- f o r t y f i v e -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE

Finally, the time for Meteor ball came.

The Night Kingdom has always been breathtaking to me but today, the whole place is radiating a different kind of vibe of grandness. Everything that my eyes landed into seems to be alive as it twinkles happily along with the setting sun. 

Taemin, Hayoung and I arrived here before the sky lightens up and I was quite stunned as I saw how busy the people around the whole kingdom. Usually, the Night Kingdom is not awake until the sun is high up but I guess today is indeed different. At dawn, the city was already filled with men fixing lanterns and decors, women bustling around with their baskets and stuffs, and children laughing excitedly for the upcoming ball. It is not yet time for the ball and yet everyone seems to already exuding happiness and the view has warmed my heart.

"The city seems to be so alive. This ball must be really special to them," I said softly as I stare over a bunch of giggling children from a far. 

When I tore my gaze from the view and look up at the man beside me, the Night Lord has this gentle looks on his eyes and they are seems to sparkling. With a small smile he answered, "It is. It is the only time of the year where everyone gets to be together."

"Aren't everyone here always together? It's a small city afterall."

"No," he said and a chuckle escaped on his lips. "Everyone. What I mean is that even those who no longer walk on these land visit the city and these souls appears like a falling stars. Like what I've said, it is the only time of the year where the living and the dead have the chance to be together again. Even people who didn't originally from here seems to love visiting our city on days like these. The place will be extra crowded tonight because this is the only place in Verboden that they can visit."

A thought has suddenly crossed my mind and I reached a shaking hand to him and asked, "D-Do you think I can see him? Will I able to see them again?"

"Your brother and your parents. Of course, there is a huge chance that you'll meet them tonight."

"A chance? Meaning I can't guarantee that I will see them?"

"Yes," he sigh. "The city will be flooded by souls tonight and we might have some difficulties in finding your parents and your brother among them but I will have our men inform us whether they'll have a sightings of them. Don't lose hope, okay?" Taemin made me faced him carefully and brushed away the strands that were obscuring my face. With the gentlest way, he tucked it securely behind my ears and planted a kiss on my forehead. "Now, can I see those bright smiles, sweetheart?"

 

 

Throughout the day, my impatient self has pestered the Night Lord in between our preparations. Every now and then, I would constantly ask Taemin details on how these souls travels here in the city and of how can I possibly recognize my parents and my brother among them. I felt a guilty feeling at my actions at some point but luckily, my mate has the best patience ever. Of all of my pestering, never did I heard or felt the irritation in him.

Instead, he answered all my queries calmly and I assumed that he felt my little uneasiness so he would constantly ease it down. Thank the heavens for giving me such a good male!

The Meteor ball will start in any minute now. Looking at the vanity, I cannot almost recognize the lady starring back at me. My dress was simple yet it screams elegance and sophistication—the fabric was made from silk wherein the front was styled into a deep 'V' and when I turn around, most of my back was exposed.

I never got the chance to choose what I'm to wear on this ball so I'm assuming that Taemin is behind on this thing. That male surely has a good taste when it comes to these things. How? Pfft, I didn't want to know. 

I was busy fixing the loose strands of my curled hair when I heard a soft knock on my door so I abruptly gathered the skirt of my dress and cross the room. When I open it up, the Night Lord was standing there and he appears to be busy fixing his cuffs so I cleared my throat and asked, "Is the ball about to start?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter