chapter 4

I've got cupcakes

               Yerin looked between the younger Eunbi and Sowon, from her position, this was going terribly. As the team leader, she was supposed to keep her members in line and not cause any trouble. With Sowon’s position as a senior and an academy favorite, they were going to be in big trouble if they got into a fight.

“Y-yes! Um, Eunbi’s skill is lie detector.”

“Wait, Sojung unnie, why is lie detector harmful to students?”

               Sowon chuckled a little darkly, Yewon’s grip in her sleeve was loosening out of worry that her sister had done something bad, her pristine image as her loved older sister would have been tarnished. Ducking her head slightly, Sowon recalled an older incident carefully.

“I once knew a girl who had lie detector.”

“Did you kill her?”

“Hwang Eunbi look me in the eyes. I didn’t kill her, but her enemies were not the creatures of the dark, rather, us.”

               The girls watched as Eunbi confirmed that Sowon wasn’t lying, but this was alarming. Students were her enemy?

“Even though her skill was to detect lies, she had a target painted on her back.  People who didn’t want their secrets revealed avoided her, even though she never activated it on campus. Others wanted to use her to find the truth out of others. You know, she was even a love counselor at some point.”

The sad chuckle that came with that memory made Sowon sober up, she shouldn’t be expressing herself so much to this team. She only needed to care for her partner.

“But, one day it happened. Someone asked her to get an answer out of someone she shouldn’t have, she didn’t have a choice. They lied, someone got angry, someone shot the first bullet, and she was gone.”

               Sowon’s tired sigh made the girls realize how cruel the teenagers around them could be. Despite the harsh truth that they were exposed to, the girls were still going to be attending school here, and this was a piece of advice for the younger Eunbi. Taking a step back, Sowon bowed her head quickly.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off so strong, but I…am not the most experienced dealing with new people. Continue your dorm meeting. Eunbi, send me a message when you’re done.”

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere.”

               Yerin wrung her hands and sat down in the center couch, gesturing for them to sit down. Eunbi sat at the end, she was still slightly, an outsider. Yewon sat next to her still, she was a good kid and she hoped that she could learn more about her sister through Eunbi.

“Shall we, introduce ourselves then? I’m Jung Yerin, junior class, school of passion. My skill, I think would be better off demonstrated than explained. But that does not mean right now right here, I’ll show you when we have team training.”

“My name is Choi Yuna, sophomore class, school of fluidity, I got placed in this team after finally discovering my skill in my year end exam last year.”

               Yuna opened her bottle of water, they watched as the water came out on its own, floating in the air, this was not special to them, this was the basic of water magic, controlling its flow. But what did surprise them, was that when Yuna’s eyes glowed slightly, the water almost seemed to sparkle.

“I can heal with this water, you can say, it’s kind of like holy water. The expense, however, is my energy.”

“Does that mean you can burn the creatures of the dark?”

“Yes, they disappear on contact.”

               That was a handy ability, this ‘holy water’ that could extinguish enemies but heal allies, Yewon could only imagine the strain that was placed on the body when the property was in use. You could say it was like an extension of your own life force in a way, by placing your energy into the water to speed up the healing process, using your own energy to wipe the enemies of their dark intentions, it was almost as if Yuna was fighting, using her spirit. Watching as the water went back into the bottle and Yuna capping it, Yewon clapped lightly.

“Then, I’m Kim Yewon, Sowon unnie’s little sister, but I’m not scary at all, and I don’t think she’s scary either. I think, she’s just speaking from experiences that she wished that she never had. My skill, is premonition, things that make me uncomfortable, like the split second before a teacher calls my name on a question I don’t understand, or dodging a bullet…. just like my sister.”

“Hey, don’t worry about your sister, you’re just yourself. Whether your sister did something wrong or not, it’s not on you.”

“Well, Eunbi you kind of attacked her first…”

“Did not, I asked a question, did I look mean? I’m sorry if I did, I…tend to have a very indifferent face.”

“It’s probably alright.”

               Yewon was a little skeptical about the younger Eunbi, it wasn’t just her face that made her seem upset with Sowon, but even her tone of voice was rather, anger provoking. Hopefully, it was just her personality and they could become best friends. They were going to be sharing a room together.

“I’m Hwang Eunbi, aerial school. Skill, lie detector, I have to concentrate and look people in the eyes to see if they are telling the truth.”

               The room became silent as they turned to look at the older Eunbi, her phone dinged a message and she quickly checked it before looking back up at them.

“My name is Jung Eunbi, I just received my field name, Eunha. I don’t belong to a school, and I’m supposed to be under Sowon’s mentoring. They said something about her being able to handle all the elements and expect me to follow in her footsteps or something like that. I…haven’t found my skill yet.”

               Yerin clapped her hands to gather everyone’s attention, the atmosphere was too serious, it was hard to breathe, and she didn’t like that. Offering a bright smile, she bravely started.

“Well, we should all get to know each other well, my hobbies are listening to music and making food! This is my assist tool, a lighter. It’s easy to create fire once you’ve learned how, but having this tool makes it easier to concentrate in times of dire situations.”

               It was true, most students had little helpers to help them conduct their magic, although Yerin’s lighter most likely didn’t have lighter fluid in it, the object itself must have been imbued with some memories and bits of magic to allow the user to feel more at ease when making magic. Some students were over reliant on their tool, making it their caster.

“Mine, is just this thermos. Not very interesting is it hehe.”

“Hey, at least you don’t look like an idiot swinging a twig around. Mines this stick, supposedly I have this condition where my magic doesn’t work unless I use this thing, but honestly I wish I could do without being called Harry Potter.”

               Then all four of the teammate’s phones dinged and each read their message.

“I guess, I’m no longer Eunbi either, I’m SinB now.”

               Yewon held onto her phone, slightly worried about something. Her field name was Umji, but it wasn’t really, that great of a name. She also, didn’t have a tool. She never had to use one in fact. Fumbling around, she stopped only when Eunha stood up to leave.

“Where are you going?”

“I got a message that Sowon unnie is going out on a mission, I have to go observe.”

“Where?”

“Just outside of campus.”

“But that’s-“

SinB cut off Yerin quickly with a slightly more alarmed look.

“That’s right outside here? How would there even be creatures of the dark this close to school grounds?! We have magic barriers!”

===========

If you have any questions, do ask! I'll only answer if it doesn't involve spoilers :P and this is still the intro, just fyi.