Mother

Once Was Before
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh, you're home," his mother said in a casual tone. Baekho's brows moved upwards in a slightly discontented motion.

"Yes... Yes I am," He said softly. How long have they been home? Baekho didn't know for sure. He had been staying overnight at the hospital and also Minhyun's place recently. Did they not bother to check on him? He did lose his phone too so he guessed he wouldn't know.

"Are you just going to stand there?" Mr. Kang asked, seeing how Baekho had totally went stiff. Baekho gasped softly. He shook his head and hurried to his room, shutting the door behind him. He wanted to talk to them, tell them things and hear what they have been up to too but he couldn't bring himself to do so. What if they decided that the school and environment here was too horrible and they would shift again? Then he would be away from Minhyun. But not telling them made him feel like he was keeping secrets from them. He decided to exit the room again after putting his bag down.

"Mum, dad?"

"Yes, honey?" his mother responded.

"Uh... I uh... Lost my phone recently."

"Oh. Is that so? You can just get a new one, right?"

Baekho pursed his lips and nodded. "Yeah... I could."

"Okay then."

"Also I placed fifth in my mid terms exam."

"That's wonderful to hear. Keep it up," she said with a smile. Baekho nodded. Somehow he didn't feel at peace even after saying those out. Maybe it was the lack of enthusiasm in his mother's responses or maybe he was just too tired.

"Uh..." Think. Think of something to say. "Will you guys be around for my birthday?"

That got both his parents' attention.

"When is it again?" his father asked and Baekho felt disappointment squeeze his chest.

"It's... Next week. 21st," He replied in a sullen tone.

"Ah... I'm sorry. I can't," his father replied. "But I'll make it up to you another day, okay?"

Baekho just nodded, trying not to show his disappointment despite his expression finding it really hard.

"Honey, I won't be around the entirety of the week too. I'm sorry. Would you like cake or something? I could get you a new phone as a birthday gift too," his mother said and Baekho gulped. He shook his head and clenched his fists.

"Its okay, mum. Just... Focus on your work. Sorry to bother you two," He said and went back into his room, feeling upset. Why did he even bother? He took his pillow and smashed his face right into it as he laid down. He wanted to yell but he was too drained to do that. He just laid there until he passed out from exhaustion. Both mentally and physically.

¬¬¬

The exhausted teen felt even more exhausted when he had to be at the teacher's room first thing in the morning with his boyfriend. Again. Even Minhyun's mother was there this time. He was zoning out when the discipline teacher talked, still trying to get over his disappointment that had followed him from the night before like some ghost haunting him.

"-shouldn't hang out together-injured- for his own good-"

Minhyun had noticed how dispirited Baekho looked since morning but even though he asked, Baekho had told him that it was fine and there was nothing to worry about. He knew that was a lie since Baekho didn't look him in the eye and his gaze was facing south the entire day. Something happened. He knew it but couldn't understand why Baekho was keeping it from him. He also couldn't understand why the discipline teacher was making a scene with his mother either. He thought Baekho's results would clearly show that Baekho was a capable student and yet the teacher was still trying to convince his mother, this time, that Baekho was a bad influence and Minhyun should stay away from him, blaming his wheelchair situation on Baekho despite not knowing the full story behind it. He could see his mother gradually boiling and knew she was about explode at any moment now.

"ENOUGH!"

There it is.

"You think Kang Dongho is a bad student? Let me tell you this. You are a sickening teacher. I can't believe you called me from my job just to spout all this nonsense in my face. Do you have any clue what happened to my son and Dongho? No, you don't! My son almost died and if it wasn't for Dongho, I would have lost him. Don't just go babbling your tongue off as if that will save the school reputation miraculously if the two of them stayed away from one another! The one destroying it is you and not them."

Baekho was surprised to hear Ms. Hwang raise her voice and also in his defense. He blinked and stared at the scene unfolding before him.

"Dongho is a brilliant student. He even got fifth place this mid term and my son has kept his first pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter