chapter 21

I've got cupcakes

Sowon rubbed her wrists as she waited for her toast to pop out of the toaster, they were uncomfortably warm and something was irritating her. Thankfully, she got Eunha into the shower before she had the time to ask, or notice, whichever it was.

“Should I go get an ice pack from the infirmary?”

She pondered to herself, her right wrist burning more than usual. Peeling back her sleeve to look, Sowon grimaced as the purple veins of cursed magic pulsed through her skin as her body naturally was trying to reject it.

“Did I really have to use that on that girl? Jeez.”

Sticking her arm in the freezer temporarily to relieve herself of the burning sensation, Sowon put on a smile as Eunha exited the bathroom, the fluffy towel over her head accenting her cutest features. Her cute button nose, her big eyes that were hidden under her beautiful eyelashes at times, anything you pointed out to Sowon, she probably would find it cute. It’s just the way she was born, loving cute babies, cute clothes, even cute accessories despite her size.

Many people often told her that it didn’t suit her, for a girl with a model’s proportions to be trying to look so cute that eventually she just kept the cute things hidden in a closet. (That cat eared hoodie was her guilty pleasure when she snuck out last year for a shopping spree and nothing important.)

“Do you feel refreshed? Eunha?”

“Of course, unnie should hurry and shower too, before the hot water is all gone from the others waking.”

Even though they were both up a little later than usual, it was still considered early for the other students, with the convenience of a personal shower, Sowon considered herself lucky that the water even worked at this floor of the senior towers.

“I’ll go after I eat one toast, the second one is yours, but if you want more you can just help yourself.”

She quickly spread jam on her toast before folding it in half and shoving it in .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunha sat on Sowon’s couch, thinking back to the markings on Sowon’s wrist, the pulsating purple there that seemed to represent the color of curses. If it was a curse, that raised the possibility of Sowon being the sun in her prophecy, but if it was a side effect of what she gathered was the possible magically imbued cuffs, she could still have not found the sun. She knew she had a time limit, but she didn’t know what to do with it, or when to do anything.

Rubbing her chin, Eunha pouted as she thought some more. Protecting the sun….would mean that she had to protect Sowon, if Sowon was the sun, but Sowon…was stronger than her, by several leagues even. No way in heck would Sowon need Eunha’s help in protecting herself, in fact, she’d probably be a burden if she tried to help out.

Ruffling her short hair in frustration, Eunha leaned back on the couch and closed her eyes. She’d think some more later, when she had gotten some of her regained energy out of her system.

“What’s wrong?”

Opening her eyes to see an upside down Sowon, Eunha quickly sat up and shook her head, the towel still on her head. Sowon had just draped her towel over her upper back, preventing her wet hair from getting her shirt wet.

“You don’t want to talk about it?”

“Not yet. Unnie, I’ll dry your hair for you.”

Sowon chuckled a little before she slide behind Eunha and brought her hands up, stopping Eunha from moving.

“I’ll dry yours first, warm up magic, but try not to burn my hair okay?”

“Hey, you know how delicate I am with my fire!”

“Hahaha, of course I do, that’s why I’m just a little worried.”

Laughing as Eunha slapped her thigh, Sowon warmed her hands up, sort of using them like an iron, she carefully styled Eunha’s hair the way she had seen it.

“Unnie, do you want me to just dry them straight? Or do you have a comb for your hair?”

“Just do it straight, this unruly mess always gets curly on its own anyways.”

“Alright.”

Like that, their peaceful morning started without so much of a warning.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Yuna, please, for the love of all that holy, let go of that pot.”

Yuju looked innocently at Yerin, placing the pot on the stove carefully.

“If you needed a light, you have one right here.”

“Huh? What does that mean? Unnie isn’t a light?”

Yerin grumbled and stepped in between Yuju and the stove, snapping her fingers and igniting them, Yerin flicked on the gas and touched her flame to it, successfully starting the stovetop properly.

“If you kept switching it but it doesn’t light, just call me. A simple flame is nothing.”

“If you say so unnie.”

“I’m being serious though! What if you filled our dorm with gas! We could all burn or suffocate!”

Yerin nudged Yuju further from the stove with her hip, her hands now tending to the bloating noodles in Yuju’s pot. Expertly navigating the kitchen, Yerin prepared everything for her own brunch while tending to Yuju’s attempt.

“Besides, if you wanted food, I’d….I’d cook for you.”

“You would? Thanks unnie!”

Yuju seemed blissfully unaware of Yerin’s emotions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SinB stepped out of her classroom, letting out a yawn, she rubbed away the tears before moving towards the path to dorm, wanting to make sure that Umji was safe and healthy was her top priority of the moment. She had treated Umji with the usual distance when they first met and became partners, she was just bad at socializing. Over time, they did more and more things together that SinB was worried that her cold and stoic persona wasn’t working anymore. But when she lost Umji during the kidnapping, she decided that change wasn’t bad.

Turning the corner with her thoughts filled with her partner, SinB accidentally bumped into another student and knocked them to the ground. They both had dropped their phones so they both picked what they thought was their own and apologized quickly.

“Sorry about that, my head was in the clouds.”

“No problem, I was also careless, turning that corner at that speed.”

Nodding each other good day, SinB tucked her phone into her pocket, only, she had a nagging feeling that it wasn’t her phone, despite it looking exactly the same with the same wallpapers and passwords.

“I must be delusional, missing my partner so much that daily function is too difficult.”

“There’s the blip! She’s got the phone that matches the evidence!”

SinB was stopped by the two staff workers who were holding a tablet, tracking a phone…that was in her pocket?

“She’s the one who did it!”

“Excuse me? What did I do?”

“She’s the murderer! Get her quick!”

“Wait? Huh?”

SinB, too stunned to move, let her arms be put behind her back as they cuffed her with magic stamina draining cuffs, they instantly reduced her vitality and her vision began to blur.

“Damn it, I was supposed to…see…Yewon…”

=============

omomomomo someone go save SinB!