- f o r t y s i x -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY SIX

It has been hours yet the Night Lord and I were still tangled with each others arms and for us, the night was actually terrifyingly calm.

The both of us were so engrossed with telling of our most unforgettable stories starting from our childhood up until we reached our adulthood. As for him, he has been walking on this world for hundred of years now and literally did most of the talking. 

He told me some memories of him with his family, his journey in discovering his magical abilities as a child and the intense trainings that he has undergone in order to manipulate and control his own growing powers. 

On his case, Taemin said that he was needed to be trained at a very young age because when he was still eight, he already manifested abilities that is comparable to an adult faerie. His mother was afraid that Taemin might not be able to control it so when his father suggested that he's to be trained, she never taught twice because she was afraid that his son might cause great destruction not only to his beloved city but also to the whole faerie land. 

Apparently, the Night Lord is a direct descendant of the greatest and most powerful faerie that has ever lived. If I can recall it right, Taemin was the sixth generation of the said line. Assuming that this is right, well, I can confirm that he is indeed the current most powerful faerie here in Verboden!

We were lost in our own little world but a falling star captured my eyes which made me lose my focus on the Night Lord and said, "Is that 'the meteor' you guys are talking about?"

Taemin was silent for a moment and when I look at him, I thought I saw sadness on those beautiful eyes. 

"Yes," his voice small, "It is. Shall we go back to the ball? Someone might spot your parents among those souls, you want to see them right?" he said and offered a sincere smile. 

The sad look on his eyes eventually vanished and Taemin lightly tug me away from the balcony and the both of us silently went back to the crowd. As we got nearer, the joyful booming of music once again consumed me.

I spotted a familiar faces in the middle of the crowd and at first I thought I was just hallucinating. I even tried rubbing my eyes and take a second look but they are still standing there—my parents are there and they both looks so alive.. . and sparkly. A light chuckle escaped my mouth and eventually turned into sob as I run towards where my parents are standing.

"Mother.. Father.. I thought.. I thought I will n-never see you a-again." My vision blurred because of the unshed tears and I couldn't breathe. I was so overwhelmed of seeing both of my parents again. It was too painful to see them both go and all those years, I refused to let them go.

​​​​​​"Oh, our sweet child, don't cry. Mama's heart breaks whenever I see you cry." Instead of calming down, my cries only grew louder as I heard my mother's voice. My chest tightens even more as I heard my father speak and said, "You have changed a lot.. You are no longer Papa's little cub. Our youngest have grown into a fine lady and I couldn't be more proud."

"I am too," said my mother, "As I watched your father pass away, I was worried of the person you'll become. But look at you, smart, courageous and beautiful, your siblings have guided you so well which I am very thankful for."

"But mother, I died.. I died by trying to save someone that I loved. But I was naive because I was easily blinded by a love that I thought would last. How can I be smart?" I sobbed.

"And here you are, you were reborn. You may have made wrong decisions but those things cannot define you. What matter is that you learned and you are able to grow to a tougher version of you. Naeun, my dear, you are just in the right track and you are doing so well in this. I'm so proud of you, daughter."

"Even if I'm no longer human? I-I was reborn as a faerie, mother. I am no longer the daughter you used to have."

"No, you are in the right place. This is your destiny and we could not wait for the day you fulfill all the plans that the heavens has made for you. Be brave, Naeun."

"But mothe–" I was about to retort but I was cut by my father who was looking at my back restlessly but I caught a small smile forming on his lips. 

"Are you just going to stand there and mumble daughter? Aren't you going to give us a hug?" My sob came into halt and I gave my parents a confused look and said, "If I do, will I pass through you? I mean.. You guys are only spirits, aren't you?" 

I heard a boyish chuckle from behind and I whirled around to see my brother together with Chorong and both are smiling widely at me. 

"Ah, I agree with father of you growing into a fine lady but little Naeun can still be stupid at times, can she not?" A new set of tears once again cascaded down into my face as I stare at my brother Dongwoon's sparkling form. I wasted no more minutes and pulled each of them into a tight hug and cry like a lost child. I bet my cries could be heard throughout the hall but I don't give a damn because tonight is the first time that my family got to be complete again and the Night Court is the only place that made it possible. 

 

 

 

I spent the remaining hours of the meteor ball with my family but I see to it that the Night Lord is occupied and is enjoying himself. It is his court's ball after all and he deserves to enjoy every bit of it.

My family has used the time for us to tell stories for our parents and as we do, I silently watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter