Family

Once Was Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her arms were crossed and her face had a sour expression as she stared at the two flustered teenagers who stood before her with guilty looks.

 

"Care to tell me what you were both doing inside with the door locked?" she asked and they flinched. Minhyun kept his gaze lowered while Baekho picked at his fingers nervously. "Minhyun? Baekho?"

 

"Um..." The two felt obviously embarrassed for having been caught halfway and now their hands were protectively trying to hide their groins.

 

"I-it was me! I-I... I wanted to d-do something," Baekho squeaked out first. Minhyun gasped and shook his head.

 

"No! It was me. I was the one who initiated it," Minhyun said, not wanting Baekho to take the blame. They both stared at Ms. Hwang who just stared back at them. It took a couple more seconds before the older lady burst into laughter, leaving the younger two confused.

 

"Oh dear. I'm not angry at the both of you," she said while still giggling at how they had reacted as though they had done something wrong.

 

"You're not?" Baekho let the question slip and she laughed even louder, shaking her head.

 

"Why would I be? I already told you two that I expected teenage boys to be more active. I'm sorry for having disturbed you since you both look like cherries now."

 

They were relieved to hear that, of course.

 

"Well, at least it wasn't anything bad. Anyways, why don't you both go wash up and help me prepare dinner?"

 

"Hmm? You're eating here tonight?" Minhyun directed the question to Baekho who smiled and nodded. "And you didn't tell me again?"

 

"Your mum wanted it to be a surprise so I didn't tell you. Don't be mad?"

 

"I'm not mad." Minhyun was about to lean in and kiss Baekho on the cheek to show him that he meant it but froze when he realised his mother was still staring at them. He let out a nervous cough.

 

"Oh. Silly me," she said while hiding her giggles and walked away. "You two are awfully cute together."

 

Her words left her son and his boyfriend flustered again. 

 

When Minhyun's mother said they were going to have a feast, Baekho wasn't expecting a literal feast. They definitely cooked way more than both boys alone would be able to finish up but Baekho had fun helping out so Minhyun didn't have the heart to tell his mother to cut down on the food. 

 

"Aunty, would you be attending our graduation?" Baekho asked as he slid in the chopped onion into the pan as the older lady stir fried it. 

 

"Of course. I wouldn't miss my son's graduation for anything else in the world," she replied him with a smile. Baekho returned the smile and nodded. "What about your parents? Will they be there?" 

 

Baekho stiffened. He hadn't heard anything from his mother ever since that day so he didn't know if she would be able to make it. Ms. Hwang caught the sight of Baekho's face and realised she probably shouldn't have asked that. 

 

"I'll be there for you as well," she said instead and Baekho's eyes lit up again. 

 

"Thank you, aunty." 

 

"You should probably call me mum. Aunty makes me sound so old," she said jokingly and Baekho laughed shyly. Minhyun wondered what the both of them were joking about but didn't ask since he was busy cooking something else. 

 

The table was filled with food and they started to eat after saying thanks for the food. 

 

"Eat up, eat up," Ms. Hwang said while taking food for the two boys. 

 

"Ahhh. Thank you. I can do it myself," Baekho said and she smiled. 

 

"Let me spoil you a little, okay?" she asked and Baekho smiled sheepishly, nodding. Minhyun thanked his mother and looked up at his boyfriend. 

 

"Are you alright?" he asked Baekho who jumped from the sudden question. 

 

"Yeah, I am. Why wouldn't I be?" Baekho asked but there were already tears staining his cheeks. "Oh shoot." Baekho wiped his eyes and chuckled nervously. "I'm sorry for always crying in front of you, aunty." 

 

"It's okay. Let it out," she said and handed him tissue. Minhyun was surprised to hear that but he also moved over to Baekho's side, pulling him into a hug. Baekho sniffled and beamed. 

 

"I'm fine, Minhyun," Baekho said reassuringly and Minhyun nodded. 

 

"You sure?" 

 

"Y-yeah. I'm just really happy." 

 

"Okay." Minhyun wiped the remains of his tears and went back to his seat. They continued eating once Baekho had collected himself. Baekho wasn't lying when he said he was happy. He couldn't stop smiling and his heart felt like happiness was just bubbling so much that it was making him cry although he tried to hold back this time so he can actually eat. He never realised hanging out with a family would bring him this much joy. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter