chapter 19

I've got cupcakes

 

Eunha blinked as she came to on an infirmary cot, the familiar metal bars underneath easily making the thin cot as uncomfortable as possible. Grumbling under her breath, Eunha moved to sit up. She was alone, and it was night. Curling her knees to her chest, she hugged herself, keeping herself warm.

“Sowon unnie…must have gone back to her room.”

Leaning her cheek on her arms, Eunha looked out the dark window, the moon shining brightly through the clear night sky. The temperature on campus indoors was always temperate, outside, not so forgiving on the skin and body. Blinking her eyes as she gazed at the moon, she reminded herself not to stare too long.

“The light from the moon is just a reflection of the sun.”

The blinding glow would still cause some damage to the human eyes if it were bright enough and they stared long enough. Leaning on her other cheek, Eunha looked around the lonely infirmary.

“The moon does not emit any form of light on its own.”

She thought back to before she came here, a prophecy of sorts was given to her before she had been severely injured and brought here to be treated. Thinking through the lines, her eyes shut halfway, lowering her gaze to the blanket around her.

“Protect the sun.”

Eunha thought maybe Sowon was the sun, her mother had told her that she was only the moon, never explained what else the prophecy meant.

“The sun’s curse is the burden of the moon.”

But Sowon didn’t have any curses on her, Chungha, Sowon’s senior friend, was capable of removing curses. Was it a bad fate? Was it the reason why they had so many things to deal with recently? She held her right hand in front of her, rubbing harshly at the back of her hand, a very faint outline of a mark appeared. Covering her hand with a layer of water to finish washing off the skin paint, Eunha stared at the mark of her people.

“How intriguing that the prophecy speaks of suns and moons.”

Tracing the mark on her right hand, Eunha could only blankly stare as it glowed under her touch, the figure of a sun with an eclipse, and arrow through its center and a vine surrounding it completely. Hearing the sound of something dropping, Eunha looked up. She thought she had been alone.

“Eunha? What is that mark?”

Shoving her hand into her blanket, Eunha looked away as Sowon came closer. She kneeled at the bedside and looked up at Eunha.

“If you don’t want to share, it’s okay.”

Eunha nodded as Sowon reached to put a hand on her shoulder.

“Do you feel better to go sleep in a better bed?”

“Am I allowed to leave here?”

“They wanted you gone as soon as you woke up, come on, I’ll carry you to my room.”

“But I-“

“Shhh, I still want to keep an eye on you. The doctors wouldn’t tell me what was giving you pain, all I can do is be there, I guess.”

Sowon lifted Eunha easily, her strong arms supporting Eunha’s back and under her knees. Pushing the door open with her back, Sowon easily made it to the senior towers before having trouble.

“Um…Eunha?”

“Yea?”

“Could you reach into my back pocket for me phone? You know, just to unlock the gate?”

Eunha nodded and reached back, slipping her hand easily into Sowon’s back pocket, Eunha flushed as she realized where she put her hand, quickly pulling the phone out, she tapped it to the reader and hid her face behind the phone, hiding her blush.

“Haha, cute. I don’t mind. Not when it’s an accident anyways. Do you want to wash up first? Or just sleep?”

“That depends if you want to be clean in your own bed.”

“Hm, I would offer to shower, but at this time, Nayeonie would get mad at me for making a ruckus.”

“Who?”

“My downstairs neighbor, her team lives one floor below and the showers apparently have bad pipes this high up.”

Eunha hummed as Sowon got them inside her room, shutting her door with a kick. Placing Eunha on the bed, Sowon went to remove her shoes and get clothes for Eunha to change to sleep in.

“Here, you wore these the other day, I washed it already, I didn’t think you’d be back this quick.”

“Th-thank you.”

Eunha consciously made sure to use her left hand to do things, keeping her right hand hidden. She would tell Sowon, but the conflicting feeling behind whether or not she was the sun made her uncertain. Even if Sowon wasn’t the sun, she could trust her, but then again she’d get herself involved and…complications. Tucked into the same large hoodie, Eunha curled up into a small ball on the bed, taking up as little space as possible. She felt small tonight.

“Eunbi? Are you okay?”

“I’m f-fine.”

“Then, can I hug you to sleep? It would settle better on my mind if I could make sure you’re okay.”

“Okay.”

Sowon’s smile seemed blinding at the moment, closing her eyes to rest, Eunha shivered under Sowon’s touch. She was still a little unsure what to feel towards her mentor, after all, Sowon’s kindness could be just because of her position in her life, or that was just the way she displayed affection. She did run off really fast to go save her friend Chungha, she saw it happen before she passed out after all. Releasing her knees from her tight ball, she let Sowon’s hands wrap around her waist, it was comfortable and Eunha welcomed it as it helped her relax.

Sowon smiled as she felt Eunha’s tenseness dissipate, listening carefully for Eunha’s soft breaths, she counted them until it evened out and she fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You’re kidding me.”

“I told you it was a bad idea.”

“We got into the jail cell twice in a row!”

“And don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“Contact our insider, we need that illusionist slave to break out, but she needs an order to, get our insider to pass that message.”

“What should it say?”

“Anything to make her rampage. Do what you must.”

The contractor looked warily at his leader who waved him off, he had a bad feeling about this.

“I think-“

“I don’t care.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yuju was peacefully asleep when an asleep Yerin flopped on top of her, her weight instantly choking the air out of her lungs. Coughing as she regained her oxygen, Yuju whined as she shoved Yerin’s body off of herself and onto the mattress.

“I swear she said she had no sleeping habits!”

Pushing Yerin into a proper sleeping position, Yuju groaned as Yerin’s arms tugged onto her waist and stuck her face into Yuju’s chest.

“Hold it in Yuna, she’s asleep. It’s fine. Fine.”

She’d handle it in the morning, when the crankiness of 3am wasn’t bothering her.

============

ay, I'm back. Eunhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa has aaaaaaaaaaaa weirddddddd familyyyyyyyyyy but I won't be explaining that just yet :P