drunk

UNEXPECTED

"What do you think Ms. Bae? Should the proper dosage be at 10 cc?", the tall blue-eyed red-haired surgeon who was supervising Suzy during her regular rounds asked her. 

"Yes sir, his medication should be induced 2cc each hour for five hours intravenously for lasting pain relief.", Suzy answered with confidence.  The surgeon then faced Myungsoo who was also with them observing the rounds.

"And how about you Mr. Kim? Any thoughts?", he asked. 

"Sir, 10cc of the said analgesic if given in one dose will lead to extreme drowsiness but if the patient prioritizes to manage the pain, I think there would be no reason to give the medication with in five hours and perhaps get the same result.", Myungsoo answered in a contradicting tone. 

"Should the patient feel extreemly drowsy and later on fall asleep, what would be the probable effect on the patient himself, Ms. Bae?", the doctor added, seemingly trying to test both Suzy and Myungsoo on their skills. 

"There wouldn't be any physiological effect on the patient himself, but if the medication manages to put him asleep, there is when medication neglect comes in, according to his record the patient has to receive medication every 2 hours on different treatments, therefore if he is asleep how can he take his meds on time. Drowsiness caused by medication is definately hard to fight off. ", Suzy answered still unsure whether she said the right things. 

"I like your wit and reasoning Ms. Bae, but in this case, it is up to the patient to decide. You see Ms. Bae in cases like this patient who is in extreme pain, to relieve their pain is our priority in diagnosis. Ok? So, to relieve thier pain in one go, or to wait for hours and get the same effect? It is up to the patient to decide."

Suzy didn't feel inferior or whatsoever but she can't help herself not to feel ashamed, not because she might have given a wrong diagnosis, but because it happened infront of Myungsoo. It had been weeks since their first encounter and each time they meet in the hospital their awkwardness grew worst. 

That evening....

Suzy had befriended most of her coleagues and became close to them within a short period of time. The whole gang was about to go down town after their shift at a local bar to relax and to celebrate Suzy's induction to the gang. Suzy changed and was already putting her coat on when Myungsoo went inside the quarters. Their eyes met at first and as usual, Myungsoo smiled and Suzy looked away, but Myungsoo's smile didn't fade easily. He was still in his uniform that is why suzy thought that he may not be going with them to the bar. This time it was Suzy who decided to break the ice. 

"You're not coming with us?", she asked while fixing her things inside her bag. 

"My shift got extended tonight, too bad. But I'll try to catch up if ever.", Myungsoo said with a sublte giggle in the end. 

And that's it, cold dead silence afterwards. Myungsoo hurriedly went out of the quarters bringing with him his kit while Suzy was left alone the room. 

Needless to say, this battle of pride had now been dragged into a different level.

Suzy admits that this time she might have stepped across the line, but to see the situation in a bigger pitcture, this was Myungsoo's fault. 

Should Suzy keep on preserving her pirde or should she be the one to step down and settle the situation. 

But to her, she had been hurt by Myungsoo, thinking that because he didn't tell Suzy about him transferring and ignoring all her efforts to communicate with him something might have happened enough for him to disregard Suzy. This was not the first time that it had happened, but Suzy always tried to understan him. But when she really needed Myungsoo the most, that is when the time he turned his back on her- according to Suzy's perception that is why she's deeply hurt this time. 

Her most cherished friendship, in the brink of fading away. 

Isn't this child's play. Suzy and Myungsoo are both adults by now, some are even married at their age. Things like this only happen on teenage novels so it's either her or Myungsoo's the one who needs to grow up.

In the local bar that night, everybody was having a good time. Unwiding and relaxing, enjoying the atmosphere. Everyone seemed to be in high spirits, drinking beer, chatting, laughing, playing jokes on each other. Suzy enjoyed the company of her new circle of friends.

"Hey Suzy, you and Myung now each other right?", Tracy, the leader of the pack as they call them, asked. 

"Yeah.", Suzy answered and took one sip from her ice cold mug of beer. 

"Way back when?", Allen asked. The jock who played football in college but eneded up in medschool. 

"High school.", Suzy said. 

"Really, are you two close? I remembered Myungsoo one night while sleeping in the quarters mention your name while he was dreaming.", Chen, Myungsoo's closest friend said, teasing her and everyone started to after that. 

"Yeah, kinda close, but did that really happened?", Suzy asked. 

"Did the two of you date before?"

"-No."

"Then, in a relationship?"

"-No."

"High school sweethearts? awwww....."

"-No."

"We're just friends. Nothing more nothing less, guys come on. We don't even talk that much now.........", Suzy added but was cut-off by Tracy.

"Our two love birds are in a fight. Aw, that is why Myungie seems to be a little love sick. How shalwe proceed with our diagnosis Dr. Bae?"

"Stop it guys, and what's with 'Myungie'?", Suzy said. It made her laugh hard untill her face turned red. The rest of the gang laughed themselves out. They enjoyed the night. 

Suzy had one or few drinks too many that night, a little less tipsy than the others, Suzy woke up when she heard someone calling her. 

"Suzy. Suzy wake up? Suzy...."

Suzy opened her eyes, and saw someone sitting next to her. At first everything was blurry and her head throbbed really bad but as soon as she got her senses back...

"Myungie....?", Suzy said, blinked one or twice and looked at Myungsoo like an adorable puppy. 

"Well, if it isn't Ms. Suzy's who's a little drunk.", Myungsoo said and smiled. 

"Tracy and the rest went home, they 'forgot', you were with them and went home... they called to ask me to check if you're ok... If you want I'll drive you home.", Myungsoo added. 

"No need Myungie.... I can manage. Thanks anyway.", Suzy said doing whatever it takes to bring back her composure. 

"You're clearly drunk. It's Myungsoo. Myungsoo. Not Myungie.", Myungsoo said. 

He helped Suzy to get up and go out of the bar. It is the first time in years sine he had last held Suzy. Suzy wasn't too drunk, but found difficulty in walking straight. Myungsoo shook his head as he watched Suzy helplessly dragging herself out of the bar. Myungsoo found it funny and amused but later on went to help Suzy. 

"I can go home by myself Myungsoo. No need to take me home...", Suzy said as he assisted her to get inside the car. 

Myungsoo went around and sat on the driver's seat but when he turned around he found Suzy sleeping. He tried to wake her up but she wouldn't. Myungsoo didn't have a choice...

The following morning, the strong sunlight coming from the large panel windows of the apartment woke Suzy up. When she opened her eyes, she didn't knew at first but when she sat up and took a look around, she definately knew that she slept on someone else's bed.

Suzy panicked, went around the room to gather her things and hurried downstairs. 

When got down, she went inside the kitchen to look around she found no one. But then heard Myungsoo's voice coming from the fridge. She walked towards him and found him bending over the fridge's racks looking for something to eat. 

"You fell asleep last night and probably didn't remember anything. Don't worry I slept on the couch.", Myungsoo spoke to her in Korean, his was still good even if he had been there for so long. It has been a while since Suzy used her Korean. 

"Really? I thought, that is really...", Suzy was too tongue-tied embarassed she reallt felt like hitting herself in the head for such foolishness.

"I tried to call contancts from your phone but nobody answered, I have no choice...", Myungsoo said while pouring milk. Her aunt is on a conference in a different state and will be staying there for two weeks. 

"Coffee?", he added. 

"I have to go. I'm sorry for last night.", Suzy said and bowed. 

"Breakfast? I don't mind, it is better to stay here than out there with the thugs.. Please Suzy?", Myungsoo said.

"But,-", Suzy was cut off when Myungsoo took her arm and sat her down on the chair in one swift motion. In the end Suzy had to give up. 

This time, Suzy looked at Myungsoo more closely. Indeed he hasn't changed a bit. She just stared at him for some time. but when Myungsoo noticed, she looked away. Myungsoo sat beside her as he drank his milk and she had her coffee. She looked at her coffee before sipping it. When she looked at Myungsoo, he was already looking at her.  Their eye-contact lingered for a moment but it was Suzy who wavered first. 

"What?", Suzy said in frustration. 

"I'm sorry I took you for granted.", Myungsoo said. 

Suzy just sighed and looked away. 

"I know.", Suzy replied. 

When Suzy had finished her coffee and grapefruit. She went back home.