- f o r t y t w o -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY TWO

"I'm sorry if I have to cut your conversation with Kai. I thought today will be the right time to go to the Great Sibyl since we will not have enough time tomorrow," the Grand Duke of the Night Kingdom explained as the two of us navigate our way towards the famous Lake Geest Meer.

Actually, I am a little bit eager to talk to the Day Lord since I wanted to thank him for considering the safety of my sister during my task in the devil's lair, but I didn't have a chance since Taemin has dragged me quickly away from the siblings. We still have until tomorrow to stay in here so I made a mental note to do it once Taemin and I get back in the castle.

"It's okay," I replied. "We have the time to talk later on amd I know how important this meeting with the Great Sibyl so I suggest that you use your magic and send us near the lake right away."

The Night Lord had stilled instantly and look down towards our intertwined hands and breathlessly said, "Right! I-I almost forgot that I have magic. I'm sorry."

Taemin removed his hand hesitantly away from me and starts weaving in the air, his black mist appeared and instantly enveloped the two of us. I could already feel the lightness around my body which means that I will be transported in any minute now but hesitation washed over me as my eyes diverted to the Night Lord's face. I saw that his face was burning red and I assume it was because of what I have said. 

So before we were completely engulfed with his own shadows, I tried helding out my hand which he was holding earlier and said, "Why did you took away your hand? You can keep holding it."

His swirling shadows stopped in midair then Taemin raised one eyebrow at me and asked me, "What did you just said?" 

"I said you can keep holding my hand. You like it, don't you?" I teased.

Despite of having to live with him for about a month, I have figured out that the Night Lord is not the kind of a man who's composed and always serious. He can also act childish and playful at times most specifically when he is with his close friends and it seems like Taemin is a different person whenever he acts like one. Gone is the mask that he prefer to wear whenever other people were around, gone is the Grand Duke who's known to be savage and cruel. He's just Taemin.

If there's another thing that I learned about him, that would be how easy he can be teased and the Night Lord is so terrible at hiding it.

"N-No, I'm fine." Taemin has tried his best to hide his redness by looking away but his pointed ears greatly betrayed him and I laugh. Taemin is not the only one who enjoyed teasing because I do to. Honestly, I'm quite surprised at first because I'm never good at it but when it comes to him, provoking seems to be a nice thing! 

The Night Lord called to his shadows once again but before it can completely engulfed us, I made a move and lock my hand around his which earned a small gasp from him. I gave him a toothy grin and said, "Apologies if you don't like holding my hand, but I love it. I love holding your hands. Let's go to the lake like this, okay?"

Taemin never get the chance to respond but the last thing that I saw before we were cocooned inside was the smile he is wearing and the loving look from his eyes.

 

 

The Grand Duke of the Night Kingdom's Point of View

My heart was racing by the time Naeun and I reached the borders of the Lake Geest Meer. I can hear its loud pounding to the point that it completely muffled the noise emitted by the wild waters of the lake ahead, and the reason behind it is no ther than the female standing beside me. I hate to admit but she can effortlessly make my heart panic everytime just like what she did earlier.

"...I love holding your hands."

That was the only thing that she said but she made my heart swells in too much joy. Upon the death of my mother and sister, I never thought that I will be able to find happiness once again but she came. She happened and now, she has become my lifeline. Since the day that I knew what has been written for the two of us, I found a new reason to live and tribe once again. She's my lifesaver.

And there she is, my love, my mate, looking so ethereal as ever. Honestly, I never know what I did good for fate to give me such a wonderful female like her. I could have savour the moment of staring at her perfect features not only if she didn't frown at me and said, "You done staring at my beautiful face, Night Lord?" 

It is undeniable that she indeed looks so beautiful—she always do—but okay, that's two and two is enough! Naeun, my love and mate, seems to be enjoying her time teasing me and I had enough teasing today so I gave her a glare. Then I slowly walked closer to her to playfully give her a flick in the forehead and said, "Too proud of yourself, sweetheart?" But you are beautiful, darling. Always. 

"Ouch," she chirped. "Is flicking necessary?!" 

"It is so you can wake up... from your delusions," I casually replied and starts walking closer to the silver waters of thw Geest Meer and I heard him quickly followed suit. I wanted to tell her that she should wake up and notice the love that I bear for her but I thought it would be inappropriate so I said those words instead. We have come here for a purpose and I wouldn't want to break it because of some unexpected love confessions!

Once that Naeun and I get closer to the edge of the lake, its water started convulsing and emitting deadly bubbles on the surface. A moment later, some wraith-like creature emerged from the lake and I know that it is no other than the well-known Great Sibyl, the all-knowing faerie mother of Verboden.

"You are the feared Lord of the Night and the most powerful faerie that these land has bore. What do you came here for, Grand Duke?" I heard a soft female voice around and I instantly knew that it came from the Great Sibyl. 

I dared another step forward and I was greeted by a dangerous gurgle of waters ahead. I stopped on my tracks and said, "I came here for an important matter, all-knowing mother. I am here because I seek some answers from you."

"And what is it?" 

"It's about the usurper named Thamuz who once poisoned these lands. He's still on the loose and we are desperate to know his current whereabouts. I, we are now afraid that his wrong doings might happen again if we will not stop him now and here I am, asking for your help."

"You know how things works, Grand Duke. You need to do or give something in order to calm my waters or else I would not give you what you want." Despite of the softness of her voice, the strong warnings can still be felt.

"What can I offer you in exchange of your help," I asked. 

"Almost everyone failed to sway me with the things that they offered. It's a challenge. My waters is known to be letal and only few succeeded in pleasi—"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter