Seconds

Once Was Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekho sat on his bed, tapping away on his phone as he replied Minhyun's messages. It was a little past 10 and both refused to put their phone away.

 

'No. You sleep first. Then I will.'

 

'We have been going through this every night, Baekho. I know you won't sleep if you don't leave first.'

 

'And what makes you say that?! Did you install a spy cam in my house?'

 

'That's an idea I can work with. But no, I just have a feeling.'

 

Baekho chuckled and shook his head. 'Don't you dare do that or I'm installing one in your bathroom.'

 

'Oh? And what do you expect to see with that?'

 

Baekho thought about his reply but couldn't really think of something funny to say. 'I don't know? Your ?'

 

'You're interested in seeing my ?'

 

'Absolutely' Before Baekho could type not, the sound of the door opening startled him and he had clicked send. He wondered if one of his parents came home. He put his phone down and reached for the wheelchair. He shifted over to it and wheeled himself to his room door, opening it and peeking out. He could see a silhouette moving around in the living room. It took him awhile but he could tell it was his mother who was home this time.

 

"Mum, that you?" he decided to call out since he hadn't seen or heard from her for months.

 

"Oh. You're still awake, honey?" she said and Baekho almost thought he had forgotten how she sound like. 

 

"Yeah. It's only a little past 10 and I'm still talking to someone."

 

"I see."

 

Baekho pursed his lips, wondering if he should go out with the wheelchair. He didn't want to worry his parents but he also didn't want to disappoint himself just in case they didn't even worry about him. "Hey, mum?"

 

"Yes, honey?"

 

"Will you be attending my graduation ceremony?"

 

"Is that this year?"

 

"Yeah..." 

 

"I'll check my schedule. When is it?" 

 

"Ah.. I don't know the actual date yet but its definitely this year end." 

 

"Alright." 

 

Speak. Say something. Baekho rubbed his lips nervously. What else could he say? "When are we going to hang out as a whole family again?" 

 

"Oh, Baekho. You know how busy we both are. I'm really sorry if you've been feeling lonely. We are really trying to get things done and then we will be able to spend some time with you, okay?" 

 

It was always the same reply. Baekho didn't even know why he bothered asking. "Okay... Mum, there's someone I want you to meet."

 

"Yes? When exactly would you like me to meet them?"

 

"Um... Whenever you're free." 

 

"I will see if I can do something about that. Why don't you head on to bed? You have school tomorrow, right?" 

 

"Yeah, I think I will. Goodnight, mum." 

 

"Night, honey. Sleep well." Baekho closed his room door and sighed. He really wished his parents were just maybe a little more interested in his life too. He knew they were busy but they were ALWAYS busy and they always gave him the excuse that they would try their best to clear up their schedule to spend time with him but it never happens and now he was already 17. He was going to finish school and yet he wasn't even sure if they would be there for his graduation. He rolled himself back to bed and climbed in. He checked for a reply and also choked on his saliva when he saw something that seemed like cheeks. He looked at his previous message and felt utterly embarrassed. 

 

'Did you seriously take a picture of your ?!' Baekho sent the message and then added. 'I was going to say absolutely not! But my mum came back and well I got distracted. Sorry.'

 

'Oh. It's fine. And no, that's not my but it sure looks like it, doesn't it? There's this neat trick where you squish your elbows and it looks like a when you take a close up so that's my arm you're looking at.' 

 

'What on earth... You're either too free or you learn weird things.' 

 

'That aside, are you alright?' 

 

'Why wouldn't I be?' 

 

'Cause your mum is home. You should try talking to her. Maybe tell her about what's going on in your life.' 

 

'Minhyun... She doesn't know if she can even make it for my graduation and I don't want her to worry about my knee.' 

 

'You don't want her to worry or are you scared she won't be worried?' 

 

Busted. Baekho chewed his lip and sighed. There was no hiding from Minhyun. 'The latter.' 

 

'Just know that I'll be here for you. I worry.' 

 

'Thanks. I'm gonna

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter