- t e n -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER TEN

I did not get any sleep last night. There are too much thoughts running in my head and Taemin's warning keep replaying every once in a while. After he left, I spent the rest of the night thinking and staring at the crystal pendant that he has given me. 

The sun has finally risen and the Vernal Kingdom was awaken with the soft chirping of the birds. A moment later, a knock sounded on the door and Namjoo emerged holding a new chiffon dress but this one is less lavish than  the one that I have worn in the feast. After closing the door, she was surprise to find me already bathed and seated on the vanity making her almost drop the dress onto the floor. 

"Good morning! You're up extra early today," she greeted me with all smiles but frown as she notice the dark circles under my eyes. "You didn't sleep, did you?" 

"I have trouble sleeping so I quit trying," I said and then yawn. 

"Change into this first and let me fix those ugly circles beneath your eyes. Get up, girl."

I stood up and followed her commands because I don't have any energy left to even protest. When I'm changed, she proceed on putting powder and other stuffs beneath my eyes and miraculously hiding it away. 

​​​​​​"There, you're all fixed. Lord Myungsoo and the other Grand Dukes are having their meals in the dining hall. Woohyun is waiting for you outside to you there." 

The mere mention of Myungsoo's name drained what ever energy left in my body so I just gave her a nod and went outside. Just like what she said, my was standing outside, studying a dusty painting in the wall. 

​​​​​​"Morning, Woohyun." I greeted him after closing the door. 

​​​​​"Good morning," he offered his left arm. "The Grand Dukes have requested for your presence in the dining hall. I was told to bring you there so you won't be lost."

"But why would they want me there?" 

"You're always asking questions, Naeunie! Actually, I don't know as well but don't be nervous. I will be inside as well."

The dining hall is located on the castle grounds just adjacent to the great hall. The court is already bustling with faerie servants holding up trays of food or cleaning materials probably to accomodate the needs of the guests who stayed here last night. The court itself was designed identically with the winter's, well of course with the exemption of the ice, instead, the walls are mostly covered with vines. 

We have reached our destination a moment later and the dining hall was filled with the sounds of clattering of utensils and voices of people conversing. No one paid any attention as Woohyun and I entered the hall and take our respective seats near our court leader, well I let Woohyun took the seat beside him to be specific.

The Grand Duke of the Day Kingdom, which I believe to be Kai, was the one who noticed our entrance and he offered me a warm smile after greeting me with good morning. I greeted the Day Lord back and proceed on scanning the hall. Everyone seems to be occupied with either silently eating their meals or bickering on a certain subject. Just like what I have been told, every Grand Duke is present this morning. Well except for Taemin, he is nowhere to be found. 

"The mortal has finally arrived!" Chanyeol, the Grand Duke of Fire Kingdom, blurted which caught the attention of the others. I can see from my peripheral vision that Myungsoo is looking at me upon the announcement of my arrival. 

"Uh, a pleasant morning Grand Dukes of Verboden. I am Naeun Elr–" The Grand Duke of the Summer Kingdom's laugh echoed inside the hall making me stop in mid sentence, he seems to be too much carefree for a grand duke. I think I could easily get along with this one though.

​​​​​​"There's no need for formality and introduction, child! We already know you." Minho chirpily told me and the other grand dukes nod in agreement. 

​​​​​​"That's right. It may sound alarming but we know everything about you," this time it was Kai who talked. 

"Oh no, it's not 'we​​​​​​', it's more like 'you'. No secrets can escape from an all-knowing lord afterall!" Chanyeol blurted with a laugh earning a small smile from the Day Lord. 

"How?" is all that I could say. The presence of five of the most powerful faeries made all my bones turn into jelly, I am so nervous that I am facing them right now and even joing them in their meal. 

"It's one of the powers blessed upon me. I have the knowledge of almost everything to the point that when I try looking at someone, it is easy for me to tell what he is currently thinking." Kai calmly explains.

"So I suggest that you want to be careful around that guy, Naeun." It was Minho's time to talk again, his face was so serious and he stare intently at me but within seconds later he bark another loud laugh which vibrated all around the halls. This grand duke is really...weird but I really like his personality. 

​​​​​"Stop that, Minho. You're frightening the child!" Chanyeol warned him but Minho only gave him an odd look and said, "But she's no child anymore, look!"

The Grand Duke of the Vernal Kingdom who was busy with his own meal suddenly drop his untensils and gave the two, Minho and Chanyeol, a long look to make them stop. "That's enough now. We have requested for the mortal's presence not for that matter." Suho paused as he tried to clear his throat. When I look around again, the delight from their faces suddenly vanished and was replace with a serious one. 

"There's a bigger reason why we wanted to have you here today Naeun," he started. I have a feeling that what he will be telling me has something to do with what Taemin told me last night so I give Suho my full attention.

"I'm not sure if the Winter Lord has told you this but... Exactly forty-nine years ago, someone from a foreign faerie realm has landed here aiming to hold and corrupt the peaceful land of Verboden. He, who goes with the na

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter