- f o r t y n i n e -

MATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER FORTY NINE

The Night Lord's Point of View

Time is running too fast for my liking.

It took us, the Grand Dukes of Verboden, about three whole days to rally our troops to the Vernal Realm and readied to sail the sea to Duivel. 

My mood has been foul since the day that we started sailing the waters to the devil's island because we are moving slow and I can't prevent myself from overthinking of my mates's condition. The bond has gone quiet since she was taken. Three weeks. Three ing weeks has passed since he held Naeun captive and I couldn't even think of a better way to kill that bastard.

"We are approaching the coast of Duivel. Grand Dukes, I suggest that you summon your powers and conceal our ships until we ensure that it is safe to land." My worries instantly melted away as my commander, Sehun, announced our location. My shadows acted quickly and start coiling around me and to the ship. To my advantage, we reached the area at night so I can easily cast shadow magic upon us.

​​​​​​"Allow me to do the honors," I muttered but my cousin, the Day Lord, insisted that we do it altogether so I would not use too much magic and be left with only cinders once we attack the island. 

"There are five huge ships, Taemin. Your magic may not be enough to conceal us. Also, if you push yourself too much, you might end up drain and powerless when we rally Duivel. Let us help you," Kai said in a worried tone but I only chuckled at him. 

​​​​​​"Cous, are you forgetting something? It is night time and I am the Grand Duke of the Night Realm. What's my title for if I cannot command the shadows, the stars and the moon to conceal us?" I said and gave the Day Lord a smug look. 

Kai only raised an eyebrow at me and said, "Fine. Hide us and I'll take my Griffin to round the island. Wait for my signal. And Taemin," he address me again, "I need your commander to come with me and at least five more sentries to help me clear the way for the rest of us."

"A castle is erected in the middle of the island. According to my sources, the back is the least guarded so we will quickly cover the area to give us entrance to the castle. I will suggest that the rest stays hidden here in the coast until we give us our signal." Sehun said professionally to the Grand Dukes which earned nods from each one of them. 

Kai, Sehun and five other sentries quickly mounted their respective Griffins and took off to the sky. The heavens must have been on our side since fog and cloud has started to gather around us which helped my shadows to conceal the ships and even Kai and the rest. 

All of us waited patiently as we were told but each of one stayed vigilant as possible for any possible danger. A few minutes later, we heard soft thuds against the sand as the bodies tumble into it. Some of the remaining sentries run towards the commotion but just like their comrade, they all end up dead. 

"Path is cleared," Sehun landed soundlessly to the ship's floor and with that, our troops gathered their supplies and gathered around for final plans. My commander cleared his throat and speak once again. "Like what we have planned, the Vernal court will take the east side of the island and the Summer court will take the west," he said earning a single nod from both Suho and Minho.

Then Sehun faced the Day and the Fire Court to re-state the plans to them and said, "The Day Lord and his Griffin army will take the sky and help the rest of the courts on their respective battles. Kai's troops are mostly skilled archers so they can help in diminishing the number of the enemies by shooting them. The north side of the island is being guarded by the winter sentries and it is the fire court who will combat them."

Finally, Sehun addresses me with fire burning on his eyes. I understand him. He was a commander, he was born to lead battles likes this like a true warrior that he is, and I understand the determination that I see on him. He look at me directly in the eye and muttered, "Hayoung and I will lead our troop and take the south. Your job now is to find Naeun. Save our friend."

I was about to retort but Sehun did not give me any chance as he quickly shifted his attention back to the rest of the crew and give his final command. 

​​​​​​"If you see Thamuz or the Winter Lord, don't engage unless a grand duke is within your radius. Lastly, don't get yourself killed."

With the commander's final words, all our troops set into motion and went to their assignments. I rally the south with the rest of my court and took the chance to argue about my task. While running, I tried talking to Sehun and insisted, "Let me help. We can fight together and find Naeun along the way. I can't let you guys take this battle on your own!"

A shook was his only respond.

​​​​​​I felt a soft tap on my shoulder and it turns out to be Hayoung. She gave a warm smile and I assume that she explained on Sehun's behalf. Softly she said, "It is true that we will do better with you here but Naeun is in danger. If there is anywhere that you are needed to be, it is to find her. She's our friend and she is your mate. She needs you more than we do so save her. Let us handle this matter, Tae."

"But something terrible might happen if I left you. I don't want any of you to die!" 

"No one's dying here, cous. And if you don't go now, Naeun.. she's the most at risk. Would you rather rally along with us and let her die or not?" 

"What? Of course, not! I don't want her to die or any of you."

"Then go," she said. "Go and save her. For you, and for us."

I was hesitant. I was thorn between the safety of my court and the life of my mate but I have no other choice. I release one heavy breath and felt defeated. Putting my faith to my friends I finally said, "Fine."

I gave Hayoung one last glance and I saw a small smile forming on her lips. After she gave me a nod, I quickly pivoted and change my direction to run away from the starting battle. The castle is located in the middle of the island and to my luck, all the sentries guarding the entrance left their posts to join the fight on the shore.

Upon entering the castle, ear splitting moans and wails only greeted me. Not a single sentry can be spotted. I am assuming that all of them has gone to the battlefield but I did not let my guards down. Despite of the halls being empty, I still summon my shadows to cover up my tracks as I maneuvered the castle to look for Naeun. After several turns, I felt a slight tug inside me. Could it be the bond? 

I no longer think about it and just let it guide me around the place. Within a moment later, the pull within me led me into a flight of stairs. From here, the noises become more distinct and it almost feels like it is scraping my skin. I tried feeling for the tug to come but it vanished. Panic washed over me and I am starting to feel dreadful. But no, I can't just give up! 

I cleared my head from temporary distractions and take the stairs. This is the castle's dungeon judging from the number of metal doors. I don't mind opening these doors to find my mate but my problem is the stairs seems to be endless meaning the dungeon have different levels. If I were to open these doors, it might took me forever to finish. Taemin, come on, think. 

"Her scent! I can find her through her scent," I whispered to myself.

Closing my eyes, I used my faerie senses to try catching Naeun's scent in the air. At first it was difficult since all I could pick up were blood and decomposing bodies all over the place. I tried harder and concentrated on her scent d that is when I caught her scent. It was muted but it's there. 

Once again, I run a flight of stairs and only stopping when I figured where her scent was the strongest. Just like the rest of the levels, metal doors lined the room but only a single door is being guarded by two faeries.​ ​​​​​​I wasted no time and approached the door but before I can even get near it, the two faeries pointed their swords at my throat.

"Who are you? How did you entered here?" said one of them. 

I grin and said, "I am the most handsome Grand Duke and yet you don't know me? You upset me and I don't like it when someone do because they always end up dead." 

​​​​​​Before they can even land a blow, I summoned my powers and conjured shadow blades. Within a heartbeat, soft thuds echoed as their head bounces off to the Dungeon grounds.

Wasting no more seconds, I went to the metal door and work on the lock with speed. The moment that the door swayed open, my heart almost sank as I saw her.

There she is, lying lifeless on the cold, filthy floor. 

 

 

 

 

Naeun's Point of View: Before the Battle in Duivel

I have completely lost track on how long I have been lying like dead on the col

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter