- f o r t y e i g h t -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT

I can't clearly remember the last time I was awake but I was aware that I have been slipping in and out of consciousness every now and then.

Infinite darkness greeted me whenever I tried opening my eyes and all I could feel was the dampness of the soil where I was discarded heedlessly. It was cold, brutally cold, and I was alone.

I regained consciousness once again but this time, I forced myself to stay awake. My head is throbbing badly. I tried standing up but my body is failing me big time, I was struggling, and it feels like some invisible weights are trying to push me back. 

Where am I? How did I even end up here? 

Ah, it was Thamuz. He found me, he found me too quickly, but I thought Taemin tried to hold him back so I could have time to run?

"My goodness, Taemin!" My voice sounded weird as I mumble my mate's name. If Thamuz found me, could it be that he beaten the Night Lord?

I dared a touch to our bond, I tried calling for his name but it was only a void of darkness. I can't feel him, not a tinge of his presence emits from the bond, he was not there. Could it be—no! I told him not to get himself killed and I know that he's skilled enough protect himself. Oh please, be fine, please be alive.

"You woke up just in time, miss. Seize her," I was torn away from my own little world when an unfamiliar voice shouted from the outside. I tried taking in their figures but I was blinded by the bright light coming from the opened door and moment later, I felt a pair of strong arms pulled me and forced me on my feet. 

Panic shot through me and despite of the hoarseness of my voice I started screaming, "Where are you taking me? Where is Taemin?! Stop!, stop" 

"I'll shut my mouth if I were you. The king wouldn't like it if he heard you screaming like a lunatic hag," said one of the faeries handling me. Sentries, they are all sentries. 

"A king? And who is this ridiculous king you are talking about?" I asked spitefully which earned a whack from one of the sentries. 

"Watch your mouth, faerie. You'll see the king once we get to the hall." 

The three of us took several turns on dark corridors. The place was filled with bothering noises from every corner. Shrieks, weeps and moans of despair are can be heard from almost everywhere as if the place is a living hell, like Tartarus in human stories about Greek myths. 

"What the hell is this place?" I asked through gritted teeth. I can no longer hold it, the noises around is making my skin crawl. 

"You are in Duivel, the Island of the Damned."

More questions pop up into my head but before I could even ask, the sentries tossed me with great force onto the floor. I almost scream but I held it as I take in the hall. It was made from the familiar black stones from the devil's lair, not just the stones but even the details are the same. And when I look around, a new found fright formed inside  me as I look at the horrifying faces of my audience, not faces, they were masks! They were all wearing terrifying masks except for one. 

"Well, well. It's nice to see you again, Naeun darling." Thamuz greeted me with his signature menacing smile.

I wanted to retort but he angled his head towards someone wearing a misshapen mask and said, "I've retrieved your bride, grand duke. It's quite difficult to separate her from her mate, you know. It's time to do my bidding!"

Grand duke? He regarded the masked man as a grand duke, could it be... 

The unknown man made his way towards me and carefully remove his mask. It feels like every cells in my body died as I take in his face. Breathless, I mumbled, "Myungsoo. How could you?"

"Hello, Naeun. It is nice to see you again," the Winter Lord smiled at me warmly as if something is not in amiss. 

"What are you doing? Why are you with that filthy devil? What bidding is he talking about, Myungsoo? Answer me!" 

Dark laughters filled my ear as Thamuz step in front of the Winter Lord. He gripped my jaw too tightly and spat, "Ah look, your mouth is filthier than me, darling. How dare you about me when I am standing here, take note, just in front of you two? Now where is your manner, Naeun darling?" 

"S-Shut up and I d-don't care about y-you!" The devil's grip was crushing my jaw making me struggle to say every words. He is enjoying it, he is enjoying how pathetic I looked.

"That's enough," said Myungsoo, "You are hurting her Thamuz."

"Fine, fine. Do your stuff and I am just going to seat on my throne and wait for your chit-chat to finish. Just be quick," with that, Thamuz released his grip on me and went to his ridiculous throne of bones. And I laugh, I laugh histerically upon realizing something and it made the devil raise an eyebrow at me. 

I gave him a sarcastic smile and said, "You are the king that they were talking about, aren't you? Well, let me tell you that you look funny on your throne. And you know why? Because kingdom doesn't suits you at all. You are much more suitable as a slave than a king, Thamuz!"

Satisfaction bloom inside me as I watch how the devil's face crafted from all proud to fury. I smiled at him sweetly and talk once again, "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I made you mad, your highness? Truth hurts, isn't?" 

My smile grew wider as Thamuz started to convulse because of too much anger. With voice so dark, he told Myungsoo, "Get her away here before I kill him. Get her out, Myungsoo!"

​​​​​​The Winter Lord acted quickly and pulled me up from the floor. Carefully, he scooted me and led me away from the raging bull seated on the bone throne. Both of us took the dark passages of Duivel, passing several doors on our way, only stopping when we are far from the noises coming from the hall. 

Myungsoo open up one of the doors and it revealed a dark receiving room. Once inside, he gently put me in a couch and went back to close the door.

"What are you doing?" He started as he settle himself in a couch in front of me. "You pissed Thamuz so much. That's not wise!" 

I gave the Winter Lord a disgusted look. If there is someone who needs to be lectured, it's him, not me. 

"And what you just did is wise? You sided with him, Myungsoo. You sided with the enemy and you're telling me that what I did is not wise? Have you gone mad?"

"I am mad! I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter