chapter 23

I've got cupcakes

Umji sat curled up on the couch, SinB nervously nearby on her knees. Why she was on her knees she wasn’t sure, but it seemed proper. Kind of.

“Y-yewon?”

Umji mumbled something unintelligible, SinB sat back on her heels a little longer. Pouting slightly, she glanced at the door of their teammates, she could see them peeking through a crack in the door, but no matter what amount of pleading, they didn’t seem willing to come to her save.

“Yewon ah.”

Finally, Umji lifted her head, but what SinB saw wasn’t what she expected. Hurrying to her partner’s side, she hugged her softly, drying the tears on Umji’s cheeks.

“What’s wrong? Why’re you crying?”

“This wasn’t the way it was going to happen.”

SinB was confused, she didn’t have any clue on what Umji was saying, she had just been saved from a potential torture room, received a kiss that she honestly wished she could have another but not to the point of smashing faces again, and really…that was…oh.

“Yewon ah, thanks for coming for me.”

“No problem.”

The youngest shoved her face in her arms again, definitely pouting now. You could practically hear it in her whining voice.

“It’s not a problem Yewon ah.”

“Mm.”

“If you don’t want to consider it your first kiss, I don’t mind forgetting it with you.”

“Mm. Wait what?”

SinB looked at her in the eyes, she was thinking that Umji had wasted her first kiss on her to save her, was that not it? Umji uncurled herself and looked forwards, at the ground instead of SinB.

“If you want to forget it, you can. Even if you didn’t care, I’m going to remember it.”

“Hm?”

Umji turned to SinB quickly. With a certain determination in her eyes, she placed a kiss on SinB’s cheek.

“That’s for being a sweetheart despite being completely wrong.”

Then a pinch on her other cheek.

“And that’s for breaking your promise even though it wasn’t really your fault.”

Getting off the couch, Umji went to the bathroom to wash her face. SinB was still frozen on the couch, her hand going up to her cheek.

“Oh my.”

Why this affected her more than their “actual” kiss SinB didn’t understand. Maybe because it was out of desperation before. Then Umji’s words clicked in her head.

“Wait a second, if she acknowledged that I wasn’t at fault why’d I still get punished?”

She pouted as she slouched into the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Your sister is a feisty one.”

Sowon looked up quizzically from her shoes, she had been called in for a new mission briefing, but the topic of her sister caught her attention.

“Pardon me?”

“Your sister, I never thought that the silent smart type would be so wild.”

“What are you talking about?”

The headmaster grinned in a way that Sowon hated, but orders were orders and he was still the one in charge of what she could do, outside of campus. She clenched her jaw slightly in the thought of enduring until she could become a licensed warrior.

“She’s already in a ual relationship at this age, impressive.”

“She what?”

“You heard what I said.”

Sowon ran out of the meeting room, he chuckled to himself.

“Naïve, I already knew it was a lie.”

Rubbing his eyes a little, he relaxed as he opened them again, the faint glow of pink appearing.

“Well, one team of little girls isn’t enough.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunha returned to her room finally, after Sowon had left for mission briefing, she was told to go back to her room to rest some more, at least, until Sowon had set up a schedule for lessons or whenever the school decided she needed to go attend the general ed classes all students needed from time to time.

Greeting the whole of team one, she couldn’t help but notice that Yerin’s hand was resting on Yuju’s lap, in a rather, provocative location. Seeing as Yuju didn’t react nor seem to care, she shrugged it off as she yawned and entered her room.

“I’ll be sleeping if you need me.”

“Sweet Dreams Eunha!”

“Thanks, Yuna.”

Before she managed to close the door to her room, Eunha heard a slam on the front door. Peeking back out, she watched carefully as Yerin went to open it, a fist of flames ready to greet anyone who was unwelcomed.

“Who is it?”

“It’s Sowon, open up.”

“And how do we know you’re really Sowon?”

“Because this door will disintegrate if you won’t open it now.”

Yerin gulped and quickly opened the door, letting in Sowon. The eldest looked around the room and spotted Umji who had just exited the bathroom. Grabbing onto her sister’s shoulders, she shook her back and forth.

“The headmaster said you had-“

“The what unnie?”

Sowon’s face began to turn pink as she struggled with the word.

“S-s-s-“

Umji crinkled her eyebrows trying to figure out what Sowon was saying when SinB raised a hand as if in a classroom.

“Um, I think she’s trying to say study?”

“NO! ! Why in the world would my little sister have had !”

Umji blinked a few seconds, the room was quiet as Sowon tried to even her breathing. Seriously why? Yuju’s jaw which was slack fell open and Yerin squeaked at last, ending the uncomfortable silence.

“YOU WHAT? WHEN YOU HAVE SINB? AS A TEAM LEADER I CANNOT CONDONE THIS ACTION!”

“I didn’t cheat on SinB what the hell!”

Yerin paused for a second, letting the gears turn.

“Oh my god they did it.”

Hiding in Yuju’s limp hold Yerin fake sobbed as Sowon looked at the both of them. Umji sighed and sat down on the couch and pointed her sister to the other couch.

“Let me explain.”

“Did you do it or not?”

“No! Just listen. I don’t think that we should trust the headmaster.”

“How is this relevant?”

Sowon was impatient, perhaps her unsurprised reaction to Umji’s suspicion of their headmaster meant that she already knew?

“I said it to get SinB out of the basement.”

“Why was she in the basement?”

“They suspected her of murder.”

“Murder of who?”

“The person in the cell next to the illusionist girl.”

Sowon frowned, once she had confirmed that her little sister was still pure and not defiled in any way from a premature relationship, she seemed to be in deep thought.

“Repeat that again, where did the murder happen?”

“In the cell next to the illusionist.”

“There’s only one cell on each floor above b5, for safety reasons, which floor is it? I can’t imagine that SinB would be brought for interrogation any lower than b3.”

SinB’s eyes widened in slight admiration, Sowon’s understanding of the school, as well as her cool headedness-ah well when not concerning her little sister that is.

==================

I said I would update in the morning, too bad my professor decided that it was a good day to assign 10k words worth of projects to be completed in 12 hours. Even if I had teammates, they were useless; they were sleeping through class today I literally slapped a man to get him to pay attention grrrr