- t w e n t y -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TWENTY

After my first task, I was shoved back into my filthy cell down below the castle. Everyone knew that I was struck by the poisonous tail of the manticore but no one has arrived to fix me up. I estimated that I've been here for more than an hour now and I'm afraid that the poison must have started travelling into my veins. If no one will really going to help me up, I guess I will going die down here slowly without anyone even noticing, but no, I can't let that happen.

My sister—I still need to find my sister. As far as I can remember it was Kai who helped Chorong out from the wyvern and he might know where my sister could possibly is. 

I waited for another hour yet I never heard anyone opening up my cell to check up on me. Cold sweat started beading on my forehead and I could already feel that my consciousness is slowly slipping away.

This is bad, the poison is starting to act upon my body. My head started spinning and my body is deteriorating, it's too cold down here, too cold.

I was about to pass out but I heard a familiar velvety voice shouted, ", . Naeun wake up!" I wanted to know who came to save me but I can no longer see clearly, everything seems to blur away and it's so cold.

"Hey, hey. Stay with me, okay? Don't sleep, stay with me," the familiar voice told me and I could feel the panic from the owner of the voice. I tried keeping my eyes open but the coldness of the room is lulling me to sleep. I'm too tired and all I wanted is to rest deeply. "Damn it, Kai! Do something!" 

"I am! I'm trying, okay? I'm trying," I heard another familiar voice answered the first one. Then suddenly I felt a thick liquid sliding down into my throat, and it's bittersweet.

My vision is gradually getting better after I drank the liquid and I am starting to feel my senses getting back to normal. I am aware that I got limped but I didn't knew that I was propped up into someone else's arms, and when I look up, I saw that the Grand Duke of the Night Kingdom staring down at me with a concern look but he quickly wash it away and replaced by his usual arrogant smile. 

​​​​​​"Loving the way you cradled against the Night Lord, Naeun Sweetheart?" Taemin softly purred and then smirked at me. If I was not limping, I swear that I could kick his and wipe those proud smile off his beautiful face. Oh no, not again. Did I call him beautiful? Damn. 

​​​​​​"S-Shut up you p-prick," I mumbled which earned a chuckle from the other person inside my cell. 

"Let her rest, Taemin. Let's go," it was Kai. Kai is here, the person who took my sister away is here so with all of my remaining energy, I went to grab one of his wrist to stop him from leaving. 

"Wait," I said and Kai gave me a confuse look so I continued, "Chorong, where d-did you take her?" 

"She's safe," he said. 

"How can I trust you? Y-You were the one who suggested this task, the two of you. How.. can I know that you are not my enemy?"

"I'm not," Kai said seriously and then pointed to the Night Lord, "And so is he."

"What do you mean?" 

The Day Lord released a long sigh before deciding to settle himself down near where Taemin is still cradling me. "You have flown twice before and I know that you grew loving it, but Thamuz did not know. So I suggested it because I know that you'll have an advantage here, Naeun. Flying will not be difficult for you anymore. We're trying to lessen the burden for you, child."

I slowly get up away from the bumptious Grand Duke of the Night and settle myself against the cold prison wall. As I move, I could feel that the both of them were watching me intently as if contemplating whether the liquid that they've given is now working on me.

I hate to admit but Taemin has come to save my once again. It could have been much better if Myungsoo was the one who has come to my aid but no. I took a deep breath and face the grand dukes once again and said, "Where is Chorong?" 

​​​​​​"He already told you, Sweetheart. Your sister is safe," said the Night Lord. 

"Shut up. I'm not talking to you, and quit calling me that!" 

"Oh, I won't. I know you like it when I'm calling you sweetheart. Or do you prefer me to call you darling instead?" 

"Out! Get out you prick. I want to talk with Kai alone!" 

"You know I wouldn't do that and I'm afraid to leave my cousin alone with a hot-headed woman like you."

"What did you sa—" I stop in my mid sentence as I process the last words that Taemin has said. "Y-You're cousins?" My gaze ricochet between the two male in front of me and then I saw it, the resemblance, I was dumbfounded that I haven't seen the resemblance of them before. That explains why the two of them seems to be so close with each other and why Kai wa never afraid or tried avoiding the cunning Grand Duke of the Night Kingdom. 

"Yes, we are." They said in unison and my jaw dropped,  the Day and the Night Lords are cousin! I can't still believe it but I was instantly torn away from my thoughts as the Day Lord stepped towards me and put a glowing hand on my head. "Worry no more about your sister, Naeun. She's safe but we can't tell you her whereabouts."

"That's true, I ensure you that she is safe and will be kept safe. Thamuz will never lay a hand on her again." Taemin said as his dark shadows starts circling him and he continued, "Rest now, Naeun Sweetheart." ​

​​​​​​The last thing I saw was the warm smile of the Day Lord before blinding light has engulfed me and tiredness has dragged me into sleep.

 

 

 

 

I can still feel the stinginess of the wound that I have received from the manticore yesterday but I am thankful that both the Day and the Night Lord have come to prevent me from dying.

Before I can completely stood up from my sleep, two sentries suddenly marched inside my cell and forcefully grab both of my arms. I kick and trash from their grip but the both of them held strong so I just gave up and tried asking them instead. 

"I just have my task yesterday! Has my second one arrived?!" 

"No but our master has given us the rights to give you orders."

"And what will it be?" 

"There," one of the sentries answered me and when I look at what he's pertaining, I saw five baskets each containing huge pile of seeds seating on the grounds. "Each basket is filled with a mixture

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter