoon when classes were suddenly canceled way back in highschool. The grandpa was the same grandpa who was driving and insisted that she had to be brought home. Though back then, she would always take a good look at those who are related to Myungsoo, but due to the years that passed them by, she somehow already had forgotten. 

"You know, I am old and to you in the medical feild, you must see me as forgetful already, but I am certain that I have seen you somehow together with my grandson.", he said as he waived his hands.

"Could it be that your grandson is Myungsoo?", she asked. 

Before the grandpa was to answer with a nod, she added. 

"I am good friends with your grandson since highschool. If you can remember the time when there was a strong storm probably eight years ago? When the classes were suddenly canceled, you had to pick up Myungsoo and you kindly offered me a ride home?", Suzy added. 

"Yeah,  I do remember now. That was a long time ago, but you somehow didn't age. You still look the same except without the pigtails.", and the two of them laughed. 

Suzy didn't know Myungsoo's schedule but she was sure that he would stop by the central nurse's station before leaving so she decided to wait for him and chat with the grandpa on the benches near the station. 

Actually, it was a only two days after Myungsoo's confession and it was still fresh on both of their memories. She and Myungsoo definately wanted their own space for the moment, but things on work kept them apart without them trying to do so. She hadn't spoke to  Myungsoo since their date at the concert. She didn't know how to aproach him but somehow some force of nature or fate had worked on them and because of grandpa they had the reason to meet. 

"Thank you for that time.", she smiled and bowed at him 

The old man, smiled back at her. She saw that he and Myungsoo had the same likeness on  their face and therefor she concluded that within forty or fifty years, Myungsoo would look like him. 

Both of them talked for a while but not to long when Suzy heard Myungsoo's voice and he was fast aproaching the station. His grandpa saw him and ran towards him. Myungsoo was definately surprised and glad that his grandpa came by. He was really glad and was jumping around while he hugged his grandfather. When they broke up from each other's embrace, Myungsoo saw Suzy who was gathering her things on the benches and was ready to go. She thought that it might be best not to possibly spoil their heartfelt reunion because things between the two of them had not yet died down. The old man turned around and called her to come. She bowed and smiled and politely went towards them. Myungsoo was smiling back at her. But the old man was caught in between the tension of both of them. 

"Who knows? I bumped into your high school friend on my way here and she was kind enough to wait with me till you came.", Myungsoo's grandfather told him and laughed in the end. The way you imagine your grandfather laughing, arched back, while holding on his protruded belly while laughing hard, mouth is widely open. 

"You troubled Suzy when you could have just told me to that you were coming. Suzy had just finished her 24 hour shift, she tired and wants to go home.", Myungsoo said. 

"Not really, it's nice meeting grandpa again. I also took the chance to thank him properly for driving me home that time.", she said. It was a little awkward but not as awkward as before. Both of them were surprised how relatively easy for them to communicate this time despite knowing that they both have misunderstood each other all along. 

Myungsoo remembered the incident and laughed. 

"And grandpa told me that I am still as pretty as before.", Suzy added so that the old man wouldn't suspect that both of them were on unclear terms with each other. 

"Oh. Grandpa still remembers! Grandpa really likes to exercise.", Myungsoo told Suzy. She just smiled and noded. 

"I am just about to sign out from work. Let's say we take grandpa out for steak?", Myungsoo said. And by we, he meant both him and Suzy. 

Suzy's eyes widened as if she was telling Myungsoo who was infront of her while she stood in the back of grandpa that she shouldn't be going out with them. Myungsoo wrote something on his report and after a few final chekings they were on their way out of the hospital. 

The New York City lights were already on full show and they walked while they talked. 

"Steak is good.", grandpa said. Suzy kept quiet and followed the two of them. Myungsoo led the way and walked with his grandpa. It would be rude if Suzy would decline the grandpa's request to eat with them so she went with them even though it was really unplanned. She just listened to the tandem. 

"Eh? Mom took the earliest flight back to Toronto?", Myungsoo asked.

"She received a phone call that she has to attend some conference on Wednesday and after bringing me here, she told me that she needed to go and it's up to you to make sure that I would fly back to Toronto by the end of the week.", the old man replied. 

Good thing that Myungsoo's mom wouldn't have to have dinner with them together, Suzy thought. Though she is curious about how would Myungsoo's mother look like. 

"Suzy, I was really planning to ask you out for dinner. I was looking for you but when I saw that you signed off, I was about to give you a call when grandpa cam running after me.", Myungsoo said. He stopped and waited for Suzy so that he can walk with her. 

"Really? I was looking for you too this afternoon, I wanted to ask a few things. Ofcourse,.... work related stuff.", Suzy answered. 

They felt that both of them were walking in a faster pace. 

"I was planning to go buy some grocery stuff, but I guess dinner should come first. But I am not really that hungry.", Suzy explained to Myungsoo. 

When they had secured a table for three in a fine dining restaurant that the hospital staff would frequent for it's steaks, the three of them talked while waiting for their orders to be served. 

"Did you know that Myungsoo's mom is an orthodentist and his father is a nurse. When he was in the fourth grade, he had braces on. He looked really awkward back then, when he is to enter high school, he begged his mom to take them off so that he wouldn't look like a nerd.", 

"I had to wear invisible retainers all throught high school and even sometimes in college.", Myungsoo added. 

"You did? I never noticed you had one.", Suzy said. She never did. Despite all those times staring at him, she never knew perhaps it is because she kept looking from a far. And when Myungsoo was close enough, she was too shy too look back at him. 

"Do you like to dance Suzy?", grandpa asked. 

"As a matter of fact, I am a classically trained ballerina for ten years, and I also did some contemporary on the side. I almost decided to be a dance major instead of pursuing medicine.", she answered. 

"Really? How come I didn't see you take classes?", Myungsoo asked. 

"Because I only go on weekends."

"Myungsoo doesn't like to dance. Let's just say that he wasn't good at it at all ,but one time he came home and suddenly asked his mother to arrange dance lessons for him. After a few weeks, Myungsoo came home and handed me a bunch of paper bills, when his mother asked him what were those for, he told us that he was the one who asked for a refund for his dance classes and practically gave up.", grandpa said. They all laughed. Suzy can't imagine Myungsoo dancing. She always had an impression of him that he isn't the one to shed sweat because of dancing. 

"When Myungsoo's mother had to go work abroad, Myungsoo became silent and always kept to himself. Between him and his older brother, he was more of a mama's boy."

"You have an older brother?", Suzy asked. Although now she remembered that he had once mentioned to her about his brother, at that moment it had slipped from her mind. 

"Yeah, I told you before. Because I gave up on dance, I taught myself how to play the guitar.",Suzy knew that Myungsoo knows how to play the guitar because one time she saw him serenading his ex-girlfriend.

Suzy never knew that she hadn't known Myungsoo completely. She also thought that because of the misunderstanding that kept pilling on to them, she really hadn't had the chance to give Myungsoo a fair chance and a clean slate to state his feelings for her. But she ought to remain true to herself, it is her feelings that is have to be considered, she is already kind enough to tell him that she might not be having the same feelings for him. It is just it had been so long and so complicated that it is hard for her to tell this early. 

"So what's the real deal between the two of you? You have been together since highschool, do you date? Or are you engaged?", grandpa suddenly asked.

Suzy tried not to answer and she knew that it would be better if it is Myungsoo who shall answer. 

"Grandpa, you scared Suzy. Still early to be engaged.", Myungsoo said. He sliced his steak, grandpa chew and Suzy contented herself with her fresh garden salad. 

"Well, there's nothing wrong if you try to get to know more about each other. Kids now a days just date and date for the sake of dating. Myungsoo, if you intend to do so, then do it.", grandpa insisted. 

"Suzy-yah, Myungsoo's a nice kid I guarantee you, but sometimes he's a little cold and stoic.", he added. 

"Grandpa, this isn't a match-making dinner.", Myungsoo said. 

"Myungsoo is really nice to me. I really treasure him as a friend."

After eating dinner, Myungsoo walked his grandpa home and insisted the he'll give Suzy a ride home. They walked to Myungsoo's apartment just a few blocks away. They went inside and Myungsoo showed grandpa around. Then they asked for permission and Suzy said goodbye. Myungsoo's grandfather had an irreplacable smile on his face when they went out. 

Myungsoo stopped by a mini grocery mart and told Suzy to do her grocery shopping with him. It was already turning late and Myungsoo was glad that he had spent a nice evening with Suzy although his grandfather was a bit assuming, he was glad that it didn't feel awkward and they were having normal conversations like they normally do. Strange but he was glad it turned out that way. 

As Suzy looked for the items that she needed, Myungsoo pushed the cart for her. When they passed by a pair of young college undergrads doing their shopping too, they both heard that one told the other that they looked nice together. Though a bit awkward, they both managed to let it go. 

"I'm sorry about grandpa and his-you know. Getting ahead of us, assuming....", Myungsoo said he wasn't done yet when Suzy replied. 

"It's ok, there's no problem with that, just know were are mistaken as I couple, I understand that with our closeness we'd often be mistaken as a couple."

They both kept silent until they finished shopping and back to the car. The mart wasn't far from Suzy's house. Myungsoo helped Suzy with her groceries and carried the paper bags for her. Her aunt opened the door for them and she smiled cheerfully at Myungsoo as he helped her carry the bags for her inside. Suzy went with Myungsoo to his car. While walking on the garden, there was one more thing that was left, that has to be said that Myungsoo kept inside all the while. 

Since his confession to her didn't damage their friendship, there is always one thing that Myungsoo wanted. 

"Suzy, can't we be more than this?", he asked. He wasn't waiting for an answer and he turned around to get inside the car. But even before he can reach out to the door, Suzy replied. 

"I don't know. Who knows? Maybe? Can we? Can't we?"