Shoelaces

Once Was Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyun placed his hands on Baekho's waist, silently admiring how slim yet firm he was. He was still wary of his surroundings now but he didn't want to let that ruin their date. After they returned the skates, Baekho held Minhyun's hand tightly and led him away from the park. They were walking rather aimlessly until Minhyun started pulling him in the direction of the dessert shop. Baekho just followed, eager to get as far away from the park as he could. When he told the other to deal with it, he didn't mean to actually inflict any pain onto Minhyun. Just talking it out would have probably suffice but the more Baekho thought about it, the more he guessed he really didn't know much about Minhyun. 

 

After they found a place to sit and order their desserts, Baekho wondered if he should ask about this Yoon person. He glanced up at Minhyun who was gazing outside. The orange hue of the dimming sky gently lit the edges of his face. It finally sparked in Baekho's mind why he had always been so nervous about looking Minhyun in the eyes as Minhyun turned to look at him. A small smile gracing his features. He was hooked onto the male for far longer than he had realised as he finally stared into Minhyun's eyes that gleamed a little with the evening light. His eyes made Baekho feel things he knew would probably be considered natural attraction for a person to have towards someone they liked. They were the kind of eyes he wished to stare into forever and let himself drown at the sight of them. 

 

"Baekho?" Minhyun spoke, temporarily snapping Baekho out from his trance as he looked down again. "You were staring at me. Is there something you want to say?" 

 

"Hmm? Well... You already know I know nothing about that guy earlier so... It would be nice to know something. Anything that could prepare me for whatever that would happen if that guy got me involved in your problem." Baekho wasn't sure if Minhyun would tell him as he rubbed his hands awkwardly together. 

 

"Oh." 

 

"I know you probably don't want to say it but... I think it's only fair if you tell me a little more about yourself. I did technically get ambushed by a bunch of guys who literally just wanted to fight you. You owe me that much," Baekho said. Minhyun nodded. 

 

"I suppose I do... But is it okay if we talked about that later? I want to at least enjoy this date a little more. I promise I'll tell you whatever you wish to know about me," Minhyun replied and Baekho nodded. He wanted to enjoy the date too since they were having more fun that he expected. Minhyun wasn't as boring as he originally thought he would be, being the student president and all. He was spontaneous and knew how to carry a conversation with Baekho, making him feel constantly involved and cared for. 

 

"Alright. Its a promise," Baekho said and thanked the waiter for their desserts and drinks. "Thanks for paying for lunch and the skates too. I'll get the bill for this one so it won't be so heavy on your wallet." 

 

Minhyun had paid for both lunch and their shoe rental earlier which frankly he didn't mind. "Don't worry about it. I wanted to." 

 

"Yeah but I feel bad. You even got me a new pair of shoes and bandaid...wait... Was the necktie you as well?" 

 

Minhyun chuckled and nodded. "Took you long enough to notice." 

 

"Oh gosh. No wonder you were being so casual about it," Baekho said with a small frown as he sipped his milkshake. Minhyun shrugged and sipped his grapefruit juice, scrunching his nose a little at the slight bitter taste. 

 

"Pardon my question but don't you live in a rather rich area?" 

 

"Hmm? Yeah I do," Baekho replied, unsure what Minhyun was trying to say. 

 

"Then why didn't you get a new necktie or shoes? You can afford them, right?" Minhyun asked, trying to sound as polite as he could. 

 

"Well, my reason for not getting new stuff is kind of stupid. I can afford it... I just..." Minhyun waited for Baekho to continue. "I just want my parents to notice me... A little." 

 

"How is that a stupid reason?" Minhyun asked while tilting his head. Baekho looked up at Minhyun with a forlorn expression. 

 

"It's not?" 

 

"Well, you've been lonely all this while. It's normal to want the people around you to notice you, isn't it? It's like how I did all those just to get you to notice me too. Whether I was Min or Minhyun." 

 

Baekho bit his lower lip and nodded. "Mmm... You won't mind me talking about my family, right?" 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter