Coin

Once Was Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Minhyun did after he woke up was grab his phone to check if there were any messages from Baekho yet. No? He got out of bed and rushed down the hallway to find his mother who would either be in the kitchen or her room or maybe not even at home. She was in her room, passed out on the bed. Minhyun felt bad for disturbing her sleep once he realised she was still in her working attire. Ever since his father had passed away, his mother took up more shifts at work just to distract herself even though they had plenty of money saved up. Minhyun would try to convince her that she didn't have to work that hard but she had told him this was the only way she wouldn't feel so sad and he couldn't do anything else about it. He reconsidered waking her up and ended up heading back to his room. He sat on the edge of his bed and waited for Baekho to come online or maybe he should send the morning text first. He wasn't sure. He was barely ever this indecisive but he guessed it was because it was Baekho. That's why he was like this. He smiled, reading their short conversation from yesterday. It wasn't a dream. Definitely not. 

 

In the end, he decided to get ready for the day first. He brushed his teeth, took a shower, cleaned up his room and sat on the bed again. Baekho still wasn't online yet so he decided to walk around the house to see what house chores he could do. The clothes were still washing so he started folding the previous day's laundry. He hummed to himself while smoothing out the creases on the shirt.

 

Ping!

 

'Min, you there?'

 

Minhyun beamed at his phone as he read the message, quickly replying him. 'Yes, I'm here. Morning, sleepyhead.'

 

'Ahhh! It's only 10am. It's not that late >3< morning. '

 

Minhyun giggled but he stopped when his mother walked out to the living room groggily. He smiled to her and she smiled back when she noticed her son. "Morning, mum. Late night?"

 

"Always... There were 3 ladies who went into labor one after another. It was hectic," she said while yawning and heading into the kitchen to take milk out from the fridge. "Want a cup?" 

 

"Sure. I'll make breakfast for us," Minhyun replied as he got up from the floor. 

 

"Thanks, dear. That'll be great," she said while pouring two glasses out for them. Minhyun started putting together a simple breakfast of toast and eggs with sausage as a side. 

 

"And did all 6 of them make it?" 

 

"Yes but one of them birthed twins so that's 7 in total." 

 

"Wow... Wish I could go and see them," Minhyun said softly with a gentle smile as he thought about newborns. 

 

"You could. I have some free time tomorrow. You could drop by after school and take a look at them." 

 

"Really? That'll be nice. Is it alright if I bring someone else along?" Minhyun asked as he put the plates down onto the table. 

 

"Sure. As long as they follow protocol," she replied and paused. "Wait. Who is this new person?" 

 

Minhyun froze. He wasn't expecting her to ask him that but then again, he had never asked to bring someone along before. He gulped and thought about it. "Mum... Actually." He sat down and breathed in. "I uh... Got a partner. Just yesterday we made it official." 

 

"Oh. Oh..." Her eyes turned from surprised to soft. "My baby is all grown up, huh... Sorry I've been so absent from your life lately." 

 

"It's alright, mum. I understand. Dad's passing affected you more than me," he said. "If it's okay, I'll like to introduce my partner to you tomorrow." 

 

"Of course it's okay, sweetie. As long as your partner is fine with it too. Wouldn't want to make him awkward with the whole family meeting thing, right? Especially since we will be at a hospital."

 

¬¬¬

 

The doorbell rang and Baekho hopped up from the couch immediately. He opened the door and beamed when he saw Minhyun standing in front of it.

 

"Come on in," Baekho said and Minhyun smiled back, entering the apartment that he had visited way more times as Min than Minhyun. They made their way to Baekho's bedroom as usual and Minhyun noticed Baekho's tidied bed. He was glad the other really did change at least one habit although his pile of clothes were still unchanging in the corner. "So, do you want to play some games or watch movies or something?"

 

"Actually, there's something I need to ask you first,"Minhyun said while taking a seat on the bed. Baekho started looking through his drawer for something they could do together.

 

"Yeah? Ask away," Baekho replied with his back still facing Minhyun. Minhyun pouted and slid off the bed over to Baekho. He touched Baekho'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter