chapter 8

I've got cupcakes

               Eunha sat alone in their shared dorm, seated in an armchair as she stared into space, her mind was filled with complicated thoughts, what was really going on? After learning that their school not only was a target but was also lying to the students? Peace? This was no time for peace, it was the time before a major war, she knew it was going to happen, and if that breach the other day was really an attack, then it was going to be soon. A repeat of history, as usual. She bit her lip as she continued to think, worrying away at as she was trying to figure out how their enemies weren’t just creatures of the dark. How had they, as in the people who worked against them, manage to gain control over the mindless fools? Not noticing the whole of team one stumbling in after their training, she glared in the space in front of her.

“Eunha?”

“Huh?! Oh, it’s just you guys. How was training?”

               Eunha gave a smile as Umji bounced up to her side, taking a seat on an armrest as she talked about how cool Yerin’s skill was, to breathe life into her flames as well as how their training went and how they got into trouble to and quote “accidentally” set off the sprinkler system. As she had predicted, the fire tornado had gotten out of hand and they promptly got soaked, but with the help of Yerin and Yuju, they managed to pull out most of the water and dry off the rest. The fire water duo worked really well together.

“But you look tired Eunha unnie.”

“Ah? I’m…yea I’m tired.”

               Getting up to go to her room, Eunha stretched a little, eliciting a slight giggle from Yuju. Giving her same aged roommate a cursory glance, she quirked an eyebrow before noticing their height difference.

“Ugh, not you too? Please don’t.”

“But it’s just so cute!”

“Yuju, I’m warning you. Do not say it.”

“Ahahah!”

               Giving a tired sigh and a slight smile at their carefree attitudes, she shook her head as she left to her room, leaving the team to the common area. She needed to relax, besides, Sowon had promised that they would begin lessons later, best that she got a nap in between, naps were her favorite. Setting her alarm and laying down on top of her blanket as she wasn’t dressed in pajamas but relatively clean, she lay still and closed her eyes. Opening her eyes when she felt something weird in the air, she sat up and looked around. There was nothing out of the ordinary. Checking her window, she squinted as she saw a post it stuck on the corner of it on the outside.

“What? How?”

               Opening her window and retrieving the note, she frowned as she saw the hastily scribbled words. How had they found her already? Sighing and locking her window again, she drew the curtains and lay back down to rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~

               Sowon paced in her room, her hands swinging uselessly at her sides, she sometimes went near her desk were a thick book sat open and she’d flip one page before wandering off to pace in her area again. Looking out from her top floor window, she sighed as everything seemed so small. Stretching her arms upwards, she creaked some joints before going to her pull up bar that she set up from the ceiling. Usually they instruct to set it up in a doorway, somewhere you could bolt down the pole. But Sowon was too tall for that, if she had put it in the bathroom doorway, her feet would still be touching the ground. Hanging on her bar uselessly for a second, she dropped down lightly as she went and flipped another page.

“What am I going to do? I have to teach her something.”

               Jumping lightly to reach her bar again, she swung a little on it, pulling her legs up to her chest and holding it for as long as she could before letting go again. She was unnerved, her premonition had gone off earlier, but she still hadn’t found the cause. There was no one calling for her, no one looking for her. There was nothing dangerous around her, she had been careful to not stub her toe, she even made sure to drink her water carefully to avoid accidentally choking on droplets of water like the common person sometimes did. Was it just her nerves for having to meet up with Eunha and start lessons?

“Aish.”

               She grabbed her phone and dialed a number, waiting as the dial tone beeped slowly. It wasn’t safe to talk important things over the phone, she knew it. But it wouldn’t hurt to talk to a friend about harmless stuff. Cursing as the other didn’t pick up, Sowon tossed her phone on her bed and flopped on her chair, throwing her arm over her eyes as she slide down in the chair. When her alarm rang, she was startled. Blinking uneasily, she sat up and walked cautiously over to her phone and turned the alarm off. Why was she startled? Why didn’t her premonition kick in? She should have been able to anticipate this small intrusion, but her skill didn’t react. Rubbing her wrists where her metal cuffs rested against her skin, one black, one white. Sowon rubbed her head and shook out her body, taking her backpack, she went out of her room, careful to lock it behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You said that she wouldn’t know.”

“She doesn’t. She didn’t notice it.”

“She did! You saw how unnerved she was!”

“…”

“I’m telling you it’s a bad idea to do it today! Come on, let’s go.”

“No, we’re doing it today, I’ve already nulled her skill.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

               Eunha stretched as she waited for Sowon to arrive, bending to touch her toes, she saw another pair of sneakers come into view. Straightening, she was going to greet her mentor, but there was something off about her.

“Sowon unnie?”

“Hm? What’s up.”

“You’re….you’re kind of glowing.”

               Sowon gave her a weird look, she had heard these words before, boys that thought they had a chance, but Eunha? Why would she say that? Was she actually glowing? Watching as Eunha’s eyes wandered, she drew up a water mirror to check.

“Oh no.”

“Do you see it?”

               Panicking as she ran out of the room, Sowon dashed down the hall and burst out the doors veering a hard left to reach the Senior towers she had just come from. Crashing through the crowds and arriving on the floor that her friend stayed, she banged on the door hurriedly.

“Chungha! Open up!”

“What the hell is going on? Sojung?”

“Quick! Remove the curse on me!”

“You have a curse?”

“I’m glowing am I not?!”

“Well you-“

“Hurry!”

Chungha nodded, pressing her hands to Sowon’s temple as the taller leaned down for her touch, concentrating for a second, Sowon opened her eyes when she felt her senses sharpen again. Thanking her friend quickly with a hug, she warned her not to leave her room alone and ran back to Eunha who was huffing her way up the stairs.

“I think the first thing you need to work on is stamina, come on! We have to hunt some…someone.”

               Grabbing Eunha’s hand, she yanked her arm as she vaulted the window, easily pulling her along. Eunha just closed her eyes tightly as she felt the air hit her face.

“Can someone please explain what is going on?!”

============

Uhhhh does it need more fluff? I think so.