s2 ch 18

I've got cupcakes

At first nothing happened, Sowon was still in that blank white room with the prophecy written on the walls. Then the words disappeared, and a voice spoke to her inside her head.

“The prophecy never existed.”

“What do you mean? Eunha couldn’t have been stabbed for no reason.”

“You say that as if you remember.”

“Because I do in this room.”

“Why do you know this?”

Sowon sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

“This is the second time I’m making this wish.”

“You what?!”

A spirit with unrecognizable form appeared in front of her.

“YOU MADE A WISH TO TURN BACK TIME AND IT WORKED?!”

“When I wished for my memories to return, it turned back time. You should check what went wrong yourself.”

Sowon waited impatiently, almost as if she knew exactly what was going on.

“The true prophecy, hand it over.”

The spirit groaned and disappeared in a poof, new words appeared on the wall, slowly.

“The moon’s light is a reflection of the sun, the ability to magnify, direct and control it. The sun’s curse of unrelenting aura is cured by the moon’s sacrifice.”

Sowon scoffed. What was this? A remedy for a sickness? But wait, she had confirmed that Eunha had the power to use light magic, and even in her altered state, she could feel her own magic aura that she had been keeping under wraps. Letting it out was always bad for the people around her, they would suffocate from lack of magic particles, or be choked by them. If Eunha was the sacrifice, then technically, her aura should have been depleting with Eunha’s life. But it wasn’t.

“Eunha isn’t dying.”

Then another line appeared.

“The moon’s curse of everlasting youth without the sun, becomes a sin.”

Eunha was immortal? Then the words jumbled around as if fixing a mistake. Removing the out, Sowon stared.

“I need to get back out of here.”

“You can’t until you make a wish.”

“I made my wish, and you granted me it. Knowledge.”

“That is not a wish.”

“Fine, then let this tragedy never befall anyone ever again.”

The room immediately disappeared and Sowon was dropped into her physical body once more, stunned but relieved that time hadn’t gone back a second time. Quickly pulling at her wrists, she removed the two cursed cuffs that had long been cured and altered into a magic item.

“Eunha, listen to me, feed off my magic.”

Eunha was unconscious, so Sowon could only hope that her voice made it through to Eunha’s soul, urging her to feed off of her massive magic aura. In fact, with her limiters off, the concentration of magic particles were so condensed that they became tangible.

“Eunha please, just take me in.”

Slowly but surely, Eunha’s body reacted to the magic particles, increasing her bodily recovery, bringing her back to consciousness. Eunha stared at her hand as it graphically wove the cut closed.

“Oh my god.”

“Eunha!”

Hugging her tightly, Sowon sobbed, finally able to reveal her awareness. The time travel had sent her back to the day before Eunha exploded the last magic barrier to the base and she had been waiting and baiting the people around her to make things work exactly the way they were originally supposed to, only changing the wish. It was painful to see Eunha stabbed again, but it had to be done for her wish to even be heard.

“Impossible, you brought her back from the dead? You monster!”

“She never died. But you will.”

Sowon moved to dispose of what her former friend had become, but Eunha held her back.

“Let’s get out of here first and talk, my head is spinning.”

“But you-“

Eunha shut her up with a kiss on the cheek, to which she immediately raised a hand and blew open the side of the base away with a fire blast that was larger than any Eunha had seen before. The powers and magnitude of it were hidden by the limiters so much that even Eunha was a little spooked.

“You said your brother was coming, I gave him the perfect exit. Let’s go.”

Hefting Eunha onto her back, Sowon sprinted out of the base faster than Eunha had ever experienced, even faster than the time Sowon carried her around at the academy.

“Are you using magic to boost your speed?”

“There’s a reason why I’m the top at the academy.”

Eunha blinked, she had been feeling weird the entire time, but the question nagged at her still even with the evidence in front of her.

“Do you remember everything?”

“Yes.”

“Then you-“

“Let’s talk about this later.”

Eunha shut and stayed still on Sowon’s back, she seemed angry. Resting comfortably against Sowon’s strong back, she could breathe in the magic particles radiating off of Sowon. The feeling was like being given water after a day under the sun, as if she had been going by every day with a hand tied behind her back, or her legs folded.

=========================

Explanation time:

Sowon when the first run through of the wish happened, wished for her memories to be returned. Oddly, it sent her back in time, precisely one day. With her returned memories, Sowon let everything happen exactly the same way in order to question the spirit of the prophecy even if it meant witnessing Eunha’s pain a second time.

This second wish allowed her to learn that the prophecy was not really a prophecy, rather an informational piece that told how to handle the power of the sun and moon. Eunha can use light magic because she literally lives feeding off of Sowon’s excess magic energy, which had been limited by her white and black cuffs that were originally cursed to never come off. But Sowon had it already cleansed and used them as just limiters.

Any other questions, do ask, this is almost over. I posted the two marks on my twitter @_So1derful_ because I am stupid and don’t know how to embed it in the chapter. And I’m bad with my hands so look, a scribble. There will be a full summary at the end or an extra explanation chapter.