A Day in a Grand Duke's Life

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SPECIAL CHAPTER #1:

A DAY IN A GRAND DUKE'S LIFE: AS TOLD BY THE EVER SO HANDSOME NIGHT LORD

You guys must have already know it by now that being a Grand Duke is not actually feels like being in cloud nine. Actually, it is the exact opposite of that.

Just like my daily routine, I have to pry myself away from the bed before the sun completely risen but before I completely do, I stare at the sleeping figure beside me and a smile quickly tugged into my lips. Her chest rise and fall evenly, an indication that she's still in a deep sleep, even despite of that, she still looks lovely and breathtaking  in every way. 

Standing up, I gave my body a bit of stretching, then proceeded to the bath room to prepare myself for the rest of the day in the court. 

To be honest, there are plenty of times that I prefer to be tucked on the bed and cuddle my beautiful wife throughout the day but my people needs me. I mean, come on, I am a living being and I do feel lazy at times, but being a Grand Duke would not let me do it. As one, I have tons of responsibilities to attend to, works and proposals that I need to work on, and there are also matters that requires my physical presence such as strolling the Court of Wishes and the rest of the Night Realm in order to ensure that everything is fine. 

A long yawn escaped from my mouth as sleepily closed the buttons of my midnight mandarin suit. After that, I quickly went to my sleeping wife and gave her a soft kiss on her forehead before leaving our room.

Since we are having the townhouse for our own, our house is still as silent as the night despite of the sun already creeping slowly up in the morning sky. 

Before I leave for the court, I lightly turned the knob of the door of the room and found our son still fast asleep in the most ridiculous position. His chubby cheek lie comfortably against the pillow and his was raised high. 

A soft chuckle escaped from my lips as I went inside to fix the young Rhys into a much more comfortable position. 

As I laid him down, my son sighed and his lips tugged into a smile. The kid must have been dreaming, and I can't prevent myself smiling. 

I planted a kiss on his forehead as well like what I did with his mother and muttered, "Rhys, don't grow up fast. Papa loves you so much."

Thinking that I am now done with my morning routine, I finally squared my shoulder and prepare to leave the house for my job ahead.

Even though that the sun hasn't fully risen yet, the whole city is already bustling with life. Cold morning breeze swept my dark locks as I walk unhurriedly on the pavement. Along the way, most of the city's early risers greeted me and I returned it to them with a smile. Some even walk to me and gave me a friendly hand shake.

"Good morning, Lord Taemin!" An old female called and happily joined me with my morning walk. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Pines. Aren't you too early? Your shop opens later in the day, wasn't it?" I cheerfully chatted with her as we took the way to the Tower Hall where the council meeting is to be held today. 

"I woke up extra early today so I could give you a small gift for helping me last night." Mrs. Pines said and my eyes lit up in surprise as she offered me a cup sealed carefully and pieces of biscuits placed in a jar. "I had troubles closing the shop and if it wasn't for you, I might have taken long minutes doing it. Thank you so much for helping me, our sweet Lord Taemin. I hope you'll like it."

A smile crept into my lips and politely accepted her token. I sniffed at the cup and my smile grew as a hint of bergamot struck my nostrils, it is an earl grey tea, my favorite! 

​​​​​​"It's earl grey, of course, I love it! Thank you so much, Mrs. Pines. I hope you have a great day ahead." After hearing that, the faerie offered her thanks once again before bidding goodbye. 

A few moments later, I finally arrived at the Tower Hall and found it already occupied by my council members, each greeting me 'good morning' as I settled on a chair. As I did, I open up the lid of the cup and enjoyed the tea and opted to keep the biscuit as I decided to take it home for my little cub. He will be delighted to have it as snack. 

After taking a few sips at my tea, I cleared my throat and got the attention of the council. With a slightly serious voice I asked for my General Commander for today's report. 

"Sehun, what's the latest update?" I inquired as I gave him my full attention. 

"Everything's fine here in the Court of Wishes.  No reports of problem has been filed for the last six months. But yesterday, we welcomed two new comers who came from the Vernal and the Summer Realm respectively." My General Commander reported clearly which earned a soft sigh from me.

As I have already expected, the city rarely get any reports of nuisance. The Court of Wishes indeed excellent in keeping peace throughout the place. If I were to receive any bad news, it most likely be coming from the outside. Most specifically the Court of Terrors and the Court of Frisk. Those two courts has always been the source of my headache.

"What about the Court of Terrors and the Court of Frisk?" I asked. 

"Still the same, I'm afraid. Since Lord Baekhyun has died, the Night Dwellers became much more savage. They no longer refrain themselves from going out. As day goes by, each of them were going restless and some even left the mountain city to cause troubles in and out of the Night Realm." It was my counselor, Hayoung, who answered on Sehun's behalf. 

​​​​​​"That's right." It was my spy, Bomi, who turned to speak. "Just last night, I was forced to take down three Night Dwellers as I saw them harassing faeries from the borders of the Fire Realm. They're getting out of hand."

"If I may, I do suggest that you visit the Court of Terrors today, Taemin. No one's in there to have them subdued. You are the only one who can make them stop from ravaging." Again, my counselor insisted which I quickly agreed. 

"Yes, after this council meeting, I'll go right away. I might also consider putting up a new court head there and I couldn't think of a better candidate than you, Sehun." I smiled at the surprised male as I told my plan.

"Why me?" Sehun asked. 

"Oh, come on! You're skill enough and you know how courts operate. You don't need to be there all the time. Also, you are the only capable once of instilling terror on those savage creatures." I impatiently drummed my fingers on the table as I waited for my commander to response.

To my relief, after a few seconds of thinking, Sehun finally nodded his head and I couldn't help grinning. At least, I got someone to share my burden on the matter involving the Night Dwellers because seriously, those savages were a big pain in my . 

"As for the Court of Frisk, the reports said that no new issues has been sighted since a month ago." Bomi's brow knitted as she reviewed her notes. "Wow, that's quite odd. Faeries there are always up for trouble."

Suddenly, a memory flashed back into my mind which made me chuckle in delight. Just a month ago, Naeun and I visited the court together, and I am betting that the reason why no reports of nuisance has been filed from the court is because of my wife.

That day, we were suppose to meet with Key and Onew as they were the assigned Court Heads for the Court of the Frisk. 

Frisk Residers are known to be mischievous and playful in the most cunning way and being a Grand Duke will not exempt you from being victimized by them. Actually, they pulled a prank on me once but I wouldn't elaborate since I don't want a handsome like me to look pathetic on your eyes so I'll rather keep it a secret. I'm sorry, readers, but I that moment is only for me and my Naeun to know. Though I'm hoping that she wouldn't reveal it. 

Anyways getting back to my tale, on the day of our visit, these Frisk Residers did a terrible prank on her that made her super angry. 

As I was meeting with my two comrades, she asked me if she can have a look at the rest of the court which I highly disagreed at first. But since I don't want to suffer her good graces, I agreed hesitantly. 

If I can recall it right, she said that she was curiously strolling the place. At first, everything seems normal. She taught that the place was just like the Court of Wishes but little did she knew that a great prank lies somewhere in the city just for her. 

As she turned in an alley, she said that a cute pastry shop caught her eyes which she eagerly went into since she wanted to buy our little cub some sweets. But as she got in, no pastries greeted her. Instead, as she went inside the shop, she found herself falling in a pool of mud and gore. The Frisk Residers, as mischievous as they were, laugh at my miserable wife covered with dirt and it angered her. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter