MARCO

UNEXPECTED

FLASHBACK

Two weeks ago.

Myungsoo saw Nancy and Suzy having a chat outside the quarters. Both of them were standing near the door and Myungsoo went over them. 

"Nancy, can I borrow Suzy for a while.", Myungsoo grabbed Suzy by the arm and she followed him cluelessly on what he will do next. 

The two of them hastily walked along the corridor, Myungsoo leading the way, Suzy following him. 

"Myungsoo, where are we going?"

"I'll explain when we get there."

It was already 11 pm, there were a few people who knew Suzy and Myungsoo who met them along the way. Suzy looked at them and noticed that everyone had a peculiar expression on their faces. Do they look like they were fighting, or if Myungsoo's forcing her to do something. They don't know for sure, even Suzy doesn't know why on earth is Myungsoo dragging her to the oncology ward. 

They stopped infront of a room. Myungsoo took a peek inside and faced Suzy. Suzy just blinked her eyes in bewiderment.

"Come.",Myungsoo gently pushed Suzy towards the door. Both of them stooped and took a peek inside. 

There was a boy sleeping on the hospital bed. He looked normal aside from his bald head. But to medical practioners like them it only meant that the boy has cancer. 

"You see, it's his second month here and he had just had his 24th chemotheraphy session yesterday. Both of his parents are at work doing whatever to see their son live.", Myungsoo said. 

Suzy's heart ached, what she really didn't like within  the line of her job is to see innocent children sick. 

"This kid's just seven, having non-Hodgkin's lymphoma that early, too bad don't you think?", Myungsoo added. 

"His parents moved him here hoping to see their child live and breaking their backs for his expenses. The nurses here call him Marco. He can't speak a word in English that is why he often throws tantrums when he is not understood. I brought you here to ask you if you'd be interested in helping me with this child. The director asked me this personal favor. I just thought that with more faces to talk to he'd be more happy with it.", Myungsoo continued. 

"Sure Myungsoo, there is no problem with me.", Suzy said. 

Myungsoo and Suzy quietly entered the room. Suzy sat near the bedside, Myungsoo checked Marcos stats. Slowly Marco woke up. 

"Hey Marco, it's me Myungsoo, rember me?", Myungsoo spoke in korean. He waved at Marco who is half awake. Marco slowly sat himself up. He looked elighted when he saw Myungsoo. 

Suzy almost stood up to help Marco sit, but Myungsoo tapped her shoulder, she knew what it meant. That not to show Marco that he is weak. 

"Last time I told you I am going to bring someone special?", he asked. Suzy never saw this side of Myungsoo, that is good with kids, gentle and concerned with children. 

"Is she your girfriend?", Marco pointed at Suzy. 

"Me? No. No.", Suzy shook her head profusly. 

"Not yet, Marco.Well, she's Suzy. I told you already how I met her. She is kind too.", Myungsoo said. 

"Myungsoo-hyung told me that you are pretty too.", Marco said smiling and exposing that two of his front teeth were still missing. The innocence killed the awkward situation. 

Suzy smiled  and let out a small laugh. She them remembered that she had bought  pepermint lollipops on her way to the hospital that morning after seeing that the red and white swirls were cute and are nice displays on her room. 

She stood up and took out the lollipops and gave them to Marco. 

"Have you brushed your teeth? I'll put these here on top,Ok? Noona will visit you tomorrow and then we'll share ok?", Suzy smiled and winked. 

Marco and Suzy talked for a while then Myungsoo came inside and gave Marco's meds. Soon the little boy fell asleep and Suzy and Myungsoo went back to the quarters. 

Everyday Suzy and Myungsoo would visit Marco but unfortunately, Myungsoo has been reassigned to take the night shift along with other interns from the day shift. The two of them had oppossing schedules and therefore can't visit Marco together. 

Suzy would always bring icecream and read manga with Marco in the spare time she had in the afternoon while Myungsoo would bring his wii and play with Marco in the evening until it is time for Marco to be sedated to sleep. Sleeping itself if painful for cancer patients like Marco so he has to take medicines. During Marco's chemotheraphy sessions Suzy and Myungsoo would take a look. Slowly, Marco who was pale and almost lifeless suddenly became happy and energetic. Both his parents suddenly had hope. 

One afternoon while Suzy and Marco were watching cartoons. Marco told Suzy that. 

"Myungsoo-hyung really really likes you. He goes, Suzy. Suzy. Suzy. Suzy. Suzy all the time."

"Aiii, kiddo.", Suzy gently hit Marco's forehead and replied. 

"I he really does, he have already told me before. Next time he goes Suzy, Suzy, Suzy, tell him that he still isn't over with Allena."

Marco just blinked and smiled. The two of them watched cartoons until Marco fell asleep.